Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Hi ButlerMushMan - The Oak logs were inoculated in May 2017, with Shitake mycelium impregnated plugs.
Natural material Finger Font Bedrock Chemical compound

Yes, they were a variety known for their robust temperature range.
Ingredient Wood Animal feed Cuisine Natural material

This next pic below is the first flush the next year in 2018.

Plant Leaf Botany Natural environment Wood

4 years later - this year - they are starting to reach the end but still producing as this pic shows -- from August 2021

Plant Botany Leaf Wood Terrestrial plant

Every 2-3 years a friend will cut down a Live Oak and let it season for 4-6 weeks. I buy the already impregnated dowel pieces, stop by his place and we drill, plug, seal and tag them and divide the logs up 50/50. That works for me as every year I'll have nice Shiitake flushes several times. Right now I have logs from 3-4 different inoculation times under my pines.

Great adventures in the woods to all!! 馃尀 馃槑馃尀

Registered
Central OH - Franklin County

Yesterday, Saturday, I found these BABIES in the woods.
馃槑

Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Wood Adaptation

Plant Motor vehicle Grass Wood Woody plant

Maitake or "Hen of the Woods" just beginning to grow here in Central OH. The Fall "Good Times" are about to roll.

Happy Times in the Woods to everyone!! 馃槑
Is there a way to know when hen of the woods are too old to pick? I just found an older batch growing and the pores are all opened up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Nasan - If it hasn't started to degrade and rot, you can eat it after cooking it. Just because the spores have opened and/or it has begun to sporulate, doesn't mean that it is unedible. It may become tougher at this stage, though.

I save the simple cook for tender young Hens. Fronds from older ones, I might do something like cook them on the grill over charcoal with barbeque sauce.

Happy hunting! 馃槑 馃尀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

Chickens Come Home to Roost, Friday.

Yesterday afternoon I went back to the site of my Lions Mane picking (post #34), to see if the little one I left 3 weeks earlier had grown. NOPE! It had withered and there were no further new ones at this site. So, I had to work for my dinner. Ha!

Scouting along the River, I came across this magnificent beauty.

Plant Wood Branch Natural material Terrestrial plant

The bugs are gone and this Chicken of the Woods was pristine.

I cut enough fronds for a decent dinner. Look how clean these all are!!
Food Ingredient Staple food Baked goods Dish

After cutting them into Chicken Fingers, I mixed Barbeque Sauce & Olive Oil 50/50%, wisked until blended, marinated them for 40 minutes, and cooked them over charcoal. Asparagus, after painting them with Olive Oil, went on the grill too.

Food Tableware Ingredient Wood Recipe

The Olive Oil enabled the Chicken Fingers to get a nice char without getting burned and the Barbeque sauce lent its' delightful flavoring.

Food Tableware Ingredient Staple food Recipe

My wife commented: "These are really good. We could serve these to guests!" . . . I took another sip of wine.

Great weather is with us -- enjoy the woods - if you can get out! 馃槑 馃尀

Registered
Is there a way to know when hen of the woods are too old to pick? I just found an older batch growing and the pores are all opened up.
Nasan - If it hasn't started to degrade and rot, you can eat it after cooking it. Just because the spores have opened and/or it has begun to sporulate, doesn't mean that it is unedible. It may become tougher at this stage, though.

I save the simple cook for tender young Hens. Fronds from older ones, I might do something like cook them on the grill over charcoal with barbeque sauce.

Happy hunting! 馃槑 馃尀
Thank you! Was hoping that was the case. Do you by chance hunt honey mushrooms? I saw them earlier this year but wasn鈥檛 sure what they were and missed out on them. Wondering if they will make another appearance or if they only show up once?

Registered
Honeys will show up again (next) late summer into fall.
Yes, and at least around here, it seems to take quite a bit of moisture to bring them up. A few years ago we had a very wet Summer. It seemed like after a certain precipitation threshold was reached, there were honeys everywhere!

I liked the way you prepared those chickens, and what a great find. You do it something like this guy does it.

Registered

Chickens Come Home to Roost, Friday.

Yesterday afternoon I went back to the site of my Lions Mane picking (post #34), to see if the little one I left 3 weeks earlier had grown. NOPE! It had withered and there were no further new ones at this site. So, I had to work for my dinner. Ha!

Scouting along the River, I came across this magnificent beauty.

View attachment 40969

The bugs are gone and this Chicken of the Woods was pristine.

I cut enough fronds for a decent dinner. Look how clean these all are!!
View attachment 40970

After cutting them into Chicken Fingers, I mixed Barbeque Sauce & Olive Oil 50/50%, wisked until blended, marinated them for 40 minutes, and cooked them over charcoal. Asparagus, after painting them with Olive Oil, went on the grill too.

View attachment 40971

The Olive Oil enabled the Chicken Fingers to get a nice char without getting burned and the Barbeque sauce lent its' delightful flavoring.

View attachment 40972

My wife commented: "These are really good. We could serve these to guests!" . . . I took another sip of wine.

Great weather is with us -- enjoy the woods - if you can get out! 馃槑 馃尀
Yummy and yummy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

Blewit Mushroom flushes in my backyard this week.

Several times 2-6 years ago I'd brought home Blewits from the woods and grew mycelium from the stem base (on delaminated cardboard) and innoculated different flower beds around the house that received large amounts of Fall leaf litter as mulch. I thought this mimicked what i found the mushrooms growing from in the woods.

Botany Organism Twig Adaptation Grass

Well, at first glance they looked like the deer/fawn mushrooms that grow out through the grass, mostly in the front yard, I decided to spend some time to identify these. There was indeed one with a slight lavender hint on the underside of the cap. As Blewits grow the laevender/purple quickly disappears - just another lbm or little brown mushroom after that.

Firstly, (below) they had a loose mycellium ball of wood chips and leaf litter at the stem base. This is how I find them in the woods.

In my backyard, I had for several years, put Cedar wood shavings under the pines and in the flower beds as a natural deterrent to fleas, so our cat can enjoy being outside without catching fleas or wearing a flea poison collar.

It worked for the cat and it worked for the Blewits which had been hanging around (as mycellium, unobserved) since my flowerbed inocculations -- but hadn't shown me any Love yet, 馃挌 Ha! How delightful!!

Plant Mushroom Organism Terrestrial plant Ingredient

The spore print also worked for Blewits: light in color, a whitish dull pink to pinkish beige. The poisonous lookalike, the Cortinarius, has darker, rusty-colored spores.

Tableware Silver Ingredient Rectangle Metal

Hmnnnnn . . . I've got a 6-8 acre spot of mostly pine forest I've wanted to get into for several years. I have been hoping to find Boletes there.

This warmer Aunumn weather might have caused some wild Blewits to be showing their Autumn best - and waiting to be discovered.

Blewits are one of the last Fall Mushrooms.

Still good times to be had out in the woods!! Happy hunting and adventures to all! 馃槑馃尀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Here's a nice Fall pic from 2016 Central OH woods with Blewits that still have the lavender color on the gills.

Polyporales Natural landscape Wood Organism Trunk

These are the stem butts that I brought home to inocculate the flower beds around the house.

Happy hunting everyone!! 馃槑 馃尀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Franklin County

This afternoon. Velvet Foot, Velvet Shank, Flamelina Velutipes, or wild Enoki Mushrooms today on a downed Beech along the Scioto River.

I was in a park and not hunting shrooms - so I left it.

Polyporales Mushroom Natural environment Organism Terrestrial plant

I recall fondly the last time I prepared Velvet Foot -- sautteeing it with Grilled Barramundi. Along with Blewits, this is an edible Fall and late Fall mushroom.

Mushroom Nature Natural environment Wood Natural landscape

Have some great times in the woods! 馃槑 馃尀

41 - 56 of 56 Posts