Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
239 Posts
Happy 2014 everyone. We are getting close so I thought I'd check in and say hi. I'm sure the board will start buzzing in a month!! Morel Belle, stick close to Rivers or creek beds. Elm is the most popular tree around here to hunt, but I have luck near cedars and cottonwoods too... I like hopping from spot to spot, if I spend an hour somewhere trying without anything to show, I usually go somewhere else. Sometimes a perfect looking area can have few or no morels.

· Registered
239 Posts
Well welcome oklahduckbuster!! The more the merrier to this usually friendly message board. Sounds like you are just like the rest of us.... Can't wait to hit the woods and find the first Morel. Too bad we can't hurry them along. They always take their sweet time, guess that's what makes them so special. I think we are in for an above average year.!!

· Registered
239 Posts
I don't think so lizard...You can't ever tell for sure but it looks like even if we start getting consistently warm temps the budding trees and spring are going to be late this year.. I'm guessing two weeks late so I would guess the first Oklahoma Morel around March 23....Maybe even up to a week later. This is just a guess though, but often times I get in the ballpark at least. We have 20's as lows in the forecast for next week. It usually takes two weeks of lows around 50 for them to pop good around here.

· Registered
239 Posts
Morel Belle I have a few spots in South East Ok and several around OKC.. they can start up to a week earlier, but they don't always. Sometimes they pop around the same day. sometimes they can end a week or two earlier if the weather is warmer there. Just a crapshoot, but if you are in either location I would say on a crazy year you could find them as early as March 6... but should probably get serious most years around March 20th... This year they won't be up til closer to the later date I think. Hope I helped just an opinion no one knows for sure.

· Registered
239 Posts
Sup Mitch. Hoping I have some time to get into woods. Miley is having complications with her current pregnancy and is in the hospital for the last 5-6 weeks of the pregnancy....so that's where most of my time is and will be going. Either way I'm ready for something to take my mind away.

· Registered
239 Posts
Wow thanks man. I'm sure I can send my brother or dad or one of the people who sometimes go with me to pick at my spots if needed, but I appreciate that offer. Sometimes people can be very generous!!

· Registered
239 Posts
Yay!!!! It's March! Warm up already weather...Morels or no Morels I'm tired of this abnormally cold winter. Thanks Mitch and Iwonagain. for your concerns and thoughts. I told Miley. Mitch I hope we get to go out and sack them up at least once this year!

· Registered
239 Posts
Thanks Kevin I am trying! No I moved Southwest of Okemah in the country. I am right between Wewoka and Okemah near Cromwell. It takes me about 55 minutes to get to Ada. That's not too bad if I find time I got some spots near there I'd like to hit again this year. Good to see you back. Maybe we can sneak in a hunt sometime.

· Registered
239 Posts
Okie, I do not work at Wanette Schools any longer... Unfortunately I couldn't take another minute at that place. Asher is a much better school system. I am working at a k-8 in Okfuskee Co. this year. It's called Bearden. I am teaching 3 hours of social studies and doing 3rd-8th sports. This is the area/school I grew up at, and believe me morchellica, I know I'm in a pretty good place. I have many more spots here than I ever piled up in my 5 years around Ada/Roff/Wanette. Last year for me was slightly above average when you talk about total pounds. I didn't have as many killer days because it seemed like they were spread out over more than 2 months.. Just like v.c. said. I did find some nearly every new place I looked last year even if it wasn't a killer flush. I found a lot on the River in Seminole, Okfuskee, and Oklahoma Counties. Found a lot in Pottowatamie, McIntosh, Cleveland, Hughes, Bryan and Tulsa Counties too. Those were the only counties I can remember looking in though. Too cold I don't think we will see a Morel before March 20th and could be closer to the 1st of of April. Last year they started early, hit a mild rut where they were there just scarce, then the mild temps popped them out and kept them out a good while. I was even finding them one day last year during an ice storm. I remember branches and falling ice kept hitting me while walking.

· Registered
239 Posts
Last year I kept a very detailed log of my Morel hunting. The previous two years I also did logs, but forgot some hunts so they were kind of shotty. Anyways this is what I came up with:

Prior to 2011 I just have a few notes.... My Earliest find ever up til 2011 was March 20th. My Latest Find ever til then was April 20th... Best single hunt was around 45 pounds... Best year was around 200 lbs

2011:
First Find: March 17
Best Day= 18 lbs(March 26th)
58 lbs- total recorded(think it was more like 115)
Last find of year for me: April 5th
Last find reported on Board: April 16

2012:

First find of year: March 7
Best Day: 60-70 lbs..(130 lbs total with partner that day)(March 21)
Total Pounds: 200 +
My Last Find: April 1st
Last find reported on Board: April 9th

2013:

First find on board: March 14th
My first find: March 16th(2nd Hunt of season)
Best Day: 16 lbs(April 28th)
Last Find of my season: May 12
Last find I heard of from person on Board: May 17
Total Days I hunted Morels in 2013= 34
Total Days I got skunked= 7 Days
Days I found just a few= 5 Days
Days of 1 to 16 lbs =22 Days
Total Pounds for 2013= 111.5(128 if you count the ones Miley picked with me)

· Registered
239 Posts
Yeah I just got to looking at that stuff because I felt like last year was about average or a bit better, and it seemed like it for most people. Just not me... average at best I guess. I think the only reason my total poundage was close to normal was because of how many days I had to hunt due to the long season. My single days on average just weren't great. I know v.c. and ndwoods and mitch and many others had a lot better days and even season last year than I did or so it seemed.... also I'm guessing since this is the coldest winter and I haven't even seen Bradford pairs or anything blooming it will probably be around the 1st of April before we start being serious about looking. Going to be late and I am guessing it will be a fast season. I think we will get warm fast enough in April we may be looking at a three week season like I've seen in the past.

· Registered
239 Posts
Lol don't feel silly morchellica.. If you weren't around this board 5 years ago you probably wouldn't have known. I went to high school at Butner(Cromwell) and just moved back down here. I try my best, but there are lots of great hunters around. I am not related to any of the Williams's around Cromwell. I know a few of them from Cromwell. My Dads side was originally from CA and last few generations from Midwest city to Harah area. Moms side originally from Florida and last few gens around OKC. Her maiden name is Ives, and we moved out here when I was 9. Can't believe the warmth. If it stays like this maybe around 2 weeks from now we will have a sack full of morels.

· Registered
239 Posts
I'm not for sure, but it seems like you can't just rely on the rainfall amounts.. I think if that had all been rain it would be looking not so good, but since much of it was ice or snow. It took a long time to seep into the earth and kept the ground moist for extended periods of time. Plus the cold temperatures didn't help zap it right back up so I'm no expert, but it seems like on the years around here when we have snow/ice storms and some moisture we are okay. Hope I'm right.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.