Oklahoma Message Board 2014

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 3, 2014.

1. morel belle

morel belle Morel Enthusiast

How many days does the soil temperature need to be in the fifties before you will see mushrooms.

2. thefarmerman

thefarmerman Morel Enthusiast

@ morel belle Usually after about 4-5 days of consistent soil temps above 50 will start bringing them on....then after that it depends on the weather..if its cooler they will grow slow of course...and if the weather continually gets hot as you probably know , will end the season quickly..!!

3. thefarmerman

Morchellica..I have no specific date yet ..but I'm coming when the hunting is good ...ima free bird so I'm getting my plane ticket when I know they are popping...hence my inquiry as to connecting w another avid hunter...I never rape the land but am respectful of the mother..as I am a steward of the land ...only looking to hunt aggressively and find the bounty ..!

4. sapworm7979

sapworm7979 Morel Connoisseur

I seen a sign on a wma that said just what you posted and had an exclusion for fungi. So pick on.

5. sapworm7979

Anybody else have trouble getting on morelhunters.com site?

6. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

is morelhunters the one that started charging a membership? yeah, looks like the site is down. also, i like to here that you saw that exclusion for fungi on gubment land.

7. vc

vc Morel Connoisseur

morelhunters never charged (your thinking about Matherlys site) Ryan has sold the morelhunters.com site but i have heard it will back online soon ,down doing maintaince

8. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

They are on Twitter, if it's the same group. As far as the sight, I couldn't find it either. Maybe they went to Chris Matherlys sight, seeing they all hunt together anyway. Last I knew they were making a movie , I think with Nat. Geo.

9. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Morelhunters.com doesn't charge a membership (not to my knowledge atleast ) the great morel site does I think, morelhunters was back up during the holiday season but they took it back down about mid January. Surprised it aint back up yet though. And there talking about a couple more winter storms the next couple weeks

10. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Here's the Trailer for the movie they were doing.

http://youtu.be/1W2aAh2dYc8

11. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

oh god. that's the last thing we need, a nat geo show that turns everyone onto hunting morels. don't get me wrong, people are into morels b/c they are so absolutely amazing but it sucks when people get turned onto things b/c of a stupid tv show, especially when it will be about commercial morel hunting most likely and different teams seeing how many pounds they can pick. probably deadliest catch but with mushrooms.

12. sapworm7979

Just like the ginsing show.

13. thefarmerman

I like tom...Chris is arrogant and his girly friend is agro. ..I hope this never makes it to broadcast ...this is the type of crap that ruins the woods for people who rely on nature...quick everyone run to the woods and pick as many mushrooms as u can ..flood the market and ruin it for those who rely on it as a partial income...while these jokers make money off the royalties and such ....really bad display of professionalism. .

14. lurkinlizard

lurkinlizard Morel Enthusiast

I agree, the last thing we need is some TV show making mushroom hunting the "next big thing." UGH.

That being said, I did a quick hunt yesterday for oysters and didn't find much. Any suggestions on what else might be happening here at this time of year?

15. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Perhaps the best reward I get from morel hunting is the opportunity to share such a culinary wonder with friends, acquaintances and neighbors. Last year I found about 2000 morels and gave away (i.e., for free) about 85% of these. A passion, by definition, should not be driven by money/competition (e.g., the aforementioned TV show).
    Last season I was walking behind a fence near a ditch and the owner happened to stop by with his truck to inquire what I was doing behind his fence - After informing politely that I was hunting for morels and that in my country there are no such thing as large private forests, he left and came back to offer me a sizable bag full of fresh morels he picked the day before when mowing his property and then left with a big smile. That encounter with such a friendly Okie made my day !.
    Changing gears, I still do not see any decent rain in the foreseeable future (at least based on the GFS model)-:
    http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model Guidance&model=gfs

16. sapworm7979

Days like today and yesterday are no good when season does start. It is dry as a pop corn seed on top here.

17. sapworm7979

Anybody planting anything in the garden yet? I set out 400 onions and broadcast some lettuce and radish seed last week.

18. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Not yet sapworm, just finally got it tilled and will hopefully get the radishes, beets, and spinach planted this week or weekend and I always plant the taters on saint patricks day.

19. vc

vc Morel Connoisseur

Every one here better hope for rain. Soon

20. sapworm7979

Waiting on the taters here too. St Patrick's day for them. I always try to get the onions in as soon as they show up in the store. It was dry enough to till real good so I got them in.