Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ohio 2021, Fall mushroom posts here

From Yesterday, Central OH - Franklin County

Yes, I actually found a holdout smattering of Chanterelles. Not enough to even bother collecting.
Botany Yellow Twig Adaptation Deciduous

Haven't bothered to identify further below, but reminded me (97%) sure, of the Resinous Polypores I collected and cooked and liked about 5 years ago.
Polyporales Mushroom Wood Organism Natural landscape

Plant Tree Wood Terrestrial plant Organism

Nature Wood Natural landscape Organism Yellow

Plant Nature Mushroom Organism Terrestrial plant

Uh, Oh! (below) Poacher's deer stand on the "Kings Land". I'd better not wear my antler-hat into the woods any more this season!! Ha!

Plant Tree Natural landscape Wood Terrestrial plant

Happy mushroom hunting adventures to you this Fall!! 馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Central OH - Franklin County

Yesterday, Saturday, I found these BABIES in the woods.
馃槑

Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Wood Adaptation

Plant Motor vehicle Grass Wood Woody plant

Maitake or "Hen of the Woods" just beginning to grow here in Central OH. The Fall "Good Times" are about to roll.

Happy Times in the Woods to everyone!! 馃槑

Registered
Ohio 2021, Fall mushroom posts here

From Yesterday, Central OH - Franklin County

Yes, I actually found a holdout smattering of Chanterelles. Not enough to even bother collecting.
View attachment 40719

Haven't bothered to identify further below, but reminded me (97%) sure, of the Resinous Polypores I collected and cooked and liked about 5 years ago.
View attachment 40720

View attachment 40721

View attachment 40722

View attachment 40723

Uh, Oh! (below) Poacher's deer stand on the "Kings Land". I'd better not wear my antler-hat into the woods any more this season!! Ha!

View attachment 40724

Happy mushroom hunting adventures to you this Fall!! 馃槑
Yeah! I've always loved seeing the 2x4's nailed between tree trunks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah! I've always loved seeing the 2x4's nailed between tree trunks!
馃槑 馃憤 Shroomsearcher -- my frownface was not in response to your comment which I understood as you intended. It was in regards to poachers building tree stands. In the same woods several years ago, I ran into -- rather chose -- to walk up to a young man with a bow & arrow hunting deer. He claimed he was target practicing -- with braodheads. After I told him of finding a dead deer on the further edge of the woods, He slunk off that direction.

Mostly, I consider tree stands to be in the same category as trespassing camp sites -- which I find all to frequently. No one ever takes them down. They just abandon them after they grow tired of the adventure of camping.

My philosophy is leave no trace. Or leave it cleaner than how you found it. For many years, I'd dismantle abandoned camp sites. At one drug-dealer campsite, I told the camper that I'd give him two weeks to move his camp or I'd dismantle it. Two weeks later it was gone. As it was the most expensive tent I'd ever come across, I was almost hoping he would leave it and I'd take in down. (er . . .well . . . and maybe keep it). 馃槑

Yesterday in Hocking County
Jack 'Lanterns

Plant Botany Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Bedrock

馃槑馃槑馃槑
Plant Polyporales Botany Mushroom Nature

Great Fall Mushroom times are here. Enjoy the woods! 馃槑

Registered
馃槑 馃憤 Shroomsearcher -- my frownface was not in response to your comment which I understood as you intended. It was in regards to poachers building tree stands. In the same woods several years ago, I ran into -- rather chose -- to walk up to a young man with a bow & arrow hunting deer. He claimed he was target practicing -- with braodheads. After I told him of finding a dead deer on the further edge of the woods, He slunk off that direction.

Mostly, I consider tree stands to be in the same category as trespassing camp sites -- which I find all to frequently. No one ever takes them down. They just abandon them after they grow tired of the adventure of camping.

My philosophy is leave no trace. Or leave it cleaner than how you found it. For many years, I'd dismantle abandoned camp sites. At one drug-dealer campsite, I told the camper that I'd give him two weeks to move his camp or I'd dismantle it. Two weeks later it was gone. As it was the most expensive tent I'd ever come across, I was almost hoping he would leave it and I'd take in down. (er . . .well . . . and maybe keep it). 馃槑

Yesterday in Hocking County
Jack 'Lanterns

View attachment 40777

馃槑馃槑馃槑
View attachment 40778

Great Fall Mushroom times are here. Enjoy the woods! 馃槑
Yeah. My BIL manages a large property in northern Trumbull Co., over 400 acres, much of it wooded. There a large population of a certain religious group that he has nicknames the "Blue Scourge". They are serial trespassers and poachers so, every late Summer he tools around the woods on his ATV to look for tree stands. He doesn't just find nailed up wooden ones, he finds store bought ones as well. These he confiscates. Says he hasn't had to buy a tree stand in years!

Target practicing with broadheads. Wow! I knew a guy who worked in the archery department at the local Gander Mtn. He had the opposite experience. Seems a guy came in that he had waited on, and said he was seeing, and shooting lots of deer, but not killing any! So the guy asked him what kind of broadheads he was using, and they guy showed him a field point! He said it took every ounce of restraint he had to keep from punching him! But he did read him the riot act!

Registered
Mushvroom - Congratulations and also blessings on having your own piece of this earth to now be caretaker of.
Thank you! I'm super pumped to have this land! I've got the DNR wildlife ranger coming out sometime to show me the ropes. City dweller always fascinated with the woods. Now I get to encourage the health of some woods of my own!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While I found thirty or so Hens today I just brought home enough for a dinner or two. The largest were only soccer ball size. The Basket Ball or Beach Ball size are in progress. So the Hens are just beginning!

Leaf Wood Glove Trunk Flower

Maiitake or "Hen of the Woods" on the cutting board, below.

Plant Cuisine Ingredient Natural material Metal

Happy Fall Mushroom Hunting! It's a great time to be in the woods!! 馃槑 馃尀 馃嵎

1 - 20 of 35 Posts