Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

201 - 220 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Another way to hunt "railroad tracks" is to have a look at the ones that have been converted to bike trails. I was warned off this on another thread quite a while ago, because it was reported that the railroads used to pour tons of herbicides on their rights of way. I thought about it and replied that these lines had been abandoned for decades with no train traffic on them. Also, considering how much precipitation has fallen and trickled down through the soil in all those years, I felt comfortable giving them a shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I didnt want to make a criminal of myself posting on this forum. I was just hoping to help the next hunter that might be getting a little bit frustrated maybe find something. I have used this forum throughout the years to know when and (relatively) where to find a morel or two. So I will leave the posts to the pros. Best of luck guys! I hope to see you out there.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
First thing cool picture...2nd thing two of the most handsome hobos I’ve ever seen. 3rd thing is that a saw I see in hand if so what size morels are you finding??? I think we both know were the B&O railroad runs I may need to do a better job on my end... good luck
Redfred -- I bought a dozen cans of baked beans an put them into my backpack and am heading for the B & O Rail Road tracks morn'n, tomorrow so can come visite ya'. I'll pick Morels 'long the way' if the train's slow enough. Have the table set and the frying pan ready.

You don't really need to know about why -- a hand saw -- while hunting Morels, do you?

Redfred -- you're too observant for your own good!! Ha!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Well, I didnt want to make a criminal of myself posting on this forum. I was just hoping to help the next hunter that might be getting a little bit frustrated maybe find something. I have used this forum throughout the years to know when and (relatively) where to find a morel or two. So I will leave the posts to the pros. Best of luck guys! I hope to see you out there.
Jeremyelias71 -- All is (intended to be) in humor and you are appreciated here & your posts are appreciated..
Happy hunting

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 · (Edited)
Redfred -- Oh, What the heck! If I don't tell 'ya what the saw's for, I know you'll lose sleep over it. So, here's the story. (I don't want ya callin me at 4 in the morning because you can't sleep!)

It was/is a nice pruning saw and someone left it in the woods (on the King's property) that the RR runs through. It was likely left by someone sneaking into the King's property to set up a deer stand. . . . best I could surmise. Although, kids use the King's property too . . . building dirt bike jumps, tree houses, etc. episodically, over the years. [king's property = any large, institutionally owned woods or orphaned, anonymous investor-syndicate owned woods waiting the housing development builders saw].

Happy Hunting, everyone!

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's just about putting in the work to get permission, there's know need to trespass. We own land that butts up to a RR, and we own the spur they sold off yrs ago. My mother is 70 and still loves to hunt never fails every poachers trespass and steal her shrooms on her land that is posted every where. She spends the next month picking up all the trash they left behind. I spend days driving around talking to land owners to get permission, it takes a lot of time. Some people are not nice about it, but most are kind, even if it is a no. I don't have much free time with my job but it's worth it to know I did it right, and my mom still has a chance to find some.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Franklin County - Central OH

Great sized prime morels today.

These are large enough that I'm going to stuff them and bake them.

These little, mostly "Tulip Morels" (all except for 2 or so) below, I'm going to make into a Morel Sauce for topping something I will cook over charcoal on the grill.

And these -- unfortunately I was too late to this woods and they at least shed their spores for future years. Even as they looked "perfect" form-wise, when you touched them they were soft and had started to putrify. They were injured by past cold, I believe. Sometimes when they look like this I find that they have "dried on the stem". Not so here; they had started to rot, even though they looked good at first sight..

Happy hunting!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all!
Took my twin 5 year olds out since I couldn't find any and within 5 minutes had a nice first little bunch!!!
First morels I've ever found...
Kids actually pointed them out to me🤔( I'm perfectly ok with that!)they were so excited.
What type are these?( NE ohio in a few dead cherry trees on a south facing slope- thanks to a lot of info from all of you guys!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
sb, what are you going to stuff them with? I was thinking of stuffing a few of mine. I don't keep many I give most of them to the land owners who let me hunt game on there land. I love ramps and would like to do something with them together.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
sb, what are you going to stuff them with? I was thinking of stuffing a few of mine. I don't keep many I give most of them to the land owners who let me hunt game on there land. I love ramps and would like to do something with them together.
River Birch Run - I've baked Stuffed- Morels 4 different ways so far.

This below, ready for the oven, is Morels Stuffed with Walnuts. Well actually, Walnuts, green onions/chives, bacon, bread crumbs and cream and then drizzled with heavy cream on top too, before baking. I just added the extra stuffing into the baking dish and it was a further delightful side to the dinner.

This pic below is from a potluck where I baked stuffed-Morels 3 different ways.

Some were stuffed with cream cheese, blue cheese, chives, bread crumbs, cream
Some were stuffed with the walnut, bacon as above expressed
Some were stuffed with minced dried Apricots, minced garlic, minced red onion

I've also done Crab-Stuffed Morels, baked. Here I used Morels cut in half lengthwise and so, it was like a more traditional stuffed mushroom cap - open with the stuffing on top.

All good and still, the Walnut bacon is probably my favorite.

Happy Hunting, everyone!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 · (Edited)
Hunt4shrooms - As I currently have both, I just took this pic of Yellows and Tulips together on the cutting board.

Besides the potential maximum size difference, there are more of the poc shapes (ascus) on the yellows, even when small, compared to the more simple tulip, as you can see below.

Happy Hunting!

201 - 220 of 244 Posts