Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was hoping to get lucky finding some early season blacks in the city (Columbus) but no such luck. I did however stumble upon a patch of some ramps—an excellent consolation prize!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gonna give Scioto Co a look Monday, found my first taste on 4-7 last season and feel like it's been a warmer March this year than last, most of those (blacks) I found that early last year were mature. I'll pluck the eating size ones and cover the smallies for next trip. As warm as next week is supposed to get I don't think these next few nights will be much of a setback. I'm thinking my south central areas will be worth hiking in to by the end of next week, should for sure be on after that, just keeping my fingers crossed we do not get a two week long cold snap mid April, as we did last year... Good luck to all

·
Registered
7 Posts
I checked this past weekend in some of my spots. No luck, but it’s been dry. Trying again this weekend but I not optimistic.

·
Registered
658 Posts
2 days in a row I woke up to snow cover and temps in the low 20's! The only positives to report are the Forsythia starting to bloom, and the snow put at least a little moisture in the soil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I check three woods yesterday other than were the swamps are it's bone dry. Did see a couple of may apples just starting to poke out of the ground. Only fungi I have seen at all were a couple of cups here and there. The river bottom did have much more green this week than last.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Picked 6 today enough for a sandwich haha and left some others to grow and if we get rain spots gonna explode I believe. Ground temp was 49-50 in the couple spots I checked. Good news the morels are starting here in far north central Ohio. Bad news it’s drier than a popcorn fart in the woods and the ones I picked to were already drying out due to lack of ground moisture. We’re 5” behind last year and 3” behind two years ago in precipitation in the area I’m hunting. I’m gonna give it til Wednesday Thursday and look again and hopefully we get the rain there calling for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Picked 6 today enough for a sandwich haha and left some others to grow and if we get rain spots gonna explode I believe. Ground temp was 49-50 in the couple spots I checked. Good news the morels are starting here in far north central Ohio. Bad news it’s drier than a popcorn fart in the woods and the ones I picked to were already drying out due to lack of ground moisture. We’re 5” behind last year and 3” behind two years ago in precipitation in the area I’m hunting. I’m gonna give it til Wednesday Thursday and look again and hopefully we get the rain there calling for. View attachment 37302 View attachment 37303 View attachment 37304

·
Registered
4 Posts
My sister called and said her son found almost 200 grays and whites in a river bottom yesterday (4/9/21). They always seem to come there first. Ross county

41 - 60 of 140 Posts