Official 2020 Georgia Finds - Post here.

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by pastorj, Feb 8, 2020.

1. herbinc alabama

herbinc alabama Morel Enthusiast

Let’s do it brother. I’ll also be ramping in north Ga if you want to join.

2. Jpuette

Jpuette Morel Enthusiast

16CCA94E-96D5-427B-A82B-5C6A22F04DBE.jpeg Picked these today so as to save some from the freeze.

3. morelmaniac78

morelmaniac78 Morel Enthusiast

Did you find these where it is open to the sun all/most of the day?

4. Jpuette

Jpuette Morel Enthusiast

In a small privet hedge on the edge of a field. At the bottom of a south facing slope.

5. Tammy1713

Tammy1713 Young Morel

Did you find the middle, upper or lower Georgia area... I am at the Savannah South Carolina area near Ridgeland South Carolina never hunted the area before...

6. Jpuette

Jpuette Morel Enthusiast

Danielsville Ga

7. Bob Gosnell

Bob Gosnell Young Morel

I see the weather is going to cool off by you a bit, what do you think that will do? Make for a longer season or shorter? On average how long are you able to pick down there? I'm from Wisconsin just north of Illinois border about 30 miles still got a couple months here before they start to pop. Last year we got to hunt about 3 weeks around here maybe 4 it was my 1st year a absolutely awesome. Got about 5 lbs total got 3 lbs is a friends backyard that lived in town Lol. Also found a couple really nice spots but it was a few days too late as they were already dying made me cry! If I could afford a 2 week vacation would live to head down there. But otherwise best of luck to you all and keep posting the picks I love seeing them eventhough it makes me jealous.!

2 people like this.
  8. eidolon

eidolon Morel Connoisseur

In central GA, the season goes from about now until about 4/15, depending on how fast it gets hot, and how hot it gets. We have been having way too much rain in the past 2 months, and it was worse last year - morels here grow mostly only by streams, and flooding "kills" them, seemingly, or stops them from fruiting for up to 3 years (they say). A hard freeze will "burn" them. It's pretty dicey here, and they are hard to find. In my whole life (63), I had only seen ONE morel in GA before I began to actively hunt for them, and even still, I've seen very few in the past 3 years. In the South, it's really like a scavenger hunt...

9. Jpuette

Jpuette Morel Enthusiast

Last year was only about two weeks for me. We had a late freeze that wiped all the small ones out. I still saved enough to last me for the year. The year before lasted around a month, which was my first year hunting. As far as extending or shortening the season here I couldn’t say. About 50% of the area that I know they grow has started, but there are still some areas that haven’t popped yet. One cold snap shouldn’t hurt too bad, but if we have another big swing in temps like we had a couple weeks ago, it’s not going to be good for me.

Bob Gosnell and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Connoisseur

Odd, that's were I find most of mine...around privet hedge here in Texas. Found my first 2 for this season. Now there are elms nearby as well but they seem to love privet hedge cover.

Attached Files:

Bob Gosnell and (deleted member) like this.
  11. newtimmy

newtimmy Morel Connoisseur

PastorJ & M geologist, I appreciate the post of early finds.. It helps all southern hunters that are paying attention. I will update within a few hours when Bham, Al pops.. From the looks of weather and forecasts, its probably March 5-10 range

eidolon and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

This is a prime description in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  13. eidolon

Photos of a couple of morels were posted on the GA. Morels fb page yesterday, 2/25, from LaGrange GA.

2 people like this.
  14. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

That is very nice , happy for you.

1 person likes this.
  15. eidolon

Henry Co., near Stockbridge, a guy on the GA. Morels fb group found a single morel today, 2/26.

1 person likes this.
  16. eidolon

All of these finds so far in GA and in AL are on nearly exactly the same latitude, spaced many miles apart (except the guy up in Madison Co Ga. who's had no documentary back up)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    1 person likes this.
  17. eidolon

Jasper Co., one morel found, 2/26/20. Ga. Morel fb group....

1 person likes this.
  18. Jpuette

Jpuette Morel Enthusiast

I don’t believe it unless it’s signed by a notary public.

19. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

So Very Helpful.. and Excellent Reporting @eidolon Thank You

eidolon likes this.
  20. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Now All of us ...Knowing that any prediction is just a Guess.. coupled with information and Our past seasons to compare it to...
    Still i Feel compelled to post that...
    from what i see and am Feeling is !!!
    This looks like the Making of a Very Normal Season for Everyone of Us
    from South and all the Way Northward
    as Our Progression Pop Pop Pops.
    but we just don't Really know, do we
    as for what is Certain;
    *The Mystery and Our Love of the Hunt
    Will Always Be....
    and in My Head and Heart I'm again and always, Waiting, Watching and Scouting and Hoping and Hunting & Hunting & Hunting, BELIEVEING and Knowing that one of these Seasons We Will all find Ourselves...
    Out There Standing right in the middle of the Biggest Popping FLUSH of Morels and Fungi
    that any of Us alive today have Ever seen..
    " The Hundred Year Hunt "
    i Remember My Great Grandad talking about it when i was just a Boy...
    There were So.. So Many Morels its all They ate for Months... Any Place a They would step in the woods..
    Morels Were Everywhere...
    i Believe and am sure this Same ..
    " Hundred Year Hunt "
    will happen again in Our Time....
    i Expect it.. i Have a Love for it..
    " I Won't Know if I Don't Go "
    So i keep Hunting....