Official 2019 Georgia Finds - Post here.

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by pastorj, Feb 20, 2019.

1. CJones

CJones Morel Enthusiast

Same here! Found my first morel ever yesterday in the woods at my house in Carroll Co.! Great feeling to FINALLY find them, isn't it?!

Attached Files:

eidolon, Toastyjakes, Jbarr and 4 others like this.
  2. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

WARNING: Morel Fever is a serious addiction. And YES it is a GREAT feeling EVERYTIME you find them! Congrats!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    CJones and (deleted member) like this.

3. IzzyH

IzzyH Morel Enthusiast

Ok. Six hours looking in Eatonton, Jasper county, oconnee forest. Found fiddle heads, lambs ears (mullein), trillium, lots of privit and poplars. I am good at finding four leaf covers, even while riding a horse. My husband has great eyes, so brought him along in case. What are we doing wrong ?

4. Tazyrus

Tazyrus Young Morel

Hit one spot in newton today with no luck so I decided to go check out jasper county. Scouted out a creek and went walking along and found my first few ever. No trails, just followed the creek ducking and weaving through at least a mile of privet and mixed woods to find a small patch. Is it a good bet that more will pop up in the coming weeks in the same area?

5. IzzyH

IzzyH Morel Enthusiast

Thanks so much for sharing. We were right there with you. Patience and tenacity will pay off. The more i read about how delicious they are, the more determined I am to find them.

6. uncle fester

uncle fester Morel Enthusiast

Nothing. A couple days of 65-70 degrees in a row, should be on them.

Jbarr likes this.
  7. uncle fester

I'm chomping at the bit now. Going to check my early spot today after work. Fingers crossed.

Jbarr and Bonsai like this.
  8. stasiakj

stasiakj Morel Enthusiast

I live in Birmingham and have traveled back to my Atlanta sweet spots. Nothing yet.

1 person likes this.
  9. buckhunter747

buckhunter747 Young Morel

To those who are finding the Morels, how far from the creek banks are ya'll finding them? Also, from someone who has a lot of research on Morels says that when it has been a very wet season you will see the morels all bunched up near the host tree. When dry the morels will be scattered out as far as the limbs of the host tree will stretch. He also claims to have a good fruiting that the ground temps during the winter needs to have at least 200 hours of freeze time. Therefor, I thought it was a mild winter and I do not think this season will produce much with the intense rain and mild temps. However, we won't know until we get out there and hunt. So, good luck to all and report your findings and all other details!

10. Clawley

Clawley Morel Enthusiast

I am currently finding them about 50 meters off the creek. But I’m mostly picking lots of M. diminutiva so far. Always under poplar. Some right on the tree... some 30ft out. The few M. Americana I found today were the same distance. They we’re under ash in Morgan County. Some counties have already seen mass fruitings so I’d like to think the seasons gonna be just fine. Just may have to find new spots is all.

11. Clawley

Clawley Morel Enthusiast

Since Cobb is still waiting I decided to drive down through Morgan County today and scout new spots. 2 out of 4 stops turned out fruitful! Found over 100 Morchella diminutiva. All under Tulip poplar of course. Found a few younger M. americana along the way. One particular mushroom was growing directly out of a Puttyroot Orchid rhizome. I included a picture because I thought it was pretty interesting. Even that far south... the season was JUST picking up. Anyone who’s not seeing em yet... hang tight. Yours are on the way. We split up 2 or 3 pounds of morels with some friends and had a great day in the hardwood stands of the South Georgia.

Attached Files:

Jbarr, Pensaul, Tazyrus and 1 other person like this.
  12. Clawley

Clawley Morel Enthusiast

Cobb County spots are popping!
    Found lots of young ones around the base of the first section of privet and decided to stop there. Don’t want to accidentally step on anything coming up. I’ll check on em in a week.

Attached Files:

Pensaul, eastenn, Jbarr and 4 others like this.
  13. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Your pics are killing me Clawley! But thanks anyway. Man I would like to revisit that spot with you in a week. I leave spots like that up here in Mo. but usually a dead elm, Any bets on how many you pick in that spot? Over a 100? I assume it is in a place no one else has access to? Well if I ever get down to Georgia to hunt morels after I retire I may need to hire you as a guide rather than flounder around hoping to get lucky.

Jbarr likes this.
  14. seal30124

seal30124 Young Morel

looked at a new spot today. Found a few more smaller that I left for later Morels 3_18_19.JPG

Pensaul, IzzyH, Jbarr and 2 others like this.
  15. stasiakj

stasiakj Morel Enthusiast

Looked at my spot in Fayette County yesterday. Nothing. Checked my spot in Forest Park the week before. Nothing. Is it still early in the Atlanta area?

16. Clawley

Clawley Morel Enthusiast

Found a new spot in Fayette three days ago. They were all under privet and just starting. However I found another new spot today(also Fayette) that yielded 2 or 3 lbs. A lot of areas got flooded this year. If a patch had standing water for more than a couple days it knocks it out of commission for a while. Usually takes multiple seasons to rebuild and loosen up the sunken soil again. Just keep looking elsewhere. You’ll land em soon!

Attached Files:

17. uncle fester

I think it is still early for Atlanta. Cooler temps. Will check today.

Bonsai likes this.
  18. NCRealEstateGuy

NCRealEstateGuy Morel Enthusiast

Let us know Uncle... I'm in Charlotte and if you find them in Atlanta, then they should be here too. I last checked 5 days ago and there were none here. We have had nights between 30 and 32 degrees the last five days, so I doubt if they have popped here. But last night and moving forward, the real cold is gone. I am guessing by mid next week, they will be up.

19. eidolon

eidolon Morel Connoisseur

A guy on the NC facebook mushroom group posted pix of a basketful he said he picked last weekend in a town about 20 miles due west of Charlotte. I can't remember the name of the town, but it was straight west of Charlotte.

IzzyH and (deleted member) like this.
  20. IzzyH

IzzyH Morel Enthusiast

We went south on Tuesday, West Point area. Got six little ones. Finally got to taste what all the fuss is about. Super motivated now!