Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
261 - 273 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Got out today and It did not start well. This was at my fish & game club just over the PA. line in Lawrence Co. PA. same latitude as mid-Mahoning Co. Found one stump at my first target apple tree. It was leaning at a 45* angle with half the root ball out of the ground. Tree in distress? I expected to clean up! Went to the next apple tree and found one, then beat my way back in behind it to look for another apple tree that I found a bunch around last year. I couldn't find the doggone tree!

On the walk in I had noticed that they had cut some new trails into the woods off the main 2 track through there. I remembered reading in Kuo's book that if morel mycelium is present in the soil, the soil being disturbed can bring on a flush. So, I decided to check them out, and it paid off. About a pound and a half of nice yellows. I also found some crispy critters and soggy bottoms, but I found some.

Supposed to have more rain Sunday and Monday, so I'm headed back there next week and I'm going to walk that whole area, and check every new trail they've cut through there. I went on high ground. With the cold nights we've been having, I wanted to stay out of the bottoms, the cold sinks. I'll post pics as soon as I remember how to download them into the computer. It just feel great to get off the snide.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yeah, it's been kind of a weird mixed bag this year everywhere on this forum that I look. Things don't seem to be running in their normal sequence. The local weather guessers missed it again. Never saw a drop of rain today. They seem to like to "over predict" rain and snow. After I heard their forecast I checked with Weather Underground. They predicted a very small chance of rain and almost no accumulation.

Nevertheless, I cut grass yet again today, I'm already growing tired of it, in order to free myself up for morel hunting the next few days. We're getting very close to the end, and if you want to have a chance to find them, you have to get out there!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Well, I hunted Monday and today, and hiked my legs off. I'm paying for it now. Just waiting for the Aleve to kick in. I found zilch! It's over here, so on to the next on the menu.

261 - 273 of 273 Posts