Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Woods Report

The above woods is yet to reach its' prime. That may be a week away.

The location of my video post #42 (above) has yet to top out. I've picked that spot 4 times and each time there were more chanterelles and larger ones than the previous pick. The size this morning I know is not the largest this spot & woods has to offer. Perhaps the peak will be next week -- depenting on the ability of the woods to hold moisture and additional rain.

Some other woods I've picked in prior years and again this year were/are a week behind "Chanterelle Heaven". This bodes well for Central OH for the next several weeks, in my opinion.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Central OH - Franklin County

Chanterelle Heaven, Again Today

For the 5th time I (+ mushroom hunting buddy below) entered Chanterelle Heaven this morning.

This 5th time the Chanterelles are now about as big as they get here.

There were more than at any time in the first 4 visits.

This view below is of the area through which I did the walk-through video, above (post # 42).

Ha!!! I was even blessed by my mushroom hunting buddy finding the gloves I'd walked away from two weeks ago!.

This woods will continue to produce for another week on just the forest floor moisture now present. If we get more rain this could be a record duration of Chanterelle season for me in this woods.

Have a great Summer Mushroom Season, Everyone!! 😎

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Chanterelle & Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo

On the cutting board: Chanterelles, Argentinian Red Shrimp & a bag of Trader Joe's frozen Fettuccine Alfredo. I call this Fettuccini Alfredo a "Starter Meal" because you can add anything to it and it very quickly becomes a tasty, satisfying meal.

It's been my go-to when I want something satisfying and great quality without putting in any prep time.

Chanterelle & Shrimp Fettuccini Alfredo with braised collards & kale, cherry tomatoes (all direct from the garden) . . . and as it is a hot Summer evening, a Campari & sparkling water over ice. Somehow it is half empty and I haven't started eating dinner!? How's that?

Everyone -- get out into the woods. You'll be glad you did! Happy Summer to all! 😎

·
Registered
864 Posts
Chanterelle & Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo

On the cutting board: Chanterelles, Argentinian Red Shrimp & a bag of Trader Joe's frozen Fettuccine Alfredo. I call this Fettuccini Alfredo a "Starter Meal" because you can add anything to it and it very quickly becomes a tasty, satisfying meal.

It's been my go-to when I want something satisfying and great quality without putting in any prep time.

View attachment 40379

Chanterelle & Shrimp Fettuccini Alfredo with braised collards & kale, cherry tomatoes (all direct from the garden) . . . and as it is a hot Summer evening, a Campari & sparkling water over ice. Somehow it is half empty and I haven't started eating dinner!? How's that?

View attachment 40381

Everyone -- get out into the woods. You'll be glad you did! Happy Summer to all! 😎
This is a terrific post, even though there is no Trader Joe's any where near me. But, ready to prepare meals are becoming more available. This is a great idea!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)

Today, Saturday, Chanterelle Heaven continued to please me. Pristine white oysters were just starting too.

As I had committed to sharing a Chanterelle dish with a neighbor I was fortunate to find a spot that I had completely overlooked in my 5-6 previous visits to this woods.

I had to look differently, going through briars, grasses and weedy growth beneath understory -- only seeing the Chanterelles when I'm within about 7 feet from them. With the briars, each Chanterelle was its' own challenge to reach.

passing scenery below

Have some summer fun - out in the woods. Good Luck. 😎

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Woods update for Central OH

A week ago I said that my best Chanterelle woods (Chanterelle Heaven) had enough moisture in the forest floor to last a week and that after that it would depend on the rainfalls.

Yesterday's pickings proved that to come true.

What happened after I left the woods with a good haul that I thought would be my last was a good rain which pumped .75" into Chanterelle Heaven -- even as another area with a woods I hunt got 2.5" and some other areas within the same driving distance got "0" Zilch! Nada!

Look at this rainfall around Central OH yesterday:

The red with the brown in the center are areas of 2.5" rainfall yesterday, while the white areas have 0 rainfall.

Where would you choose to hunt in the next few days?

Here's the link to this great rainfall gauge tool: Rainfall totals for the last 24 hours to 3 days - high resolution map – iWeatherNet

You have to do a little configuring: such as the time frame, area of the country, type of map overlay, etc.

Hey . . . Happy Summer Mushroom Hunting! 😎

·
Registered
328 Posts
Woods update for Central OH

A week ago I said that my best Chanterelle woods (Chanterelle Heaven) had enough moisture in the forest floor to last a week and that after that it would depend on the rainfalls.

Yesterday's pickings proved that to come true.

What happened after I left the woods with a good haul that I thought would be my last was a good rain which pumped .75" into Chanterelle Heaven -- even as another area with a woods I hunt got 2.5" and some other areas within the same driving distance got "0" Zilch! Nada!

Look at this rainfall around Central OH yesterday:

View attachment 40400

The red with the brown in the center are areas of 2.5" rainfall yesterday, while the white areas have 0 rainfall.

Where would you choose to hunt in the next few days?

Here's the link to this great rainfall gauge tool: Rainfall totals for the last 24 hours to 3 days - high resolution map – iWeatherNet

You have to do a little configuring: such as the time frame, area of the country, type of map overlay, etc.

Hey . . . Happy Summer Mushroom Hunting! 😎
I find this to be a helpful tool thanks for sharing.....

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)

I listened to my own advice - followed the rain data - and got out into the woods this morning to spots getting good rain multiple times in the last week. I wasn't disappointed as the Chanterelles are still going strong. Lots of good sized ones and some new ones just starting, although the season is getting long.

After gorging myself in Chanterelle Heaven, I stopped by 3 different woods on the way home and found Chanterelles to a lesser degree in all of them.

This is what I chose to bring home, below.

I noted a number of logs in multiple woods, getting some good Turkey Tail growing on them. I'll be back in a week or two after they've grown some more, for some of these, to make my Turkey Tail medicinal extract.

Giant Hamburger Bun sized Boletes -- past their prime.
I think I know a woods or two that may have fresh ones . . .

This is magnificent weather today to be outside!! 🌞
Enjoy some time in the woods! 😎 🍄
Cheers 🍷

·
Registered
864 Posts
I was ready to pronounce Chant season behind us. Went out yesterday, 8- 14, and found a grand total of two Chants after hiking that entire ridge! Also, the Chicken log doesn't seem like it will flush this year. No sign of life on it. I guess I'll have to go out and check at least one more time. What surprised me is that I found no honeys in spots where I found them in the past after siginificant rainfall! We got dumped on 4 straight days.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Woods Report - Central OH

This time of year where I find Chanterelles shifts. I find them later in the season beneath 3 canopy layers, where the cover holds moisture best.

This is a 3 picture sequence from 3 days ago, below.

1st there is the main story.

2nd there is the 4-6 ft tall understory of saplings & bushes.

3rd. underneath the bushes is the 12-14" tall various forest floor growth keeping in the moisture and which I'm pulling back below.

Have a good time in the woods! 😎 🍷 🍄

·
Registered
864 Posts
I hope so. Last year that log popped at the same time the Chants did. And I know it was the first pop for that log, because it's only about 20 ft off the path that you enter the ridge on. I spotted those chickens 70-80 ft up the path! But, now that I think about it, I found my very first chicken in early October. We were playing golf, finished the second hole, and driving to the next tee we passed an oak grove. I looked in there and saw those colors!

I told my buddy that I saw a chicken. He stopped the cart and looked, but he's not a shroomer, so he expected to see an actual chicken walking around in the woods. I showed him what I meant, and put my fingers on it. It was the cincinnatus species, and was absolutely prime! When we got back to the clubhouse I asked the guy if anybody had permission to hunt mushrooms on the course, and told him what I had found. He said his cart guy hunted morels there in the Spring, but he'd ask him about me.

Golf season was winding down, so we went back to that same course the next day. It's one of our absolute favorites in the area. Plus, it was off season rates and a weekday, so seniors get a discount! After the round I hunted up the cart guy. He said, "Oh. You're the guy who wants the chicken behind the second green! Yeah, take a cart and go get it!"

I had a knife and bag in the car just in case, and raced out there since it was almost dark. It was pretty well dark by the time I got back. Walked to the patio where my buds were having beers, and had bought me one. I sat down, pulled a big swig, and showed them what I had harvested. My buddy said "This feels exactly like a fresh chicken tenderloin!" I said yes, and that they taste like them too! That's why they are called chicken of the woods!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)

Today's (Friday morning) Chanterelles. I got'a check. I think this is a record long Chant season for me.

Like the last time, they were mostly under the multiple under story.

some little ones too - but not many!

Lot's of Honeys - losing quality immediately!! :(

This Chicken of the Woods caught my eye from a distance exciting me, but . . . past its' prime already.

Tonight I need to start a fire in the fire pit in the back yard, tip up a really icy cold beer 🍺 and dance around the fire in thanks to the "Rain Gods" for the regular & abundant rain of recent.

Hmnn . . . well, maybe a glass of wine! 🍷

Enjoy your time in the woods. 😎

·
Registered
864 Posts
I took a short walk yesterday just to take a quick look to see if anything was up close. We had a downpour on Wednesday. Nothing doing, but I'll go back Sunday morning to give them some time to pop. I don't have the multiple understory in my Chant woods, but now I'm thinking of a place that might. It's on my hunting club. Mixed oak, beech, maple forest, and there a kind beech "grove" within it. I think it might be worth a look.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Shroomsearcher - That's the type of thinking that will gain success this time of year, for Chants. Good luck.

So, here're a few more examples of time-of-year niches I look out for.

There's a set of two woods I go to here in Central OH (Franklin County) that have the small yellow Chanterelle that never gets more than a silver dollar in size. At this time of year, in those woods, I'll still find them hiding in the shadow of fallen trees, where the sun never touches and they are more protected from drying wind. I'll also find them by tracing the seasonal drainage trails through the woods and ocassionally around and in the spots of spring time vernal pools.

In Hocking County, late in the Chant season I've found them (the larger orange smooth Chanterelle) in the parallell ditches that at one time 100 years ago were logging roads. Water collects in these parallell ditches that typically are 1 to 2 1/2 feet lower than the surrounding land. So, there is a different moisture level and the grasses & weeds growing in these tracks will help shade (as well as hide, Ha!) the Chanterelles.

So, while the easy Chant pickings have gone, they can still be found. I sort of enjoy the greater challange. Well, then of course I love the woods!

Hey Everyone . . .Anytime is a good time to get into the woods! 😎

·
Registered
864 Posts
We're supposed to have some cooler days coming soon, and I'll wait till then to make that trek at my hunting club. It's a bit of hike, and there's no way I want to do it in this heat and humidity!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Honey mushrooms have started to come up in masses in Cuyahoga County. Almost time for hens and shrimps, hopefully some lions manes too

61 - 80 of 90 Posts