Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great find! I've not seen the first one yet. Need to find a microclime area in Roswell/East Cobb. Think the Mtns. might be OK since things are a week or so behind past few years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone, it's almost that time again. Please keep in mind the community expectations for a "First Find" is to have documentation to back it up. A newspaper, receipt, video, or some other proof that shows the date will suffice.

For many, a first find is data used to gauge previous years and determine how far out ones local spots may start producing.

Don't be surprised if your early find is critiqued without some sort of proof.

Based on the past two months' average temps (which are about 5 degrees less than the previous year) I'm thinking we are about two weeks behind last year's first find.

I guess we will see.

Either way, I think it's going to be an amazing year.
I just got here,.... so I'm gonna be stumbling around a bit til I learn my way around.

I live in Haralson County in N.W. Ga. (regardless of Face Book saying I live in Blue Ridge, Ga. I was TRYING to tell them I live in the Blue Ridge FOOTHILLS ,.. ) I discovered a small Morel on my property 3 days ago (while I was out in my woods taking photos of my woodland flowers and trees blooming) I CHANCED to discover a morel about 2 inches high when I moved a really old cast iron kettle that had been holding water (Mosquitos not wanted,.. plus the pot didn't need to be any rustier) I took 3 pictures with my fancy camera. The pix have a date of 04-04-21 on them (I posted them to my Face Book on that date also) This in Not my first time finding one,.... I found one last year about 75 feet from the recent one, both along the waterway of one of my many wet-weather-creeks I took a pix or two of That one also and it's somewhere in my PC)

I didn't make any big deal out of it. To me, it was just a feeling that I'd found a new friend in my woods. (My place also grows the endangered Lady-Slipper-orchids (naturally) but I've introduced (about 20-something years ago) Dark garnet colored Trilliums,.... 3 were bought and planted,.... but they love it at my place and now I have no less than maybe 100,.... not a bad 30 dollar investment,... tho I sure bit-the-bullet at the cost when I'd bought them. So now I discover I also have Morels,..... interesting,.... since I have a cooking Group at FB of over 1,300 members :D (Guess I better tell them :D )
(I have a long-time friend who's an environmentalist,... who had shown great interest when I'd said I had the Lady-Slippers on my place in GA. She wanted pix etc. to share at work,... because as far as her work knew, there were none in Ga.,.... consequently they have been able to update their data-base re. the precious orchids, to include GA. /Haralson, Co. Where my son, 10 miles north of me, also had Lady Slippers)

If I can,... I'll post my 4 recently taken pix of the one morel,... tomorrow I'll look at the place where I'd found the one last year (near the base of a tall Poplar tree,.... maybe 12 feet from it) and hopefully I'll find more to photograph,.... But here's the one from a few days ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone! I've never found morels despite my hunt for the last 8+ years. Unfortunately, it's mostly due to timing but I'd really love for this year to be the one. Has anyone had luck finding morels below the fall line? Like, what's the furthest south I could expect to see them? It's difficult for me to find the time to travel north and hunt. Would love for any tips if anyone has found morels below the fall line. Thanks and good luck everyone!
I'm unclear what you men by 'Below the Fall line'
????
I live off of I-20 about an hour West of Atlanta and I found one on my property last year, and another in a different place, 3 days ago .. both times when I was out in my woods taking photos of my many Spring Flowering plants,.... each time the discovery of a morel was a total surprise, because I Really wasn't even looking for them,.... But wild things in my woods fascinate me, so I try to stay knowledgeable of what's possible and am always alert to new finds (Never mind explaining Fall Line,.. I looked it up :D )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy @pastorj ..that is Very Exciting information.. Thank You
I hope I'm replying to the correct post,.....
Re. Trillium
I have a Bunch of Trillium at my place,.....BUT (big butt) It wasn't growing naturally on my property. I chanced to find some plants for sale at a Pike Nursery in the Marietta and I took a gamble that they MIGHT grow at my place. For me, at 10$ each (I got 3)they were expensive,..... But that was some 30 years ago,..... this is one of a Bunch of pix taken Sunday (April 4) of the place where I planted the initial 3,..... Within 15 or 20 minutes,.. about 20 feet away, I found a 2 inch Morel growing

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got here,.... so I'm gonna be stumbling around a bit til I learn my way around.

I live in Haralson County in N.W. Ga. (regardless of Face Book saying I live in Blue Ridge, Ga. I was TRYING to tell them I live in the Blue Ridge FOOTHILLS ,.. ) I discovered a small Morel on my property 3 days ago (while I was out in my woods taking photos of my woodland flowers and trees blooming) I CHANCED to discover a morel about 2 inches high when I moved a really old cast iron kettle that had been holding water (Mosquitos not wanted,.. plus the pot didn't need to be any rustier) I took 3 pictures with my fancy camera. The pix have a date of 04-04-21 on them (I posted them to my Face Book on that date also) This in Not my first time finding one,.... I found one last year about 75 feet from the recent one, both along the waterway of one of my many wet-weather-creeks I took a pix or two of That one also and it's somewhere in my PC)

I didn't make any big deal out of it. To me, it was just a feeling that I'd found a new friend in my woods. (My place also grows the endangered Lady-Slipper-orchids (naturally) but I've introduced (about 20-something years ago) Dark garnet colored Trilliums,.... 3 were bought and planted,.... but they love it at my place and now I have no less than maybe 100,.... not a bad 30 dollar investment,... tho I sure bit-the-bullet at the cost when I'd bought them. So now I discover I also have Morels,..... interesting,.... since I have a cooking Group at FB of over 1,300 members :D (Guess I better tell them :D )
(I have a long-time friend who's an environmentalist,... who had shown great interest when I'd said I had the Lady-Slippers on my place in GA. She wanted pix etc. to share at work,... because as far as her work knew, there were none in Ga.,.... consequently they have been able to update their data-base re. the precious orchids, to include GA. /Haralson, Co. Where my son, 10 miles north of me, also had Lady Slippers)

If I can,... I'll post my 4 recently taken pix of the one morel,... tomorrow I'll look at the place where I'd found the one last year (near the base of a tall Poplar tree,.... maybe 12 feet from it) and hopefully I'll find more to photograph,.... But here's the one from a few days ago. View attachment 37396 View attachment 37397
Congrats on the finds! I'm new to Morels and always follow the usual advice on trees and ground cover for areas in which to look. But no one has said they do grow in areas with pine! It's the soil thing I would think, organic rich with good soil drainage yet stays moist? I live in Roswell. Plenty of sandy creeks flowing into the Hooch, but no finds. Yet in similar areas in Bryson City I find morels, even well into August! One of these days I'll find a patch - gotta keep the faith!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congrats on the finds! I'm new to Morels and always follow the usual advice on trees and ground cover for areas in which to look. But no one has said they do grow in areas with pine! It's the soil thing I would think, organic rich with good soil drainage yet stays moist? I live in Roswell. Plenty of sandy creeks flowing into the Hooch, but no finds. Yet in similar areas in Bryson City I find morels, even well into August! One of these days I'll find a patch - gotta keep the faith!

One occasionally finds morels associated with pines. I have seen 2 of them in 4 years, noticed both of them sheerly by accident. They are apparently always the "diminutiva" species, tiny like the ones in Shara's photos. Those mushrooms are full grown, that is as big as they will ever get. I would not spend a lot of time looking for morels in association with pine trees. Just my 2 cents...

81 - 89 of 89 Posts