Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like ground temperatures in Ohio hit in the high 40s yesterday. Haven’t had rain in a long time though prior to last night. Anyone think maybe after last night’s rainfall we might see a morel pop up?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I start to find blacks when ground temp hits 46 degrees for five days at 4” soil depth. That’s when I start looking and hasn’t failed me yet. Greys will pop in low 50s range and yellows until it reaches 60 degrees after that the ones up will burn up and no more fruiting occurs. The lack of precipitation does concern me this year. We are three inches behind compared to a year ago today in area I hunt and the rain they were calling for yesterday pretty much missed us.

·
Registered
658 Posts
We got about a 10 minute rain yesterday PM. Barely enough to settle the dust. Up here in NE OH, we still have time. I've found them as late as May 23. Never earlier than late April. Soil temps won't stay warm up here. Going down into the 20's tonight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anyone get into looking for Enoki?
Nope, I have taken Oysters while scouting out morel area's, and lion's main.

Such a nice week out gets you all juiced up, looks like more crummy weather coming next week. At least will get rain to keep things moist. The wind really dried things up quick here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like ground temperatures in Ohio hit in the high 40s yesterday. Haven’t had rain in a long time though prior to last night. Anyone think maybe after last night’s rainfall we might see a morel pop up?
I’m going to search a few spots in south central Ohio on monday I will be about two weeks earlier than I have found them

·
Registered
330 Posts
We all are looking for the holy grail of morels; and all we need to know is in these past threads and our own experience, by the way all my last posts are from the beach drunk so be kind

·
Registered
658 Posts
Last night and tonight still going down to the mid 20's, so that's keeping the ground cold. Be a while before I look for them up here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found some last year in the last weekend in March in Southern Ohio. It had been warm that week, and I think we had lots of rain. I’m looking around this weekend!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Took a soil temp reading today at 2 PM in a spot in my back yard that gets all day sun. Temp toggled back and forth between 46 and 47 degrees. We still have a way to go up here in NE OH.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So what type of habitat do you guys find blacks in. I have yet to find one. I pushed hard last yr when they popped and never found a single one. Clearly i'm looking in the wrong area's, cause I killed the grays and yellows. I'm in North Central OH.
What type terrain are you hunting? Im mostly in deep ravine type areas, old age timber, good amount of tulip trees, but other hardwoods mixed in as well, hillsides of almost pure tulips trees don't produce well for me, for whatever reason. Hunt the cool side of the hills, look up high, they'll come up there first and produce lower as the season progresses and temps are right lower down the slope. I have hillsides that I've been picking for 15 years, some years better than others depending on the weather, but they are there every year...it's been my experience that if you can locate a good patch of blacks you'll find other varieties there as well, blacks are very picky, if they'll grow there, so will others.
My days of aimlessly walking around are over, I know where they prefer to grow in my area, so I look to my topo, pick specific hillsides and walk, not hunt, straight to them, if nothing is there I move on to the next one. Half or more of the battle is eliminating most of the woods. Most of my spots are not close to roads, some are 3 miles from where I park and or rough hikes to get to them.... Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's flat land here, only revines here are on the river. It's all patch woods the biggest I have is about 30 acres. Most tulip poplars I have is a group of 4 in one woods, didn't find any kept checking it last yr. I do have a few woods with hickery goves. Most of my woods are oak and and maple. I've found a few new places to look this yr for blacks hope I get lucky. I know if I can just find one spot I will find more. Just have to figure out what they like here. Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got an update that ground temps have been above 53 degrees the prior 5 days. Group thoughts on how quick morels start popping here in SW Ohio? Best of luck this season to all.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My buddy communicates with some ramp groups on Facebook. Many of them practice the same thing you do River, they only take the tops. Once you dig the bulbs out of the ground, that spot is done! And it takes a long time to grow ramps. I have a spot that has more ramps than you can shake a stick at! I swear I could haul out a wheelbarrow full every day for a month and not put a dent in it1

Then I think honestly and have to admit that it would be a dent, but a small one. Bigger problem is it's in a county metropark where "gathering" is forbidden. So I have to be a little "stealthy" with my ramp endeavors. And also with my chicken, chanterelle, oyster and hen endeavors!

·
Registered
37 Posts
LOL I didn't even know what they were eatable till last yr. Tried them and really liked them. I hunt all private land and have a woods that 3/4 of the floor is covered. I live on a river and there are a few small patches that takes me 10 min to run down too for fresh samples for dinner. Had chanterelle's for the 1st time too last yr and loved them. I have a woods that they pop as far as the eye can see. I found them past prime but got enough good ones to sample. By far my favorite shroom.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My buddy took me turkey hunting at his friend's farm where I first thought I found ramps! I did not. They were some sort of wild onion I guess! Onion is what they tasted like. Then I learned what ramps really were and went on the hunt for them. I've found spots in that park where they grow until they are out of sight! Found them at the other end of the road miles away! And I've continued to find them in all parts of the park. Just found another big patch last year! But a park road goes right by it and I can't pick there!

Instead of outlawing gathering, I think the metroparks should offer classes on it! I'd volunteer to be an instructor!

21 - 40 of 140 Posts