Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Took a short hike today and found some fresh Chants flushing. Most were still fairly small, so I'll head back there tomorrow with my knife and bag. Used this afternoon to cut the grass and "be responsible". That last rain we got from Ida, thankfully it wasn't reall heavy up here in Mahoning Co., and the cooler temps have the grass growing like Topsy again! Tomorrow I play!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well, went back out today, and did a more in depth search. The Chants were everywhere! I could afford to be picky, so if a Chant had more than on bug tunnel in the stem, it did not make the cut! I found a whole bunch that were absolutely pristime! Not a bug hole in them!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 · (Edited)
Central OH - Franklin County

Yesterday was a good example of why I enjoy Fall mushrooming. I found 3 different edibles and brought home 2 and had them for dinner last night.
Polyporales Mushroom Nature Organism Natural landscape

These were the tender pieces I cut off and brought home, below
Polyporales Glove Wood Organism Trunk

I also brought home a baseball sized Puffball that was perfect for cooking.
Organism Grass Font Soil Geology

The White Oyster were too dried and I also had all I wanted to cook last night.

For the barbequed Chicken of the Woods I cut it into strips and marinated them in a 1/3 olive oil & 2/3 barbeque sauce combination and grilled them over charcoal along with zucchini, getting some blackened grill marks on each side.

The Puffball I sliced into 3/8" slices and fried it in olive oil & toasted sesame seed oil. Then I used it in a tomato, mozzarella, Puffball Stack, which was a slice of tomato, a slice of fresh mozzarella and slice of fried Puffball. Between each layer was a layer of chopped fresh basil, and a criss-cross pour of both Olive Oil & Balsamic Reduction.

Both Yummy!

Happy hunting everyone! 😎

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·

Today, Sunday, as soon as I entered Chanterelle Heaven I found two Chanterelles. Could my great Chant season be going to continue to bless me?
Wood Twig Mushroom Terrestrial plant Fungus

So I picked the better of the two, expecting to find more and maybe enough Chanterelles for a dinner further into the woods.

Surprise. This is all I got of Chants, below HA!!
Brown Table Wood Floor Flooring

As I took my sweetie to this woods for the first time, it was a nice walk in the woods.

Plant People in nature Leaf Branch Natural landscape

At this point I don't expect any rains to resurrect Chanterelles in Central OH and therefore am declaring for my hunting purposes that my record long Chant season is over!!

I'm setting my sights on Hen of the Woods, Lions Mane, perhaps some Boletes, more Chicken of the Woods, Turkey Tail (for Medicinal extract) and maybe a few more Puffballs which, once every other year, I like to cut into Texas Fries sized pieces and coat them and fry them.

Good luck mushroom hunting, All. 😎

·
Registered
864 Posts

Yesterday was a good example of why I enjoy Fall mushrooming. I found 3 different edibles and brought home 2 and had them for dinner last night.
View attachment 40585

These were the tender pieces I cut off and brought home, below
View attachment 40586

I also brought home a baseball sized Puffball that was perfect for cooking.
View attachment 40588

The White Oyster were too dried and I also had all I wanted to cook last night.

For the barbequed Chicken of the Woods I cut it into strips and marinated them in a 1/3 olive oil & 2/3 barbeque sauce combination and grilled them over charcoal along with zucchini, getting some blackened grill marks on each side.

The Puffball I sliced into 3/8" slices and fried it in olive oil & toasted sesame seed oil. Then I used it in a tomato, mozzarella, Puffball Stack, which was a slice of tomato, a slice of fresh mozzarella and slice of fried Puffball. Between each layer was a layer of chopped fresh basil, and a criss-cross pour of both Olive Oil & Balsamic Reduction.

Both Yummy!

Happy hunting everyone! 😎
There's a well known mycologist, Paul Stamets who cooks them much the same way, and posted a video about it. I'll see if I can find it and post a link. Found it!

81 - 90 of 90 Posts