Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Franklin County Chanterelles - Central OH

Chants from my favorite woods from the 3rd. Just a dozen or so like these below.

The woods was hosting lots of spots where the Chanterelles are just beginning to emerge as below.

So . . . in one week and especially after one more rain. Chanterelle Heaven opens its' gates!

Safe & Happy Hunting to everyone!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Central OH - Franklin County

Bag of Chanterellees from this morning.

Tonight, for the 8th year in a row, I'm going to make Chanterelle, Yellow Wax Bean & Corn Chowder.

'll post a pic. This is one of my favorite Chanterelle recipes. The wax beans are from the garden and also the herbs.

Enjoy the woods, everyone.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Today: Yellow Corn, Yellow Wax Bean, Yellow Chanterelle Chowder

This is my 8th year for this recipe. If interested, then go to Mushroom Dinner Pics & Recipes and look under the Chanterelle Dinner Pics & Recipes to find the recipe for this. It has lots of complexity to the flavor. This chowder cook above had Rosemary, Thyme, Sweet Marjoram, Dill, Leeks, Garlic, Sherry Salt, & Pepper and Cream.

Happy Mushroom Hunting, all!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Those look like chanterelle spikes. If you've never found chants before, then it is a new species. I found my first 3 years ago!
I have only found smooth chanterelle (Cantharellus lateritius) before. Never the two in my last pictures. We will all be posting bags overflowing pics within the next few days. Looks like a good season from what I have seen.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Chanterelles in Tarragon, Sherry, Cream Sauce over Scrambled Eggs & Toast

After perusing my recipe folder I ended up taking items from three recipes and combining them for breakfast.

Eggs, Red Onion, Cream, Chanterelles, Sherry, Jalapeno, Tarragon, Sweet Grape Tomatoes, Herbed Olives and Parsley.

As the cream sauce was cooking and catepulting me into tastebud heaven, I couldn't help but think how good it would be on toast too, in addition to topping the scrambled eggs, so I did both, below.

Happy summer mushroom hunting, everyone.

·
Registered
832 Posts
FWIW the Chants are just getting started in my neck of the woods here in NE Ohio. Went to my spot today and found lots of little pins, but nothing worth harvesting yet. Also checked the new chicken log from last year, and nothing at all is happening there yet. It flushed after the Chants were well underway, so I figure I have some time there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There popping and giant here in Crawford/Seneca county area. Went out this morning and picked a lot of mature ones and tons more left behind for another good harvest. Looks like a good year for chants. And mosquitos haha had a Pooh bear cloud hovering me entire time in woods this morning

21 - 40 of 64 Posts