Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Amanita Muscaria or Fly Agaric Mushroom

Where the idea of being "both poisonous and edible" is explored.
The guy seems to know his stuff about them. Apparently, they are also involved in the origin story of the "Berserkers", some Viking types who were surrounded and outnumbered by an enemy and due to be slaughtered the next morning. They cooked up a big pot of amanita muscaria soup, ate it, stripped off all their clothes, grabbed their swords and axes and came out swinging!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found some beauties on my bike ride today. But I'm having trouble identifying them.
Plant Leaf Natural material Terrestrial plant Adaptation

I'm not sure if this is a piece of plastic, or a marker for a pipe or something, but I found three of them while I was on my ride.

Mushroom Natural environment Terrestrial plant Organism Vegetation

I'm hoping these are honeys (white gills) but the sample I took for a spore print didn't give me anything. Too young?

Plant Mushroom Natural environment Organism Natural landscape

Thanks to the prior posts in this thread, I realized what this one was. Not enough to try to eat it though :D

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Central OH--Franklin County
Delights from today's trip into the woods: Maitake or Hen of the Woods, Chicken of the Woods & abortive enteloma or Shrimp of the Woods, as some call them.

😎 😎
Food Ingredient Cuisine Recipe Dish

I returned to the Oak around which I videoed the 10 Maitake in post #15 above 4 days earlier, to find that someone else found that tree too, and harvested all of the Maitake, HA!!

While I had imagined a video redo, there were still plenty of maitake left in the woods. . . and I only needed one for a dinner.

Happy Fall Mushroom Hunting Everyone! 😎 🌞 🍷

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Central OH - Franklin County

Lions mane today and in the same place I've been finding it for 8 years in a row now!!

Below on the cutting board getting sliced for the dehydrator are 2 of the 3 varieties of Lions Mane: Hereciun Erinaceus on the left and Herecium Americanum on the right.

Food Ingredient Mushroom Cuisine Dish

Happy Fall mushroom Hunting! 😎 🌞

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
These Shitake logs that fruited so well (below) in early August -- I decided they rested long enough . . .

Plant Camouflage Leaf Terrestrial plant Wood

I soaked them (below pic) for 24 hours and today smacked the ends with a sledge hammer about 4 times each. In 6-7 days or so, I hope to post a new picture of lots of Shitake mushrooms waiting to pick.

Water Automotive tire Fluid Grass Gas

Hey . . . great Fall Mushroom Hunting Adventures to each of You!! 😎 🌞

·
Registered
1 Posts
Central OH - Franklin County

Yesterday, Saturday, I found these BABIES in the woods.
😎I just finally found a baby in Southern Illinois. Should be great in another week! Seem a little late.

Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Wood Adaptation

Plant Motor vehicle Grass Wood Woody plant

Maitake or "Hen of the Woods" just beginning to grow here in Central OH. The Fall "Good Times" are about to roll.

Happy Times in the Woods to everyone!! 😎

21 - 37 of 37 Posts