Official 2019 Georgia Finds - Post here.

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by pastorj, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Mark Heller

Mark Heller Young Morel

Walked along the Silver Comet Trail and found Zilch in Hiram. Still very cold at night.

2. Toastyjakes

Toastyjakes Morel Enthusiast

Leaving for vacation tonight, should hit around Atlanta about 8am tomorrow morning... Ready to get my first hunt of the year, first out of state hunt, and hopefully first monster patch out of the way early

3. Bonsai

Bonsai Morel Enthusiast

Just was down there and I believe it's just a bit early need some heat and they should be a popping.Ive hunted 26 yrs now and you know how u can tell when the woods is right.Good luck I'll be back next week and just case u didn't know they grow big down there.#SHROOMON

4. Toastyjakes

That's just my stop on the way in to get a bit of a driving break... Staying in Savannah and gonna branch out daily to look, but good tip thanks!

5. Toastyjakes

Searched outside a rest stop an hour southeast of atlanta.. Number 22 I believe lol.. then drove to gordonia alatmaha and searched there... Too dry that way and what is with the pine trees in this state???
    So many needles where I searched the mushrooms would never make it as the grass couldnt..
    I really wanted to find something this week but I'm not sure I will... Going to Tugaloo on Wednesday to stay a couple days in a yurt and wandering through the woods lol

Any help to finding just one morel in Georgia would be much appreciated.

IzzyH likes this.
  6. IzzyH

IzzyH Morel Enthusiast

Went out today north of Atlanta and nothing. I think the temps are finally warm enough but now we need rain.
    Thanks for sharing and good luck.

Toastyjakes likes this.
  7. eidolon

eidolon Morel Connoisseur

You have to hunt by running water in the South; creeks, sandy bottoms, away from pine and oak (and don't waste too much time by the bigger rivers). They like privet, ash trees, sycamores, hackberries, elms. On the Georgia Morel Hunters facebook page, there is a map of the Counties, marked by dates where morels have first been found here since the end of February. It's worth taking a close look at it. It's a tricky business down here. I drove 200 miles on Saturday, hunted in 5 places (one of which where I *know* morels were found last year), and I came away with NOTHING.

1 person likes this.
  8. Toastyjakes

Gonna head to some woods south of Augusta and search a few hours.. used for some hunting so there's some streams and creeks running though it... I just wanna find one haha

9. Toastyjakes

Heading to ft yargo tomorrow.... Skunked again today... Must push north... Must figure out where pine trees don't prevail

10. Bonsai

Bonsai Morel Enthusiast

Are you below the fall line

Toastyjakes likes this.
  11. Toastyjakes

Have been all week but traveling above it to look... Today's is yargo and surrounding tomorrow it's Tugaloo where they should be

12. eidolon

I don't see any creeks on that spit of land that is the park. I don't think the lake itself will help you...I think you need *running* water. It's a frustrating thing, I know. I haven't found a single one since the end of Feb...

Toastyjakes likes this.
  13. Toastyjakes

Well I think for someone who came down to look for them that next time I'll stay in Illinois where I know they are... Basically wasted a whole vacation because of pine trees and complete lack of woods for the public to just be able to walk in..

Complete waste to get so excited and then realize that you accomplished nothing but wasting money and driving 15 hours to do something new

14. eidolon

There is the big green WMA to the northwest of Tugaloo, and west of Toccoa Falls, lots of creeks in that forest, it looks like, and I'm sure the time is right for that area. I've not hunted there before, and don't want to send anybody on a wild goose chase, but if I were in that general area, that's where I would look around. We had good rain yesterday afternoon. It had been mighty dry this past weekend. I don't know how long it takes for a new flush to pop up after rain, though. Good luck.

Toastyjakes likes this.
  15. Toastyjakes

Well when we were around Atlanta a few days ago it was a bit chilly and dry and seemed about a week off good hunting.. Tugaloos weather looked nice this week

16. Toastyjakes

Just crazy different here lol

Illinois you can walk our and find them in your hedge row or tree line or growing next to your sidewalk.. here I feel like I have to pay a black market Sherpa to guide me to them lol

eidolon likes this.
  17. Phil Edmiston

Phil Edmiston Young Morel

Do you know where any state of federal grounds in Greene county?

1 person likes this.
  18. eidolon

My friend, *look at the map* on Google. The Oconee National Forest occupies about HALF of Greene County. (I've hunted there 3 times so far, have found nothing, but others I know have found a motherlode there)...

1 person likes this.
  19. eidolon

I've lived around north Georgia nearly all my life (60+) years. Until I started hunting morels actively last year, I had only spotted ONE of them in my entire life, so far as I can remember, and I've spent a lot of time in the woods, my whole life. I saw it about 10 years ago, growing right at the base of a big sycamore tree, on a sandy path right beside a river, very easy to spot. I vaguely knew it was a morel mushroom, and assumed it must be poisonous... This Spring, folks south of Atlanta who know how to find them, have been bringing them in by the bushel (Ga. Morel Hunters group on fb), but it's a skill I haven't quite developed yet. I drove over 200 miles this past Saturday, hunted 5 places, and found zilch. Part of the scarcity here may be due to the fact that so much hardwood habitat was chopped down here in the past 100 years, and those areas were replanted with pine, which has spread all over. Morels don't go for a habitat where pines are predominant. And people who know insist that, in GA., you need to hunt by running streams or you're wasting your time.

Toastyjakes and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Toastyjakes

In oconee now on our way up... Finding out what you were saying... Pines don't like the streams and about 50tds around them... Gonna find some streams with Google and get after it for a couple hours