Official 2019 Georgia Finds - Post here.

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by pastorj, Feb 20, 2019.

1. uncle fester

uncle fester Morel Enthusiast

Finally started here in Atlanta. 20190326_112936.jpg 20190326_112345.jpg

Toastyjakes and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Walter80

Walter80 Morel Enthusiast

I am new to the forum but have hunted morels for 30 years. Started out young in Martinsville, Indiana. I have hunted for 6 years here in Georgia and have had great luck every year. This batch was found North of Atlanta this morning.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019

3. eidolon

eidolon Morel Connoisseur

People on fb found some on Big Creek on Saturday and Sunday, which runs from Oconee Co, up to Oglethorpe Co, near Wolfskin Road, east of Athens. I think they were both in the Oglethorpe Co. end of the creek (to the north). The morels they picked were kind of dry looking, a little sunburned. Your best luck now it seems is to the north of I-85, heading towards the mountains. I'd look around Dahlonega, if you're driving back north.

Toastyjakes and (deleted member) like this.
  4. eidolon

What county?

5. Walter80

On the eastern side maybe. Atlanta and due north to Rome just getting started. I have been up and down the 75 corridor and hunted “everywhere”. Signs are there and temps are here.

1 person likes this.
  6. Walter80

Cobb and Bartow. Red Top Mountain.

Bonsai and eidolon like this.
  7. eidolon

Thanks. I'm going to hunt in AL, due west of Rome this weekend. There is a lot of pine over there, and I've not done it there before. In Alabama they *believe* in keeping their National Forests *well-trimmed*, ahem. We'll see how it goes.

8. eidolon

I'm sorry, geographic correction: by Oconee Co. above, I *meant* Greene Co. (which is the home of the Oconee Natl. Forest, so I have that excuse, at least). Oconee COUNTY is west of Oglthorpe Co.(with Clarke in between). Sorry...Morels have been found in all of em by now, just not by yours truly...

9. Walter80

Due west of Rome might still be a week out. I would focus on just a hair further south but Alabama a little different then Georgia I guess. They will grow when mother nature decides they will. I still think that northern area is a week or so behind still. I have not hunted in Alabama ever myself. My brother just drove through a couple rest areas in Alabama Louisiana and Texas and said that the morels weren’t very good out in that area right now I think that freeze Kinda hurt them.

10. eidolon

Thanks. I think I will be a little south of Rome, more like the area around Piedmont, AL, the northern extent of the Talladega Natl Forest, and some south of there. It's a lot of land, with not many people around. It's beautiful there this time of year.

11. Walter80

Awesome good luck and may The Great Morel be with you. Don’t for get to post pics. ;-)

12. Bonsai

Bonsai Morel Enthusiast

I came last yr first spot nailed big yellows day 2 same thing I've hunted ohio my whole life and last yr was first on ga was there last week to early I'll be back this week and I'm hopi g to find them again.hey and after all it's the chase that makes it do exciting #SHROOMON

1 person likes this.
  13. the_hick

the_hick Young Morel

Found 15 or so in Paulding yesterday. Will try to add pictures when I get to my desktop.

14. the_hick

the_hick Young Morel

Has anyone else had any luck in Bartow County yet?

15. the_hick

the_hick Young Morel

Hey folks, I’m currently waiting to hear back from an administrator on the site here regarding a north Georgia video I’m trying to post. The video is north Georgia specific (Paulding, Bartow, Polk and Floyd Counties). I understand why the video is getting marked as spam but hopefully they’ll review it and see that it could be beneficial, especially for those having trouble finding the right habitat and trying to find their first morels. So if you’re in north Georgia and would like to see the video, message me and I can send it to you. Hopefully it’ll get approved soon because I think the peak is coming!

Toastyjakes likes this.
  16. Toastyjakes

Toastyjakes Morel Enthusiast

If you could message me that video that would be awesome .. out looking now... Following flowing creeks

Bonsai likes this.
  17. Bonsai

Bonsai Morel Enthusiast

18. A fun guy

A fun guy Morel Enthusiast

Alot of the same but near me it seems to be mostly tulip poplars actually.

19. A fun guy

A fun guy Morel Enthusiast