Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

181 - 200 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
It's kind of weird this year. One of the "signs" I've been told to look for is when the first dandelions go to seed. Well, the dandelions are blooming like crazy and absolutely none have gone to seed yet! I'm done waiting. Getting out there, maybe Friday after the rain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's kind of weird this year. One of the "signs" I've been told to look for is when the first dandelions go to seed. Well, the dandelions are blooming like crazy and absolutely none have gone to seed yet! I'm done waiting. Getting out there, maybe Friday after the rain.
Not sure where you at. but Stark county I was kicking plenty dandy seeds today. Not a majority but they coming along. Now if I could find some mushrooms, maybe tomorrow. Good luck all

·
Registered
124 Posts
I’m hoping that cold weather didn’t do us in. I’m in southwest portage county and before the cold my spots were just getting started. Found maybe a dozen around elms and maybe 20 or so half frees just coming out of the ground but now the ones that were up got a little bit bigger and started to dry. Perhaps this warm rain coming will wake things up. Anyone else around here having similar experiences?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Not sure where you at. but Stark county I was kicking plenty dandy seeds today. Not a majority but they coming along. Now if I could find some mushrooms, maybe tomorrow. Good luck all
I'm in northern Mahoning Co., so you're a little SW of me. I think we catch a little more lake effect than you guys. The other day was a classic lake effect day. It would cloud up, get dark, and maybe spit a few drops of rain but not enough to amount to anything. Then the band would shift and the sun would come out. And in the 50's all day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m hoping that cold weather didn’t do us in. I’m in southwest portage county and before the cold my spots were just getting started. Found maybe a dozen around elms and maybe 20 or so half frees just coming out of the ground but now the ones that were up got a little bit bigger and started to dry. Perhaps this warm rain coming will wake things up. Anyone else around here having similar experiences?
We might be neibors(sw portage county also)!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have found grey's in southern Ohio before in may
I checked my spot I had left 5 greys before the snow. They made it, only grown and inch or so. But they went from 5 to 20 at least. Some had just poked through, others were already bigger than the 1st 5. It's bone dry so I watered the old ones and a few new, just to see what it did if anything on Mon. Big rain coming though. Also several new ones popping in another location I have already gotten about 50 from. Soil temp was back down to 48, it was at 61 before the snow.

·
Registered
144 Posts
NC Ohio. Been decent hunting last few times out but dry. Much needed rain coming. Hopefully anyways. I’ll be out tomorrow stomping ground trying for few more. Next 10-14 days after this rain shrooms are gonna be on fire! 457 total so far been a weird season with the dry conditions but here’s to a good finish!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I checked my spot I had left 5 greys before the snow. They made it, only grown and inch or so. But they went from 5 to 20 at least. Some had just poked through, others were already bigger than the 1st 5. It's bone dry so I watered the old ones and a few new, just to see what it did if anything on Mon. Big rain coming though. Also several new ones popping in another location I have already gotten about 50 from. Soil temp was back down to 48, it was at 61 before the snow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have never posted on this site before but I have been having good luck here in north east Ohio over the past 2 weeks. I have 182 picked so far. All around railroad tracks and dead elms.
How did you get permission from the rail road, do you work for them? Since 911 they don't give permission.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Jeremyelias71: Forgive me for speaking out-of-turn . . .

. . . either a "frame of reference issue" or maybe just a few "Hobo genes" in the background!!

View attachment 38575

Happy Hunting!
First thing cool picture...2nd thing two of the most handsome hobos I’ve ever seen. 3rd thing is that a saw I see in hand if so what size morels are you finding??? I think we both know were the B&O railroad runs I may need to do a better job on my end... good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, I didn't mean to generate a lot of buzz with my post. I guess I want to say that I have done a ton of reading and studying this year in prep but I haven't had any luck (yet) around Apple trees or Tulip trees this year. Its been low lands that hold moisture. Along the side of roads, ditches, and yes, railroad tracks. Around elm trees that are more dead and fallen over than the "bark barely falling off" mantra that I have seen in videos. I have enjoyed reading your posts and especially seeing the pictures. For me it has been a war of attrition. Hours and hours of searching and slowly scanning. Plus luck. Thanks to everyone on this forum.

181 - 200 of 244 Posts