Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, it’s started mentally for me. Had first morel dream of the year last night due to me going to sleep thinking about them🤣. My daughter asked me yesterday when we’re going to catch mushrooms again she was 3 last year 4 now, well she heard all the birds in the morning and seeing snow gone lately and being smart as whip to spring conditions and 🍄 time she’s put it together and ready to hunt just like me! So proud as my other girls don’t have interest. Anyways been looking at notes of previous years soil and air temps in relation to my first finds from previous years. I’ve got a pretty good idea of the formula but always studying and learning. From readings I’m seeing it’s gonna be a early year. 2nd picture is eye exercise. There’s a animal in that picture I walked up on can you see it? It’s very well blended in and didn’t move until I got about 10 foot away. Took picture at about 20. Good luck to everyone this year!
Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover

Plant Plant community Tree Leaf Wood

·
Registered
178 Posts
I’m definitely disappointed to see this on the main page. Promoting a dangerous trespassing activity isn’t the best idea. I suppose, unless you know a railroader or two that have unwillingly killed trespassers you might not get it. People get themselves killed by trains a lot….because they think they are smarter, can hear them coming, yada yada yada….
Plant Ecoregion Light Sky Tree

·
Registered
5 Posts
I posted a find last year and mentioned that I found some close to a RR (towpath that runs parallel and completely legal public land) and I got chased out of town on the forum. All, it's not worth the time wasted judging others about situations you know nothing about. How about some helpful content?? I am super stoked to get out and fill up my bag. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I will be at my early black spot in north central ohio this weekend. I’ve been paying attn to my temp maps I go by and according to them the mushrooms should be there haha. Mother Nature makes her own rules but this method has told me when to go look at places hours away and hasn’t failed me yet so we will see. I will have a report by Sunday afternoon good or bad. 🍄🍄🍄🙏🙏🙏

·
Registered
190 Posts
Blacks pop first when ground temps reach 45-50. I typically find blacks starting first few days of April in north central ohio. This year we never really had a deep freeze over the winter so ground temps came up faster especially with the last few warm rains we’ve had.
I been checking my new black spot in MO like a maniac. Still don't know when to look. Only ever found one black last season LATE. Gonna use other states info to zero in on them.

·
Administrator
2,482 Posts
Blacks pop first when ground temps reach 45-50. I typically find blacks starting first few days of April in north central ohio. This year we never really had a deep freeze over the winter so ground temps came up faster especially with the last few warm rains we’ve had.
If I had my Treehugger back together I would be out there some now, I bout got it done..should be done and roll'n by April 7th .. I might still find some blacks then

·
Registered
229 Posts
Black season must be short then....for me at least. So odd I found one solo at the end of April last season. Thought it was a half free from a distance but I hadn't found any more halfies for a while, only large yellows. I bet the spot got worked over by a few hunters and someone didn't finish their homework. No cut stalks though..... hmm.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts