Oklahoma Message Board 2014

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 3, 2014.

1. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Happy New Year y'all,Can't wait for the morels to start poppin. Good luck to everyone this year :)

2. morel belle

morel belle Morel Enthusiast

Picking season can't get here soon enough. I have been hunting for two years, but I only found a few last year. I was so proud of my 20 mushrooms. After looking at post on this forrum I realized that I have alot to learn. I live in edmond any pointers will be appreciated.

3. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Happy 2014 everyone. We are getting close so I thought I'd check in and say hi. I'm sure the board will start buzzing in a month!! Morel Belle, stick close to Rivers or creek beds. Elm is the most popular tree around here to hunt, but I have luck near cedars and cottonwoods too... I like hopping from spot to spot, if I spend an hour somewhere trying without anything to show, I usually go somewhere else. Sometimes a perfect looking area can have few or no morels.

4. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Hopefully the synoptics will reverse in February and March to a wetter weather pattern. I truly enjoyed my 2000+ morels find on my first year hunting on Okie soil last year and plan on finding as many in 2014 to share them around (i.e., for free)...as "the fun is in the hunt".
    The next 15 days will be prime for erratic wildfires across the state, which is generally good for morels- The lack of rain, however, isn't. Thou shall see and fingers crossed-

5. okie shroom hunter

If we can keep the above average rainfall I think it will be a great year

and to add to Nate's list of trees I seem to do good around persimmon, bois d'arc,and catalpa and really most popular trees, but hey with morels you never really can tell.

6. morel belle

How do you change your avatars?

7. morel belle

Does southeast oklahoma have prime season before central oklahoma?

8. okie shroom hunter

How to change my profile picture?
    To change your profile image please go to gravatar.com create an account and add your photo.

This should answer your first question copied directly out of the faq
    As for the second question im around the ada area and the earliest morel I can remember finding was March 12th last year but as for a prime season it varies year to year cause of factors like temperature and moisture , usually id say around late March and early April though

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  9. morel belle

I have changed my profile picture. It's a Oklahoma sunset. I am a proud okie. Things I love include: sunsets, fishing, hunting , picking blackberries and musidine berries, and last but not least Morel hunting.

10. wolf claw

wolf claw Morel Enthusiast

Hey I created a gravatar.com account but what do I do next?

11. okie shroom hunter

If you have added your email already then hover your mouse over your profile image in the upper right corner and it should bring up the option add an image, so if you click on that it brings up options where you want to get your image from and click where the photo is whether online or your computer.

Hope this helps

12. santa shroom

santa shroom Morel Enthusiast

We are about to get some moisture!!!!!!!

13. thefarmerman

thefarmerman Morel Enthusiast

Hey everybody .. I am planning a trip around mid beginning of April as I've done my research ..depending on weather.. I hope to hunt.avidly. looking for motherlode of blondes as we have very few in Washington state..I've picked over 50# many times.. hoping to b as successful in OK. Anybody want to show a brother around I will happily return the favour when you come to wa...looking forward to it. ..getting close...peace

14. okie shroom hunter

Im glad were getting this snow lately at least it allows the ground to absorb the moisture instead of it just running off, it also allows for some easier rabbit hunting

15. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

I'm tired of this cold weather... I hope it makes for a good shroom season with all this snow.

16. okie shroom hunter

Don't look like you'll have to wait to much longer for the warmth Nate
    [​IMG]

I know the 50s arnt really warm but hey it feels like it compared to the 20s ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  17. sapworm7979

sapworm7979 Morel Connoisseur

Should be good this year with the moisture. Last year I left way more than I picked.

18. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

:) I know it already feels like a heat wave compared to what it has been.

19. sapworm7979

sapworm7979 Morel Connoisseur

I feel like gobbling a little today.

20. okladuckbuster

okladuckbuster Morel Enthusiast

Hello,
    I have been lurking on here for several years now and finally decided to join up.!
    This warm snap has me itching for spring morels....
    Had a great morel season last spring and I am soooooo looking forward to this year.!!