Ohio Reported Finds 2017

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by jim33, Apr 4, 2017.

1. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Hi guys, I found my first morels of 2017 last Monday, baby Yellows in Hancock County last Monday in my super early spot. I took my 4 year old to see the patch today(Monday 4-3-17) and figured we would make a video while we were there. This patch is off to a great start and I think it is an indication of a great season ahead, unless of course the weather gets unfavorable.
    I forgot to take something with a date on the 27th(they were still pure white, one day old I figure) so I swung by on the 29th to get a picture with a March date since this is only the second time I have ever found morels in March.

Good luck to everyone this year!
    IMG_0235.JPG

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    OUmorelman and (deleted member) like this.
  2. bltii

bltii Morel Enthusiast

I'm in Licking County. Plan to go in the next couple days and look around. I've been in Africa all of March and was a bit worried I was going to miss this season!

Niclynn36 and (deleted member) like this.

3. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Oh wow. It looks like you have made it back in time! Good luck!

4. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Nice find Jim33. Can't wait . . .

1 person likes this.
  5. L.M.

L.M. Morel Enthusiast

We hunted yesterday in Brush Creek State Forest in Adams County, near Peebles. Approx. GPS coordinates are: 39'01"28.68 N - 83'20'29.50 W and 83'19"55.02

I hunted the low areas along creeks and my friends hunted up high on the flat parts of hills. My friends found nine small black morels, each about an inch tall. This is the first they found this year.

This is the second time I looked along the creeks. I found nothing both times. I just seems too early because it hasn't started to "green up" in the lower areas. Typical spring wildflowers were out, but not proliferous. I think we're a week early in this area.

1 person likes this.
  6. Thru hiker

Thru hiker Young Morel

Nice video ! Shouldn't be much longer now .

1 person likes this.
  7. Cagey

Cagey Young Morel

IMG_0021.JPG Found my first two in Clark County today.

Niclynn36, L.M. and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Vince

Vince Young Morel

Found 12 3 to 4 inch blacks in Fayette County today - April 8-2017

1 person likes this.
  9. hugh

hugh Morel Connoisseur

I found 8 small yellows in franklin county today around dead elm and ash IMG_7889.jpg

10. L.M.

L.M. Morel Enthusiast

Found 23 gray morels around the base of sycamore tree in dry leaf litter and thin patchy grass. They were 15 feet from the road. These were found near Brush Creek State Forest in Adams County (Peebles/ Locust Grove). Approx. GPS coordinates are: 39'01"28.68 N - 83'20'29.50 W and 39'01"28.68 N - 83'19"55.02. They were found on a 72 Adams County morels - 09 April 2017.jpg degree day in near-full sunlight. The only shade was the sycamore tree.

11. bltii

bltii Morel Enthusiast

Found a handful of blacks today in Licking County, Granville area

1 person likes this.
  12. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

They are really starting to come out good. I hit a nice patch that had about 70 out of the 97 total we got yesterday. Allen/Hancock counties. Was very surprised to see the yellows already. I dunno if they are all going to come out at the same time this year but it seems like that may be the case around here. IMG_0426.JPG

1 person likes this.
  13. Cgnops

Cgnops Young Morel

Nice stuff Jim and encouraging. I didn't find anything in southern Lucas county on Sunday. Hoping for better luck this week.

1 person likes this.
  14. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Thank you. About two weeks ago the lake wind was keeping it a little cooler clear down to just past Findlay, nearly 10 degrees for a couple days. I think that is responsible for where I have been sticking to flushing these out. I got another 92 today. I forgot the date in the picture but what is in the bowl is from that picture above. There was a couple really big yellows I found tonight that really surprised me. Stictly Allen County this evening.

IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0432.JPG

1 person likes this.
  15. thunter1

thunter1 Morel Enthusiast

hocking co mature blacks,,,,
    IMG_0018.JPG

1 person likes this.
  16. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Picked up 52 today between Allen and Hardin Counties. A few of the bigger ones... IMG_0481.JPG

Thru hiker likes this.
  17. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Allen county yesterday evening. Picked 41 total, really need rain for a strong finish! IMG_0494.JPG

1 person likes this.
  18. morelseeeker

morelseeeker Morel Enthusiast

Hi all,
    I'm now Morelseeeker instead of Morelseeker had to do so in order to re register. Any who I found half frees, grays, one tiny tulip, and some big whites on Monday in west Central OH. I didn't find any blacks which is surprising since it seemed like a good year for them. Maybe someone beat me to them. So many people are out now even on private land. When I ask permission I've been getting other people hunt here but I suppose it's alright if you want to go ahead and try.

1 person likes this.
  19. AngryMorel

AngryMorel Morel Enthusiast

i have a woods to hunt, but no wheels :(

20. Thru hiker

Thru hiker Young Morel

Congrats Jim 33 looks like an awesome season so far . I found 70 smaller tightly formed greys in noble county Saturday.i had plans to go hard this coming weekend but the job decided they need my time .

1 person likes this.