Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These first Black Morels were from April 5 of last year.
It feels great to look at these again and post them, but it reminds me that I probably have 5 weeks yet!! Waaaa!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hear ya sb I’m ready been thinking about morels for weeks! I found 17 blacks April 1st last year and was hoping for March morels this year for first time ever for me in northern Ohio but with a bunch of snow on the ground it’s gonna push things back a bit. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
561 Posts
May I make a suggestion? It would be nice to see when finds are actually posted to know in what part of the state they were found. Just a general idea like SW OH, southern OH, NW OH would be nice. I start out looking to see finds posted in the southern states just to follow the progressions northward. I'm in NE OH, and we're about the last to get going around here.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent idea shroomsearcher.

1. The morel white babies, above, April 3, were in Hocking County, SE OH.
I knew to pull away the leaves to look for them because the prior year I found that tree with 90+ hollow Morel Stubs where someone found it first and got them all!! I determined to visit that tree a month earlier the next year -- it worked.

2. The nice Black Morels, April 5, were from Franklin County, Central OH. They were from within the city limits of Columbus. The creek bank had a South face with about a 30 degree slope -- therefore presenting a great sun warming orientation for early finds. The ground temp heat sink effect of in-the-city I had attempted to quantify in a prior year (2012) and it seemed to be worth about +2.1 degrees farenheight.

Sooo . . . does that mean Go to the big City microniches to find early Morels? Ha!!

3. Great hunting to all!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts