Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

OHIO 2022 -- Summer Mushrooms

7K views 52 replies 10 participants last post by  sb 
#1 Ā·
Happy Summer mushroom hunting everyont!!

Let's post our Summer mushroom finds here.

#30 Ā·
Chanterelle Shepard Pie & Charcoaled Red Snapper

Tonight for dinner, working off an excess of Chanterelles. This recipe called for 8 cups of sliced Chanterelles.

Food Tableware Plate Blue Dishware

It seems like making 3 different dishes, then layering them together in the same dish and baking them further.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

The result was great eating and good acompanyment to the Charcoaled Red Snapper.

Good Mushroom Hunting!! šŸ˜Ž šŸŒž

#38 Ā· (Edited)
Tuesday evening -- it is Chanterelle & Crawdad-Tail Stuffed Poblenao Peppers for dinner.

Organism Plant Gas Petal Art

Getting ready below to do some cooking!!

Food Tableware Table Ingredient Recipe

Above are most of the items. I just sauteed the onions, then adding garlic, then Chanterelles, then Crawdad Tail Meat; then stuffing the saute into the Poblanos Peppers which had been cross-sectional cut to be squat cylinder shapes as seen below.

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe

and after baking, then on the plate to eat . . . with braised mixed greens below!!

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe

Very Satisfying!

Good Summer hunting to all - get out into the woods for some adventure! šŸ˜Ž šŸŒž

#40 Ā·
Hocking County OH

Thursday I made a spring water run to Hocking county. There were mushrooms every close by to the spring. I'm going to have to make a mushroom hunting trip as I wasn't prepared to hunt on this trip.

This beautiful "Bitter Bolete" below was growing out of the mossy ground at the base of a tree

Plant Mushroom Water Leaf Botany

After getting my 50 gallons of spring water, my trip tag-alongs and I went to the Inn-at-the-Falls restaurant. In the Hocking State Park.

The soup of the day was fresh, wild Chanterelle Soup, Ha!!
That & a burger & a glass of wine and I was in heaven

Food Tableware Dishware Kitchen utensil Ingredient

They made their Chanterelle soup with Half & Half for a smooth base and kept the Chanterelles sufficiently whole to recognize. This rendition contrasts with my prep above (post #19), where the liquid was chicken broth and the whole soup was blenderized till creamy smooth. I would guess my prep had 4-5 times more Chanterelles in a bowl and was reflected in the taste.

Still, I loved it!

Enjoy the woods!! šŸ˜Ž šŸŒž

#41 Ā· (Edited)
Central OH - Franklin County

A morning trip into Chanterelle Heaven today and I returned with these below. They were fresh from the woods, and clean enough for me to just put them in a paper grocery bag, cover with another paper grocery bag and into the refrigerator.

I brought enough home for two dinners.

Ingredient Natural material Cuisine Wood Dish

Orange Milky Cap (Lacterius) below in good condition.
I've never eaten them, but I see/read online that many do. Anyone here eaten these?

Plant Mushroom Organism Wood Polyporales

Lots of Ringless Honey - past their prime.

Plant Vegetation Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant

Enjoy the woods. šŸ˜Ž šŸŒž

#42 Ā·
Hocking County OH

Chanterelles again today, Sunday, in Hocking county. They have had sufficient moisture to get to their largest size for these -- fist sized ones that call out to you from long distances in the woods.

Plant Green Table Botany Wood

Plant Mushroom Food Ingredient Wood

This is a beautiful Bay Bolete. I did the tongue test - not a Bitter Bolete like the one at the spring Thursday, post # 40, above - also sitting on moss. It was the only one up to that point and so I didn't take it home with me. I have only one woods where I can find lots of these Bay Boletes at the same time.

Plant community Plant Mushroom Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

I took the opportunity to cruise past some cliffs where, during Morel Season, I lodged a nice Buck Deer 8 point rack and skull -- not wanting to trapse around in the woods with it. (pic from April just below)
Plant Green Deer Natural material Branch

Well!! I'll be! It was still there in the crevice in the cliff and I placed a 'shroom beside it before taking this pic below, today.

Nature Wood Natural material Horn Terrestrial animal

The Chanterelle season is getting long, but still going. Hocking is, in the spring, 5 days or so ahead of Central OH.

Adventures await, in the woods. šŸ˜Ž šŸŒž

#43 Ā· (Edited)
Chanterelle & Shrimp Risotto, tonight, Tuesday.

Simple ingredients, below: Risotto Rice (Arborio), Uncooked frozen Shrimp, Chants & Onion, Chicken Broth (not shown).

Food Ingredient Kitchen utensil Staple food Cuisine

The more stirring in the cook of the Arborio rice, the creamier the texture of the Risotto.

Food Tableware Dishware Liquid Plate

Looked good . . . Tasted even bettert! I'm eating a small night-time reheat of leftovers as I post this (even down to the glass of wine!! ha!)

Food Tableware White rice Dishware Staple food

Go ahead . . . treat yourself . . . you deserve some good time out in the woods!! Ha!
šŸ˜Ž
šŸŒž

#49 Ā·
Friday afternoon - I Returned to "Chanterelle Heaven" woods.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Wood

The recent two days of 1.5 to 2" of rain had a measurable effect. I did not see many new little ones, but it added size to already present Chanterelles in the woods. I should look up what my dates of last Chants were for prior years.

Good luck and good times to all in the woods!! šŸ˜Ž šŸŒž

#50 Ā·

I found some great Chicken of the Woods. Supremely tender & young. Just right.

Polyporales Mushroom Organism Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

All I wanted was enough for dinner so I left all these.
Plant Polyporales Botany Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

On the cutting board below.

Food Wood Ingredient Corn on the cob Natural foods

I barbequed them over charcoal. Then corn on the cob and fresh from the garden sliced tomato with a slice of fresh mozzerella and a fresh basil leave - then drizzled with balsamic glaze.

Food Corn Corn on the cob Sweet corn Tableware

Good stuff happening in the woods! Have a good time! šŸ˜Ž šŸŒž

#51 Ā·
Central OH - Licking County

Thursday: This is one of 3 varieties of Hericium or Lion's Mane I find in Ohio. I prefer the Pom version, so I can cut it in slices and fry it.

Plant Wood Bedrock Trunk Groundcover

However this is destined for my dehydrator and then I'm going to powder it. As it is considered a medicinal mushroom I put the powder in pancake batter and on my cold morning cereal, in gravies, etc.

Flower Ingredient Plant Petal Recipe

I have a spot in Franklin County that -- it it yields Lion's Mane again this year, it will be the 7th year in a row. So I'll have to remember this bike ride find above for next year in the early fall.

Enjoy the woods! šŸ˜Ž šŸŒž

#53 Ā·
jg -
Thanks for sharing that Comb Tooth Coral is one of the common names for Hericium Coralloides. I usually lump the various Hericium all together conversationally as Lion's Mane". I find other common names used also, in other parts of the country or in local usage.

I'm going to find a picture from several years ago that I posted on here and re-post it. It had 3 different types of Hericium that I found on the same day, together on the cutting board. I've seen 2-3 different common names used for each variety.

After drying yesterday's Hericium, I have it in an air tight jar. I'll powder it later.

Food storage containers Drinkware Ingredient Cuisine Food

Here's a pic below of some of last year's dried Hericium amerinacious on the (right) table beside yesterday's Hericium
coralloides.
I understand they both/all have the same medicinal properties beneficial to nervous system/brain function.

Wood Natural material Artifact Jewellery Plant

Well . . . I've though long enough on this now that I seem to recall I decided not to call it "Comb Tooth Coral" because there are other "Coral mushrooms" that are not Hericium.

And . . . Oh Yea! . . . I second that "It's delicious!"

Woods Adventures Await! šŸ˜Ž šŸŒž

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.