Official 2020 Georgia Finds - Post here.

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by pastorj, Feb 8, 2020.

1. pondman

pondman Morel Enthusiast

went out for an hour for a look see and found two in southeast Dawson county today

1 person likes this.
  2. ianyhendersonIII

ianyhendersonIII Morel Enthusiast

Pondman

Got it... was going to head up that way tomorrow for a few hours of hunting if you'd be interest in teaming up. Good luck

3. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Oh man! I love seeing pics like that! Never viewed anything like that in person, but I'm always hoping. And like someone else wrote, I use them for eye training. See how many I can spot in the pic.

2 people like this.
  4. stasiakj

stasiakj Morel Connoisseur

How does it look in the Newnan north to Forest Park area? Is the season done there? I have a few spots in those areas I haven't hit this season.

5. Jesse Duke

Jesse Duke Young Morel

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200327151744533_COVER.jpg IMG_20200327_151625.jpg Checking in from Carrollton, GA. Over the past few days I've found my first morels. This is my first season looking and I've managed to find about 45 or so on my property. I think I missed some of the early flush in the low lying area, as those I did find were older and nearly spoiled surrounded by lots of half-eaten hollow stems peaking up through the leaves. That being said, I am finding several smaller specimens at higher elevations in the same area.

They are delicious! I'm pretty amazed by the unique flavor.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    3 people like this.
  6. jashroomer

jashroomer Morel Connoisseur

Congrats, and the need to find more only gets worse, or better depending on how you look at it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Acart002

Acart002 Young Morel

First time going out and looking today. Checked a few different spots here in Augusta, GA and no luck. Thinking I might be a little late this year.

8. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

im thinking you are right ..read back some pages to confirm

9. Tummyacheosta

Tummyacheosta Young Morel

The family and I were finding Morels in Augusta as early as March 14th (no proof... we ate them) and today we only found four of them all shriveled and dried up in the woods. (Again... no proof) just thought I'd let you know. Keep checking, but I think the ground temps are getting too high.

10. Acart002

Acart002 Young Morel

Thanks! Working at the hospital today but might try and get out and do some exploring tomorrow. I’ve never personally been out in Augusta Looking for them so I didn’t want to waste too much time looking if they’ve already passed. Thanks again!

11. Luke74

Luke74 Young Morel

found 5 back on march 24th - I'm beginning to think that i got lucky and caught all there was to find in a very short season here in my area (Woodstock, Ga).
    ...do you all agree?

12. mary e

mary e Young Morel

I am a total newbie so please be nice....:) I would assume there are no morels still around in May - correct? I will also assume I can plan to start looking in Feb. of next year in GA? I am excited already - thanks.

1 person likes this.
  13. Jpuette

Jpuette Morel Enthusiast

Yo
    You are correct Mary. Look forward to mid/late February or early March next year depending on the weather. Just keep an eye on these forums and you will get a better idea of when to get out and look.

14. wade

Welcome to you [email protected] e
    Wade here...
    If you go back to page 1 of this year..
    You will see that @pastorj Posted His first find on February 14th..
    Also I always Recommend that everyone of us and especially New Folks
    Will Benift Hughly..by going back a few Years
    At least as far as 2017 ..
    Start there and read forward..
    You will get to know Us and enjoy as if you are right there with us Hunting..
    . and you will learn the answers to most any questions,
    Already right there for you..
    Then you will be Very Much so Ready to jump in here with Us all..
    I Hunt Mostly in Bloomington Indiana Monroe County..
    Our season has just finished bout 10 days ago
    But Michigan is just now getting going good..

15. mary e

mary e Young Morel

Hi Wade...your reply was exactly what I hoped for - kind and informative - I will be ready - :)

1 person likes this.
  16. wade

No Pressure @mary e
    "Enjoy the Hunt"
    finding is just a little part of it