Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Couple of pounds today, Mahoning Co. Found them in an area about 12'x12'! Clustered up all around an apple tree that is half keeled over with about half of it's root ball out of the ground. It has still leafed out, but is clearly in distress. Nothing else anywhere I went. Yes, more rain coming and then a dry spell, when I can cut the grass YET AGAIN and then get back out there.If I can remember how to download pics to my computer and then get them up here I will post them.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 · (Edited)
Trufflehunter - That's an amazing picture. Guardian of the Treasure!

That was my first thought . . . and then I wondered -- maybe it was going to eat them! (?)

While I get along with snakes pretty well (Vietnam era pic) I'll have to say those Morels would have come home with me . . . but still, not the snake!!!

Elbow Beard Street fashion Reptile Scaled reptile

Great hunting in the woods to everyone!! 🌞 🌞 😎

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yeah, I've never minded most snakes either. I've only seen a couple out mushrooming, and I usually just see the grass moving as they slither away as fast as they can! If the head end of that snake was up, I'd have gone to get those morels!

·
Super Moderator
696 Posts
I thought it was done or bad year. Guess I needed patience. Woods exploded today. Picked over 200. Greys, yellows, half frees, blacks, and tulip morels all from same wildlife area 300+\- acres. Zoom around on half free pictures they were everywhere. There up get out there! View attachment 43011
View attachment 43007
View attachment 43012
View attachment 43005
View attachment 43009
View attachment 43010
View attachment 43008
View attachment 43004
View attachment 43006
View attachment 43003
Awesome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally found my first and probably last of the season, better than nothing. I have only ever had luck finding them near streams creeks and rivers. I hiked for miles on hills and slopes, looking around dead trees, found nothing. Do you find yours near water, does it really matter? Probably my biggest struggle this season was timing and the fact I don’t have that go to spot yet.

Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Fungus False morel

Wood Rectangle Font Tints and shades Pattern

Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass Annual plant

Plant Vegetation Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover

·
Registered
190 Posts
Finally found my first and probably last of the season, better than nothing. I have only ever had luck finding them near streams creeks and rivers. I hiked for miles on hills and slopes, looking around dead trees, found nothing. Do you find yours near water, does it really matter? Probably my biggest struggle this season was timing and the fact I don’t have that go to spot yet.

View attachment 43042
View attachment 43045
View attachment 43044
View attachment 43043
From the looks of it you have a go to spot now. Wherever you found those it will continue to produce. Looks like solid ground to hunt. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I thought it was done or bad year. Guess I needed patience. Woods exploded today. Picked over 200. Greys, yellows, half frees, blacks, and tulip morels all from same wildlife area 300+\- acres. Zoom around on half free pictures they were everywhere. There up get out there! View attachment 43011
View attachment 43007
View attachment 43012
View attachment 43005
View attachment 43009
View attachment 43010
View attachment 43008
View attachment 43004
View attachment 43006
View attachment 43003
Good for you! Worked my butt off today on my and my neighbors yards. Will finish tomorrow and then, it's to the woods again! we've gotten plenty of rain, nights have been cool, days not too hot, so I think we have more season ahead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 43007
View attachment 43012
View attachment 43005
View attachment 43009
View attachment 43010
View attachment 43008
View attachment 43004
View attachment 43006
View attachment 43003
County?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I gotta ask cause from late April there is some nice pictures of blacks this year in Ohio. What are the main trees everyone finds black morels under? Now I am in Wisconsin and the season is super late and getting close and I have scouted out over the past 3 months 5 property's. I have found about 500 elms and 150 Apple trees to check this year, also some nice Ash and Oak trees. I'm thinking I'll have a solid year with the Greys and Yellows but I'm curious where everyone finds the blacks and half frees at? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was always afraid that this would happen someday. Today was the day. FWIW, southern Cuyahoga County, I'm finding very few so far this year, but I left these behind!
Disgusting. I would have left them behind too. I was hiking in the desert once and heard a rattlesnake; once I saw him coiled up I promptly returned to my car. End of hike. What kind of hideous snake is that, anyway?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Looks like a black rat snake to me. They're harmless.

Oh, almost forgot! About a pound, pound and a half today. Hunted my "low" spot today, and it was real different from my high spot last week. Definitely a one here, one there kind of day. And apple trees only produced one morel for me. Sycamore and black cherry were the stars today. I'll go check another spot I have tomorrow, and then Thursday will be a day off to rest. Probably cut the grass again on Friday, then a rainy weekend with cooler temps following. I think this season could keep going a little bit.

181 - 200 of 206 Posts