Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Summer Mushroom Hunting Everyone.
My first summer outing will be to hunt Red Reishi in SE Ohio.

June is usually best for me for Red Reishi because there aren't as many bugs on them as later.

June 2020 pic from last year below.

(The bottom reishi showing white is showing the underside)

Happy mushroom hunting.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wow! That's getting it done! Question, what types of trees do you find them on? I've only found reishi once, and it was on stump so rotten that the specie was unrecognizable.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow! That's getting it done! Question, what types of trees do you find them on? I've only found reishi once, and it was on stump so rotten that the specie was unrecognizable.
Excellent question shroomsearcher.

I find them on old Hemlock and dead Hemlock in Ohio. Sometimes the dead Hemlock are fallen down. Sometimes the Hemlock are now stumps and the rest of the tree has toppled over.

The way this plays out optimally is that I cruise steep gorges in SE OH that typically have Hemlock lining the gorges on the rim and in the bottom of the gorges.

As often as not, a now dead Hemlock on the rim of a gorge will have the upper stalk of the tree topple into the gorge and the base-some 4-10 ft of the tree-will still be upright on the gorge rim/edge above.

These are the optimal environments in my experience for rich Red Reishi finds. Sometimes Red Reishi will be sprouting on the now horizontal tree stalks that have fallen into the gorges, as below.

SE OH 2017, Red Reishi.

Sometimes they will be growing out of the base of the now demised hemlock base still standing on the gorge edge or rim above.

This is exemplified in my last year June foray for Red Reishi. I had planned on visiting 3 prime Red Reishi gorges where I had found them in the past.

As it turned out--the season turned out to be so abundant, that I filled my needs in just the 1st of the 3 spots I had on my list to visit. Filling my needs meant that I harvested enough for two years worth of making Reishi Mushroom extract.

What experience showed me is that, generally, Red Reishi will have a good year in 1 of 3 years. So, to keep from running out of dried Red Reishi, from which I can make medicinal extract, I want to keep at least 1 year ahead, in terms of quantity.

Pic below from June 2018
View attachment 39964

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Summer Mushroom Hunting -- Rainfall Map tool works well to show local variations in rainfall.

We all know summer mushrooms are often dependent on rainfall. If you, like me, have wished for a good way to access local variations in rainfall, then this website link is worth exploring.

I tried it last year and was able to pinpoint significant variations in rainfall - often 2-3 inch variations within just a few miles. It has a selection of underlying maps to choose from.

Last year, it made a difference in determining which woods to go to for Chanterelles - kept me from wasting my time

Here's an example below: Central OH map from our rainfall yesterday and you can see a 2.25 inch rain difference over just 6-7 miles. The center of a heavy rain cell showed 3" while everything more than 3-4 miles away just got .5" of rain.

Come next month-July-when the Chants start, this can be important information, especially if you have numerous choices of where to go hunting. Have fun with it.

Happy hunting everyone.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wednesday, when we were NOT getting the rain that was forecast, I headed out to a local prepared food carry out because it was meat loaf day! I love meat loaf, and also au gratin potatoes and Italian greens and beans are available that day. Leaving my house, the roads were almost dry. By the time I got to the shop, which is no more than 4 miles South of me, the roads were wet! And, there was a slight sprinkle falling.

Don't know why, but the southern part of the country seems to pull rain!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Summer Mushroom Hunting -- Rainfall Map tool works well to show local variations in rainfall.

We all know summer mushrooms are often dependent on rainfall. If you, like me, have wished for a good way to access local variations in rainfall, then this website link is worth exploring.

I tried it last year and was able to pinpoint significant variations in rainfall - often 2-3 inch variations within just a few miles. It has a selection of underlying maps to choose from.

Last year, it made a difference in determining which woods to go to for Chanterelles - kept me from wasting my time

Here's an example below: Central OH map from our rainfall yesterday and you can see a 2.25 inch rain difference over just 6-7 miles. The center of a heavy rain cell showed 3" while everything more than 3-4 miles away just got .5" of rain.

Come next month-July-when the Chants start, this can be important information, especially if you have numerous choices of where to go hunting. Have fun with it.

Happy hunting everyone.

View attachment 39967
Love that web link SB thanks for the information

·
Registered
893 Posts
I clicked on it, and couldn't figure out how to use it. Put my cursor on everything that looked like it should do what I want, and nothing. Maybe I need to come straight at it rather than through the link.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi shroomsearcher -

From this web link (perhaps, copy this link and paste into a new browser tab)
www.iweathernet.com/total-rainfall-map-24-hours-to-72-hours

For me, what comes up is a U.S. map that I can either choose the NE US menu selection for a drill down map or I can place my cursor on the map and use the + choice at the bottom right of the browser page to drill down to my area of interest, map wise.

The next choices would be 1. the time frame and # 2 the underlying map type. A 3rd choice might be the degree of opacity of the map cumulative rainfall accumulation colors. Hi opacity obliterates the underlying map details but can be temporarily beneficial to zero in on smaller high rainfall cells of local and beneficial interest.

Hope this helps. Also, for me, all of this is done on a pc with a big monitor that shows up everything in a large image. Are you using smartphone or a pc?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm on a desktop PC, and I kind of figured it out later yesterday night. Due to lack of time, I didn't have the chance to experiment with it much. Like, how far can I drill down into the image? BTW, I love learning new lingo like "drill down" instead of "zoom in".

Here's something I will check. Played golf today at a course in the south county. After the round and our meal on the covered patio, a fairly robust rain squall moved through. No lightning, but quite a bit of wind and rain. I live about 10 miles north of the place, and it didn't take too far on the northbound highway to find completely dry pavement. When I got home, we had received zero precip.

The reason I am interested in drilling down, is that in my cursory review of the map, it seemed to indicate about 1.25" of precip in my local area, and I know for a fact that that is nonsense! We are way short of that where I live, but how about not that far from me. Like some of the places where I like to hunt shrooms!

If it doesn't rain at home, I can water my garden. I can't water the chanterelle wood! l

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well said shroomsearcher.

I'll water my shiitake logs . . . for sure. But I track Mother Nature (rainfall) to know where to spend my time in the woods.

We've been getting such recurrent rains in OH that I'm now thinking that perhaps the Chanterelles will start early -- yet to be proved. Today I told my mushroom hunting neighbor that I'd go out early with him, to check this out.

Mean time--I'm going down to SE OH -- probably Hocking County to hunt for Red Reishi within the week. Will post after.

Joyful mushroom hunting to all.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shroomsearcher -- on the cumulative Rainfall accuracy, I understand that it is computed mathematically from dopplar radar data to arrive at the cumulative rainfall maps.

The most recent one for me was confirmed as a 2 by 5 mile area got the highest cumulative rainfall. I lived in that area and perceived it to be accurate. While this is subjective, I think I'll place a rainfall guage in the back yard and try to correlate more objectively.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Chanterelle Itch - Central OH
This morning I went out to my most favorable Chanterelle woods. I found superb soil moisture but not even a pencil stub of a Chanterelle.

I went home and looked up my first registration of Chanterelle finds from prior years dated pics for Central OH. The average date of first find for 6 years was July 9.

Hmmnnn . . . I'm ready now! My earliest Chanterelle first find was June 29 for Central OH.

I did find frequent white Jelly Mushrooom and some early honeys. Right now my yard around the house seems more prolific than that still slumbering woods . . .
Happy Woods Time, everyone!

·
Registered
125 Posts
This morning I'm noticing the orange ditch lily's are doing their thing. By my approximations chanterelles will be kicking within a few weeks. Usually I wait for the large clusters of jack o lanterns to start popping before I even consider looking.

Soon...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Red Reishi - Hocking County, OH
I made my first trip to the woods for Red Reishi yesterday. I wasn't disappointed, bringing home just one--this beauty below.

The highest quality is in finding them before the bugs do as the underside image below shows.

I left many as I have two bags of sliced, dried from last year to use in my medicinal Reishi Extract. The two I left, below bottom/top pic, are perfect, but small so I left them to grow. Maybe I'll get back in a few weeks.

I've shared that Hemlock lined steep gorges are the prime environment. Here below is a pic looking down such a steep gorge from the headwall. You can see the littered stalks of dead, broken hemlocks that have fallen into the gorge--prime for growing Reishi.

(There's a small Red Reishi on the lower right Hemlock below)

Now, turning around looking up at the cliff headwall, you can see several plate-sized Reishi hanging on the hemlock on the very edge of the cliff.

I didn't even think about trying to get these as there was a 45 degree 20 ft slope to the cliff edge . . . well . . . and then the 45 feet to the bottom!!

Happy Summer Mushroom Hunting!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Red Reishi - Hocking County, OH
I made my first trip to the woods for Red Reishi yesterday. I wasn't disappointed, bringing home just one--this beauty below.
View attachment 39990

The highest quality is in finding them before the bugs do as the underside image below shows.

View attachment 39992

I left many as I have two bags of sliced, dried from last year to use in my medicinal Reishi Extract. The two I left, below bottom/top pic, are perfect, but small so I left them to grow. Maybe I'll get back in a few weeks.

View attachment 39993

I've shared that Hemlock lined steep gorges are the prime environment. Here below is a pic looking down such a steep gorge from the headwall. You can see the littered stalks of dead, broken hemlocks that have fallen into the gorge--prime for growing Reishi.

(There's a small Red Reishi on the lower right Hemlock below)
View attachment 39994

Now, turning around looking up at the cliff headwall, you can see several plate-sized Reishi hanging on the hemlock on the very edge of the cliff.

View attachment 39996

I didn't even think about trying to get these as there was a 45 degree 20 ft slope to the cliff edge . . . well . . . and then the 45 feet to the bottom!!

Happy Summer Mushroom Hunting!
Great pics and information on this mushroom it’s still on my bucket list of shrooms there is only a handful of places to hunt them here in Indiana but I’ll keep trying

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was thinking about hitting the woods this upcoming Monday. If the rain continues we might have some early chants up by then. My spring season was ok. About 60% of last years spring harvest. I'm hoping the chants come up in force this year, last year was kind of a bust for me as far as chants go. Good luck all, I can't wait to see some pictures swarmed with golden orange!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts