Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Hocking County - Hedgehog from Sunday.

View attachment 44357

While I found one nice sized Hedgehog, most were smaller, like these below.
View attachment 44358

I found 5 groupings of 2-30 Hedgehogs each that were just starting and therefore small. I believe a great Hedgehop focused trip awaits in 4-5 days.

Enjoy some Fall woods time! 馃槑 馃尀
I love the taste of hedgehogs but can never get a good amount of them. Sounds like you scored on a bunch!

Registered
We got some t'storms early Monday AM. Tomorrow will be grass cutting day because it needs it, and they're calling for more rain Wednesday and Thursday. Finally!
shroomsearcher - I'm going to keep an eye on what falls in SE OH - Hocking County hoping those Hedge Hog Mushroms I saw Sunday get enough rain to grow further.

On to enjoying/cooking Sunday finds:

Tonight, I decided to do something quick. Biscuits with Bay Bolete & Hedge Hog Mushroom Gravy.

View attachment 44364

Sauteeing the 'shrooms . . . and . . . well . . . there's Wine for the Cook and Sherry for the cooking!

View attachment 44365

While it was good (below), I'd hoped for something showing up the flavor of the Bay Boletes and Hedge Hogs better. The Half & Half and flour thickening muted the flavor to just satisfying & pleasant.

View attachment 44366

馃槑
If I get more good Bay Boletes and/or more Hedgehogs, I'm going to make Mushroom Soup--a version I made several years ago where I didn't do a cream base but a water base, just moderating the texture with some cream of tatar for slight thickening of the boullion water base. I remembered how well the 'Shroom flavor stood out.

Happy Hunting, All! 馃槑 馃尀
A little corn starch will thicken that as well. On another subject, do the bi-color boletes stain when you touch or wipe the pores? I'm not to the point of confidence on them. What color are the pores?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts