Ohio Reported Finds 2018

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by jim33, Mar 28, 2018.

1. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Started seeing quite a few Facebook reports of Micros being found in Southern Ohio today. Mostly black morels but one report was a gray. Good Luck Everyone. It looks like it’s shaping up to be a great season!

MASSAC, Kym, (deleted member) and 2 others like this.
  2. sharpsbarn99

sharpsbarn99 Morel Enthusiast

Hey Jim33. Really??? Don't tease us. Getting the fever, for sure. The morel map isn't even showing any reports in KY, yet. Just seems too cold still. I definitely don't wanna be a naysayer. I want morel madness!! :D:D Just curious where these reports are coming from. https://www.thegreatmorel.com/sightings/

2 people like this.

3. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Sharp - Thanks for the link just above. That's a nice map set-up they have. I looked at the 2017 version, drilled down to Central OH and the posting dates, locations certainly agreed with my personal experience last year.
    Thanks again and 'have a good year'

2 people like this.
  4. sharpsbarn99

sharpsbarn99 Morel Enthusiast

That's cool with me! It was a lot warmer last year a lot earlier, so that is why I am a cautious believer. Saw that the morel map has been updated with a find in my area. I guess nothing surprises me. I always say we have a microclimate in this river valley. Can be 2 weeks ahead of 2 weeks behind everyone around us. Good luck and happy hunting!

Mushroommarty likes this.
  5. joshmac

joshmac Morel Enthusiast

On my morel Facebook page lady found some blacks in Ross county....on 3/29/18

kbh and (deleted member) like this.
  6. joshmac

joshmac Morel Enthusiast

And northern West Virginia there was a find...

7. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Facebook groups are turning up dated reports, all southern Ohio. A fella I know found some blacks today near Chillicothe. The weather forecast is all over the place for NW Ohio this next week, don’t really want them to start up here yet lol

8. cockeyed1

cockeyed1 Young Morel

9. morelseeeker

morelseeeker Morel Enthusiast

The soil temp yesterday before it snowed was 48 degrees in West central OH. A constant 53 degrees would be ideal.

1 person likes this.
  10. thunter

thunter Morel Connoisseur

Asparagus will start when soil temp hits 52...nothing showing yet in garden. Better shroom seasons are the ones that seem to take forever to warm up, but I will say the forcast temps dropping below freezing at night has me a bit worried. Needs to start doing better than that by end of this week...nice to start seeing some pics though

Kym likes this.
  11. Hoon

Hoon Morel Enthusiast

Buddy found some pins in highland county mar 28, they disappeared over last snow. I was out for few hours today, mayapples are comin up, all oaks are still naked. Really slow year so far.

1 person likes this.
  12. Browniebi

Browniebi Morel Enthusiast

Found 3 small heads popping through the soil in Fayette County on Sunday.... I think we are still 7-10 days away from picking small to medium blacks.... Been a long wait but I'll also piggyback off what thunter posted, the best morel seasons I have ever had were ones where it seemed to take forever before we started picking and I went back and looked at some of my recent log books and just scanning through them it appeared as if years where I was just starting to find yellows by the last week of April were the best years I've had.... Picking yellows into May on a daily basis is something I havent experienced lately, but in years past when I was picking yellows in May it was always a banner year. ... So let's keep our hopes up....

Pendog66, Zabz and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Kym

Kym Morel Enthusiast

Found a few tiny blacks about 6 days ago around the Dayton area. Too small to pick but they were starting!

14. thunter

Good for you Kym...I think I could find some babies if I'd check on a couple of my early spots, but nothing of eating size yet. Too many hunters pick anything and everything. Most spots I pick I can leave the smallies and get em later on when they are worth picking.

15. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Enthusiast

I have to agree. I'm up here in NE Ohio, so we're about the last folks in the state to find morels. I remember one year not long ago when we had temps in the low to mid-80's in early March! That year wasn't worth a crap for shrooms of any description.

I do hope it starts warming up pretty soon. We have plenty of water in the ground, now we need some temps.

2 people like this.
  16. Kym

Kym Morel Enthusiast

I like to go out and scout new potential trees/spots a few weeks early. I actually found 10 decent size blacks yesterday in my normal spot. However it’s still too early, saw a lot of small ones and babies I left to grow. But I did pick a couple nice ones. I couldn’t help it! We just needed a little taste lol. Mother Nature is keeping us waiting too long this year!

2 people like this.
  17. Kym

Kym Morel Enthusiast

3CF63C21-6A60-4949-939C-64FB267630A3.jpeg F94F40AC-E035-4162-A8C9-783334204B02.jpeg
    Here is a few pics from yesterday. I never think to bring a receipt or anything with me to time stamp lol..

18. thunter

Nice Kym...I do the same..can't leave em all
    ...A year is a long time to wait. That's encouraging news...if your seeing a decent amount of micros there should be plenty more still hiding under the leaves..
    Keep the pics coming

Kym likes this.
  19. Zabz

Zabz Morel Enthusiast

That's insane, you must be in one of those micro climates people talk about.

Kym likes this.