Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 889 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
@ morel belle Usually after about 4-5 days of consistent soil temps above 50 will start bringing them on....then after that it depends on the weather..if its cooler they will grow slow of course...and if the weather continually gets hot as you probably know , will end the season quickly..!!

· Registered
12 Posts
Morchellica..I have no specific date yet ..but I'm coming when the hunting is good ...ima free bird so I'm getting my plane ticket when I know they are popping...hence my inquiry as to connecting w another avid hunter...I never rape the land but am respectful of the mother..as I am a steward of the land ...only looking to hunt aggressively and find the bounty ..!

· Registered
578 Posts
They are on Twitter, if it's the same group. As far as the sight, I couldn't find it either. Maybe they went to Chris Matherlys sight, seeing they all hunt together anyway. Last I knew they were making a movie , I think with Nat. Geo.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Morelhunters.com doesn't charge a membership (not to my knowledge atleast ) the great morel site does I think, morelhunters was back up during the holiday season but they took it back down about mid January. Surprised it aint back up yet though. And there talking about a couple more winter storms the next couple weeks

· Registered
203 Posts
oh god. that's the last thing we need, a nat geo show that turns everyone onto hunting morels. don't get me wrong, people are into morels b/c they are so absolutely amazing but it sucks when people get turned onto things b/c of a stupid tv show, especially when it will be about commercial morel hunting most likely and different teams seeing how many pounds they can pick. probably deadliest catch but with mushrooms.

· Registered
12 Posts
I like tom...Chris is arrogant and his girly friend is agro. ..I hope this never makes it to broadcast ...this is the type of crap that ruins the woods for people who rely on nature...quick everyone run to the woods and pick as many mushrooms as u can ..flood the market and ruin it for those who rely on it as a partial income...while these jokers make money off the royalties and such ....really bad display of professionalism. .

· Registered
25 Posts
I agree, the last thing we need is some TV show making mushroom hunting the "next big thing." UGH.

That being said, I did a quick hunt yesterday for oysters and didn't find much. Any suggestions on what else might be happening here at this time of year?

· Registered
613 Posts
Perhaps the best reward I get from morel hunting is the opportunity to share such a culinary wonder with friends, acquaintances and neighbors. Last year I found about 2000 morels and gave away (i.e., for free) about 85% of these. A passion, by definition, should not be driven by money/competition (e.g., the aforementioned TV show).
Last season I was walking behind a fence near a ditch and the owner happened to stop by with his truck to inquire what I was doing behind his fence - After informing politely that I was hunting for morels and that in my country there are no such thing as large private forests, he left and came back to offer me a sizable bag full of fresh morels he picked the day before when mowing his property and then left with a big smile. That encounter with such a friendly Okie made my day !.
Changing gears, I still do not see any decent rain in the foreseeable future (at least based on the GFS model)-:
http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model Guidance&model=gfs

41 - 60 of 889 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.