Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

161 - 180 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
With the recent snow and rain and warm temperatures next week is there a possibility we get a second wave of morels? I know it’s a little late in the season now for southern Ohio. With the lack of moisture my spots of been pretty sparse.
I was thinking the same thing. Our greys had just popped last week and didn't grow, too dry. I hope they will pop again this weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in north central oh and I'm a newbie this is my 2nd year looking. So I creep on here everyday and read all of y'alls posts trying get some tips lol. Last year I started late but ended up finding some by accident. Was leaving wooded area I was In and decided I wasnt going home empty handed so pulled to side of rd to take me home some random tulips growing there and found 5 morels growing right beside them! So any tips you have for a new girl... I'll take them !

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome to the site @Jetski ! That was a welcome suprise you had there last year! Glad you been following along so far. I'd just say keep doin what your doin and don't get discouraged. There's a positive in all trips out in nature. Check here often, read prior year's posts, learn🎓 producing trees🌳 in your locality, & 🍄hunt often. You'll be sure to stumble onto more. Happy Hunting, 🛫🎿!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Jetski, my 2nd year was when I found my first morels. I hunted my brains out my first year and found nothing. Self doubt began to creep in and I wondered if I was "looking" at them but not "seeing" them. Obviously you are. Remember that spot where you found them last year, and check it again several times. My second year I found a recently dead elm with the bark just beginning to slip. Seemed like an ideal candidate for a morel spot but there was nothing growing near it that day. 2nd time out, nothing. 3rd time, the ground around the tree was carpeted with LBM's. 4th time out, I wasn't going to look, but the tree seemed too good, and it's only a 10 minute walk there and back if I didn't find anything.

4th time was the charm! I found my first morels, about 18 of them. That tree only produced 2 more times for me, but since then I've developed other spots that I know produce. I have it kind of easy because I'm retired, and can take all day to hunt, except for the time I have to rest my aching knees! So, I pack a lunch, and devote most hunting days to checking a few of my known spots, and then wandering into some new areas to check them out. I've found morels in places that I never expected to.

In addition to elm, I've found them growing near black cherry, sycamore, eastern cottonwood, and apple trees. I've also found them growing in a grass field nowhere near a tree! I've found them growing right alongside dirt 2 tracks cutting through the woods. Let's face it. Despite what we think we "know" about them, they can grow wherever they want to!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm in north central oh and I'm a newbie this is my 2nd year looking. So I creep on here everyday and read all of y'alls posts trying get some tips lol. Last year I started late but ended up finding some by accident. Was leaving wooded area I was In and decided I wasnt going home empty handed so pulled to side of rd to take me home some random tulips growing there and found 5 morels growing right beside them! So any tips you have for a new girl... I'll take them !
What county? I'm in crawford.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Checked a couple other spots today in Trumbull county and just a couple really small yellows. Probably a week or two to go.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thunter - "I love it! . . . no words necessary!

Nice mess of (Mostly) Blacks. Just one grey?

This implies, to me, the rest is yet to come!!!
Don't normally find yellows up here, some years the half frees and tulips are thick, but we'll need a stretch of warms days and nights to make it happen... Maybe towards end of week I'll check back to that spot

161 - 180 of 273 Posts