Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
If anyone finds morels popping up in Fayette County, please let me know. I live in Birmingham but have missed the timing in my travels there the last 2 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Moved down from the morel-rich area of Pennsylvania to South-East GA recently. Excited to hunt in a new environment; I already have figured out I'll need to drive atleast to NW of Augusta.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone, it's almost that time again. Please keep in mind the community expectations for a "First Find" is to have documentation to back it up. A newspaper, receipt, video, or some other proof that shows the date will suffice.

For many, a first find is data used to gauge previous years and determine how far out ones local spots may start producing.

Don't be surprised if your early find is critiqued without some sort of proof.

Based on the past two months' average temps (which are about 5 degrees less than the previous year) I'm thinking we are about two weeks behind last year's first find.

I guess we will see.

Either way, I think it's going to be an amazing year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone, it's almost that time again. Please keep in mind the community expectations for a "First Find" is to have documentation to back it up. A newspaper, receipt, video, or some other proof that shows the date will suffice.

For many, a first find is data used to gauge previous years and determine how far out ones local spots may start producing.

Don't be surprised if your early find is critiqued without some sort of proof.

Based on the past two months' average temps (which are about 5 degrees less than the previous year) I'm thinking we are about two weeks behind last year's first find.

I guess we will see.

Either way, I think it's going to be an amazing year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Moved down from the morel-rich area of Pennsylvania to South-East GA recently. Excited to hunt in a new environment; I already have figured out I'll need to drive atleast to NW of Augusta.
Not necessarily...we already have funds documented a little above Macon.

I don’t think you’ll need to travel that Far...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I actually found a small batch in south Oconee county on March 8th. They are very much like the ones in this photo. These are my little sentinel guys. The larger morels should start popping after the rains next week happy hunting!
Awesome! I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I'm near Seneca in Oconee County. This is really my first year actually putting some effort into finding some Morels. I went and looked around a spot that seems really prime for about 2 hours yesterday. Didn't find any but it's good to get some more insight about this spot and what is around, tree types, etc. etc. I thought it was still a bit early cause the hardwoods have not really started much new growth, which I've been told is a great cue for Morels. However, I took my dog walking this morning and couldn't believe how much growth has popped up just since 24 hours ago, which excited me! But now I know some have been found right here by me so I'm really pumped now!! Thanks man. Good Luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Checked my early spots in Fulton, Dekalb, Cherokee County this weekend. Much drier than normal for sure. The rain this week will definitely be the trigger to pop them up. This weekend, going to be good I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awesome! I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I'm near Seneca in Oconee County. This is really my first year actually putting some effort into finding some Morels. I went and looked around a spot that seems really prime for about 2 hours yesterday. Didn't find any but it's good to get some more insight about this spot and what is around, tree types, etc. etc. I thought it was still a bit early cause the hardwoods have not really started much new growth, which I've been told is a great cue for Morels. However, I took my dog walking this morning and couldn't believe how much growth has popped up just since 24 hours ago, which excited me! But now I know some have been found right here by me so I'm really pumped now!! Thanks man. Good Luck!
Kevin
Kevin, I am in Oconee County, Georgia, not South Carolina. Depending on how much of that winter storm you guys got I would stay you are about three weeks away from significant finds....all depends on your ground temperature. But you are right....everything is really greening up. Good Luck!!!

41 - 60 of 89 Posts