Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Central OH - Franklin County

This Morning! Magnificent Perfect Chanterelles. I ignored the ones on the path and picked the ones to the side as they had no rain spatter dirt on the under side -- simplifying my preparation. The ones on the cutting board have had no cleaning.

Now . . . . What to cook?

Happy Summer Mushroom Hunting! 馃崉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)

Saturday: Bay Boletes and Chanterelle Mushrooms. I hadn't visited this woods since two years ago.

It didn't disappoint. The chanterelles were mostly about 10 days behind the woods yielding the Chants in my earlier posts. The Bay Boletes (Boletus Badius) were a hoped for find. There's only a few day window of opportunity for these, for me, before the bugs get them or they become huge pancakes on stalks.

There were sooo many different mushrooms in the woods, I was inspired to get into photographer mode.

Finding the Bay Boletes alerts me that another woods that has yielded a variety of Boletes as well as the smaller Yellow Silver Dollar sized Chanterelle should now go to the top of my list. I didn't get there at all last year for Chants or other summer shrooms like Chicken of the Woods (Laetiporus), or "Shrimp of the Woods" (Abortive enteloma).

Good Hunting Adventures in the Woods to you!! :)

Registered
I found a whole lot of Chant pins the last time I hiked through my Chant woods. Since then, we have had a whole lot of moisture, and warm overnight temps. I am hopeful that my next trip to that woods will yield a lot of sizable, edible, Chants! And maybe something will start happening on the chicken log!

And someone mentioned black trumpets a little while ago. They've kind of been on my bucket list for a while. I've kind of realized that I will not find them where I am finding my Chants. I find the Chants near the very top of the ridge. Very little moss up there, and I see moss in every pic of Trumpets that I've ever seen! The ridge I hunt tapers gently down to the park road that runs along the ridge. Once you cross the road, the slope drops steeply into the creek!

However, there's a parking lot at the bottom, and a short hike across a bridge, to reach the bottom of the steep side, i'm thinking seriously of having a good look around down in there. After all, it should be wetter at the bottom of the slope. So, you should find more moss.

This is just a semi-educated guess, but wish me luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
What to Cook? - answer to post #41 Question.

I couldn't resist baking a Chanterelle Crawfish-Tail Pie.

For the full recipe go to Mushroom DInner Pics & Recipes, 1st recipe under Chanterelle Dinner Pics & Recipes click here: Chanterelle Dinner Pics & Recipes.

Here's my secret. I get the Crawfish Tails frozen.

The quality has, for me, been 100% consistent over the 4-5 years that I've been making this delicious dish. (frozen Seafood section of Walmart who'd a thought of that).

The original recipe was posted by "Jack" from Michigan and a previous website moderator.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Korean Mushroom Porridge

From Louisiana . . . (My neighbor as well as the Crawfish Tails above)
My neighbor was curious about all my mushroom adventures and was making "Korean Mushroom Porridge" for some friends. So we did a trade.

She said Yes to my offer of wild Chanterelles to use in her porridge along with the "Beech Mushrooms" and "King Trumpet" mushrooms. She gave me enough afterward for me to treat my guests for the Chanterelle Crawfish Pie to an appetizer of Korean Mushroom Porridge.

In return I gave her a piece of my Chanterelle Crawfish-tail Pie.

Korean Mushroom Porridge with Chanterelle, Beech & King Trumpet Mushrooms

I was delighted with the purity and sequencing of flavors showing up as the white rice base did not disguise or temper anything.

Great Summer Mushroom Hunting to Everyone!! 馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)

Chanterelles today

In a great woods that I skipped last year. The Chanterelles were moderately abundant. This woods has lots of Boletes but I only found a few and they were past their prime.

What is noteworthy about this woods is that it has abundance of Red Russula.

I've never eaten this mushroom because I never find enough in good enough condition to make it worthwhile.

It is eaten more frequently in European countries. It is characterized as a hot peppery taste. Toxic if eaten raw, like Morels, when cooked it's fine.

Have a good time in the woods! 馃憤

Registered
I find some of those red Russula's in my woods as well. But they are hit and miss, and they always seem to be over the hill, at least a little bit. I've never found them growing as close as your pic.

The Chants are doing well, and I found some chicken primordia growing on the chicken log this afternoon. Looking at it from 20 feet away, I could see nothing, but something told me to get closer. When I saw the primordia I was really happy. good to know that the chickens are on their way! Why? Because this log is visible both from the walking path and the park road that run along the ridge!

Tomorrow will be dedicated to cutting the grass after the torrential downpours we've gone through. Wednesday is dedicated to 'shrooming!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
shroomsearcher - I saw no Chicken of the woods today. I like to cook them once or twice a year and have saved & posted some enjoyable recipes.

. . . . about when I get tired of /Chanterelles the chicken of the woods will be going good. I'm especially looking forward to getting enough Lions Mane to slice & dry enough to get me through a year of use of the powder.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
red Russula's i I've never found them growing as close as your pic.
shroomsearcher -- I composed that picture of the red Russula. Thery were all within a 20 ft circle--actually probably twice the number of Russula as in the pic, but it wouldn't have made as good a picture if I tried to get them all in a wide angle pic.

The other thought was to get a representative selection of various stages of growth.

Great Hunting to all you 'Shroomers! 馃槑

Registered
Well, that tells me that the height of the flush is still a little south of me. With all the yard and garden work done, I went out to get some Chants today! Problem was that places where I found small Chants just a few days ago, were barren! But I hunted around, and managed to harvest a decent small bag. Maybe about a pound. So, I have enough for a few good meals.

Registered
Nice haul Sparx! Your pics have inspired me to search this weekend. I only learned here that chanterelles could be found in Ohio. Been morel hunting for years.

Registered

Chanterelles today

View attachment 40239

In a great woods that I skipped last year. The Chanterelles were moderately abundant. This woods has lots of Boletes but I only found a few and they were past their prime.

View attachment 40240

What is noteworthy about this woods is that it has abundance of Red Russula.

View attachment 40241

I've never eaten this mushroom because I never find enough in good enough condition to make it worthwhile.

It is eaten more frequently in European countries. It is characterized as a hot peppery taste. Toxic if eaten raw, like Morels, when cooked it's fine.

Have a good time in the woods! 馃憤

Registered
Are you still finding chanterelles in Franklin County sb? Guess I've arrived to the hunt a little late but the pics are making me think I should be walking in the woods more often! Hoping to get out tomorrow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
gregorymon - Franklin county is still going gangbusters. Got a load this morning. See my post just below.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #60 ·

The Gates of Chanterelle Heaven are Still Open!
This morning's pickings below.

67 degrees in the morning; back home by 10:00am. What's not to like about this.

. . . and then breakfast:

Chanterelles with scrambled eggs. A little diced jalapeno with the garlic & onion, some white wine, parsley, shredded cheese blend & blueberry toast. Yummy!

Happy Mushroom Hunting Everybody!

41 - 60 of 92 Posts