Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
These are just common-name conventions. Some people say what starts as a grey becomes a tan with medium size and then becomes what is called a yellow when large, at the end of optimal growth. Scientific naming has also changed with greater gene analysis.in recent years. I chose not to try to keep up with that.

The Tulip Morel though, are genetic different from the grey, tan, yellow Morels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, different flavors between them?
Are certain ones earlier in the spring then a different type may pop up later( example=1st tulip, 2nd grey...)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Usually grays/yellows come up first as a gray color and tulips come up somewhere in the middle towards the beginning of the end of the season lol. However, the first morels of the entire season to come up are normally black morels followed by half free morels which some don’t consider to be a true morel but to me taste equally as good when you eat just the caps. So. In order and then overlapping it would be black, half free, gray/yellow, and tulip last.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just took the fam out for a foray and found mostly half frees and a few tulips. Tulips seamed fairly fresh. Most of the half frees we’re pretty dry so we didn’t bring many home. Southwest portage county.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
I used to put them on a screen and place them in the dry airflow from the dehumidifier, in the basement. This would dehydrate them overnight. Ha!
(Then someone I knew moved to FL and gave me an unused Excalibur dehydrator for free)
My mushroom hunting neighbor has a dehydrator but prefers to dry mushrooms out in the sun on a screen.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
First thing cool picture...2nd thing two of the most handsome hobos I’ve ever seen. 3rd thing is that a saw I see in hand if so what size morels are you finding??? I think we both know were the B&O railroad runs I may need to do a better job on my end... good luck
redfred:

In light of your demonstration above of discriminating taste and as you also know "where the B&O railroad runs, I've decided, in my great magnanimity, to give you directions to my new found "Morel Honey Hole" along the B & O railroad tracks.

Please enjoy.

To everyone - happy hunting.

·
Registered
317 Posts
redfred:

In light of your demonstration above of discriminating taste and as you also know "where the B&O railroad runs, I've decided, in my great magnanimity, to give you directions to my new found "Morel Honey Hole" along the B & O railroad tracks.

Please enjoy.

View attachment 38838

To everyone - happy hunting.
Thank you so much for your generosity and if it weren’t enough that you pointed me in the right direction with the morels the finger point removed all doubts ( I think that’s an index finger) as to what side of the tracks I should be on. This photo brings back memories of placing a penny on the track and waiting for the train to go by. I’m sure this was not your intention and I think that you are just working on a new morel recipe. Perhaps morel scaloppine, mashed morels, flat iron morels I’m not sure but I can’t wait to see. If I’m wrong please remove all morels (first) and any persons (second) I think I heard a whistle blowing.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Redfred - Thanks for the humor! You're the best.

On a more serious note [I'm not serious here] I was thinking about crisp Morel chips and that after the train flattened them I'd dry them, salt them and yum!

[I am serious here] Trader Joe's recently came out with dried brown mushroom crisps. I would have liked them with more crispness & more salt. They had a slightly "puffed" quailty which was a textural turn-off to me.

Uh-Oh! I'm now out of Morels. I had family over last night and did appetizers - stuffed Morels 2 different ways and then charcoaled salmon with a (french recipe) Morel sauce.

The French recipe is now my favorite, having tried it 6 different times. It takes almost an hour because it has 3 different periods of 15 minute cook -- but it is worth it!!! There was just enough left to top onto Morel scrambled eggs this morning.

Happy Hunting to all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Found plenty of big yellows mostly around Sycamores on both east and west facing slopes and down in the valley floors near ponds. Many were dry at the tops and crumbling. My 7 year old is getting good at spotting them but cares more about getting to the top of the hill. Not a huge year but enjoying every one. Fried them with steaks, made a pizza last night and going to make crab and cream cheese stuffed tomorrow, your pictures are killing me, they look delicious!

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 · (Edited)
Morel & Wild Mushroom Mahjong

Mahjong is now an everywhere-available computer & smartphone application.

There is a software version that allows you to replace the traditional oriental tiles with photos of your choosing. I collected my best Wild Mushroom & Morel photos from over 15 years and created this enjoyable version where you match the wild mushroom picture instead of the traditional tiles.

It gives me pleasure to go Mushroom Hunting in the middle of winter, sitting in my office, at home, ha!

I'm starting to collect additional pics and may try to create -- perhaps -- a Morels-Only Mahjong version. I believe that would be even more difficult because there would not be as great a visual difference among the pics.

If I recall correctly it takes 35 different pics to create a basic set. Each pic appears 4 times. So, above you can see that the beautiful Red Reishi and Lions Mane show 4 times on opening. That's rare and most have to be successively uncovered by removing matched pairs from on top first.
With this layout version shown, I have about a 400 game record record of only getting them all matched & removed about 10% of the time!! Ha!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Morel & Wild Mushroom Mahjong

View attachment 39064

Mahjong is now an everywhere-available computer & smartphone application.

There is a software version that allows you to replace the traditional oriental tiles with photos of your choosing. I collected my best Wild Mushroom & Morel photos from over 15 years and created this enjoyable version where you match the wild mushroom picture instead of the traditional tiles.

It gives me pleasure to go Mushroom Hunting in the middle of winter, sitting in my office, at home, ha!

I'm starting to collect additional pics and may try to create -- perhaps -- a Morels-Only Mahjong version. I believe that would be even more difficult because there would not be as great a visual difference among the pics.

If I recall correctly it takes 35 different pics to create a basic set. Each pic appears 4 times. So, above you can see that the beautiful Red Reishi and Lions Mane show 4 times on opening. That's rare and most have to be successively uncovered by removing matched pairs from on top first.
With this layout version shown, I have about a 400 game record record of only getting them all matched & removed about 10% of the time!! Ha!
my girl loves Mahjong and some of them are real tough. All morels that would be in that category.. I may need to look into this thanks...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Redfred -- Oh, What the heck! If I don't tell 'ya what the saw's for, I know you'll lose sleep over it. So, here's the story. (I don't want ya callin me at 4 in the morning because you can't sleep!)

It was/is a nice pruning saw and someone left it in the woods (on the King's property) that the RR runs through. It was likely left by someone sneaking into the King's property to set up a deer stand. . . . best I could surmise. Although, kids use the King's property too . . . building dirt bike jumps, tree houses, etc. episodically, over the years. [king's property = any large, institutionally owned woods or orphaned, anonymous investor-syndicate owned woods waiting the housing development builders saw].

Happy Hunting, everyone!
SB, here I thought you were using that saw to cut or damage special trees for next years bounty! I've done that to a select few apple trees and it works.

221 - 240 of 244 Posts