Oklahoma Message Board 2014

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 3, 2014.

1. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Well welcome oklahduckbuster!! The more the merrier to this usually friendly message board. Sounds like you are just like the rest of us.... Can't wait to hit the woods and find the first Morel. Too bad we can't hurry them along. They always take their sweet time, guess that's what makes them so special. I think we are in for an above average year.!!

2. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Welcome okladuckbuster,and I hope your right Nate.The past few years have been kinda disappointing for me hopefully with some new spots I got this year I can do a little better :)

3. sapworm7979

sapworm7979 Morel Connoisseur

I think we could have a banner year if it don't get 80 and windy too quick when they do start. Last year was killer up here. We are always about the last in OK to find. I live right near the KS line. I honestly left hundreds of pounds last year that I did not pick. Picked all we could dehydrate. Turned my boy and my Mom on to the place and they too got what they needed. I found then where there was a lot of ground cover that held the snow we got and also held the moisture. These were late in season but very fresh five to six inch. Believe it or not mostly in tall dead johnson grass and plum patchs.

4. shelliwolf

shelliwolf Young Morel

Im in tulsa ok area anyone want a hunting partner this year let me no

5. lurkinlizard

lurkinlizard Morel Enthusiast

Do you think this 60-70 degree temps will make the morels pop sooner this year?

6. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

I don't think so lizard...You can't ever tell for sure but it looks like even if we start getting consistently warm temps the budding trees and spring are going to be late this year.. I'm guessing two weeks late so I would guess the first Oklahoma Morel around March 23....Maybe even up to a week later. This is just a guess though, but often times I get in the ballpark at least. We have 20's as lows in the forecast for next week. It usually takes two weeks of lows around 50 for them to pop good around here.

7. francisshroomer

francisshroomer Morel Enthusiast

Alright, I'm pumped. Come on dogwoods start blooming. Of course I never wait that long.

8. okie shroom hunter

Im with Nate on this one, I think thell be a little late this year especially with this colder weather coming in this next week and the trees aint even started budding yet, so I don't think will have to worry about the shrooms coming up within next 2 or 3 weeks atleast. Just my opinion though :)

Here's the farmers almanac for March

MARCH 2014: temperature 56° (3° below avg.); precipitation 2" (0.5" below avg.); Mar 1-9: Periods of rain and snow north, rain south; chilly; Mar 10-14: Sunny, cool; Mar 15-20: Rain, then sunny, cool; Mar 21-24: Showers, cool; Mar 25-31: Sunny, then showers, warm.

So depending on there definition of cool we might not be finding shrooms till around the 25th.
    But hey we live in Oklahoma so you never can tell what the weather will do ;)

9. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

there will be morels in oklahoma as soon as they start popping on the north side of the red river and i don't see that being much longer than by the end of the first week of march. most of oklahoma still has a bit of waiting to do. i don't have a job right now so my plan is to start south and follow the morels all the way to kansas and missouri this year. i'm so excited!

10. sapworm7979

I believe it will be like every other year. Redbuds bloom, morels pop and turkeys die. Last week in March First week of April for the Northern border of OK.

11. thefarmerman

thefarmerman Morel Enthusiast

Hey again everyone ..what's a brother from another land have to do to get a reply ...from Washington state..AWesone season here...picked morels from may to august. ...no yellows here...I want to come visit and pick mass amounts of your okie morels...I'd give up 20% of my harvest if someone wants to take me to some great spots... I'm no greenhorn in the bush and know my trees pretty well ...and can pick a lot of shrooms.....what's up.?

12. lurkinlizard

farmerman, Oklahoma may not be the best state for you to commercially harvest mushrooms. Oklahoma is Native America, and even those who aren't Indian tend to adopt the "no one but the Creator owns the bounties of Mother Nature, so let's leave some for everyone" philosophy. Also, OK doesn't have much public land. Most of it is either Indian land, or private land. I don't think the Indians will help you do commercial level harvesting. You'd probably have to get permission from a farmer or rancher, and trying to get someone like that to give you permission to harvest on their land...well...No offense but a place like Washington or Oregon where there is a lot of commercial picking may be a better location for you.

13. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

hey farmerman. you say you will be in oklahoma in april? if it is indeed a later year for them than you may be right on but i think there's a good chance getting here then could limit your hunting to just northern oklahoma. i've got a few hunting buddies for picking central and southern oklahoma but not up north by the kansas line

14. okie shroom hunter

Sorry thefarmerman but all the places I hunt are private land (but 1) and I cant usually bring others on the. Hope you do find someone that can take ya though and good luck this season.

15. sapworm7979

Get a public hunting map. Lot of public land in central OK. Lot of folks don't think of looking in the obvious places like golf course edges and city parks. I don't mind picking them in a manacured lawn setting.

16. lurkinlizard

I'm afraid it's illegal to forage in WMA--wildlife management areas/public hunting areas, in OK.

http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/department-managed-area-rules/

"It shall be unlawful to cut, dig, damage or remove any crops, trees, shrubs, timber (including dead standing trees), water, gravel, sand, earth, rocks, minerals, shed antlers or other natural resources other than legally harvested fish and wildlife from Department-managed lands without prior written approval from the Department."

17. okie shroom hunter

Wonder how hard it would be to get written approval from the Department ?

18. thefarmerman

thefarmerman Morel Enthusiast

Not really a commercial picker...on a big level...just looking to get in a killer picking in OK....permission from anyone is possible ..I'm an optimistic...looking to get some weight for sure in yellows...but whatever...I'm a friendly hip fellow...peace owt y'all...hope ta see ya in da woods...!hit me up if anyone is wanting to hook up

19. nixtr

nixtr Morel Enthusiast

Just carry around a bag of trash you are picking up. Green jeans wont bother you on public and WMA land if they see you doing a good deed. Stash morels in paper bag within the trash bag. Sometimes rules need to be bent a little. Or get night vision googles, if they dont see you....out of sight out of mind!!

Even places where its OK to hunt, I would rather not be seen....especially carrying around a spore boy full of sponge.

Good luck!

20. francisshroomer

francisshroomer Morel Enthusiast

I would like someone to take me mushroom hunting for other mushrooms. I have never tried Chicken Mushrooms or Oyster Mushrooms. I mean I have come across alot of shrooms that look similar to these but don't want to try them without someone giving some guidance. Oh man, I am craving some yellow morels.