Oklahoma Message Board 2014

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 3, 2014.

1. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Could not resist a last hunt after work...surprisingly we found 85 morels (almost all of those quite fresh) under cedar patches along some country roads outside Norman and in one of our 'easy' regular spots and this in ~1h30 -Found about 30 other specimens that were past. I was certainly not expecting to find so many fresh specimen still...As far as the insect 'problem' goes I often noticed that some mature yellow morels have colonies of those so called "springtails" on them - aka extra protein ! ;)
    http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/morel101/CIMG8553_zps915804a7.jpg

2. cronic

cronic Young Morel

I believe vc was the small one whom called him out and even posted his own pics. What is really sad is he never said there were 16l pounds in the picture. he said he found 16 and the pic was of some of them. Notice he aint chimein in now the truth is out. A small small man charlie. Lets not forget kb tryn 2 get out of it. Keep postn big finds. We all know why he wants the finds posted. He was in it calln the pic right along with charlie. A pair that should simply be ignored. Thats not all that the pair tried to pull. Trolls

3. morel mafia

morel mafia Morel Enthusiast

Jkelly56i would love some of your shrooms if you want to sell I am in oklahoma give me a call at five 80six060two53

4. oilfieldtrash

oilfieldtrash Morel Enthusiast

Great finds ! Wish I could even start to worry about lbs, I can still count mine on one hand and thats numbers not weight. Worst year I've seen in Osage Co in several years. Should have made the trip to Cleveland / Pott Co. but the whole job thing gets in the way of all the fun things in life.

5. pratherpea52

pratherpea52 Morel Enthusiast

I'm in the same shoes as u oilfield. Very few

6. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

cronic, get over it. Any serious hunter loves to hear and see pictures of motherloads. Nobody is being picked on and nobody is making things up. Can't you find any?

7. azukebean

azukebean Young Morel

new to posting on here, just moved from Kansas to Oklahoma close to Arkansas border by ft smith, desperate to find some morels here!!!!! --side note, in Kansas I cursed rolly pollies, slugs, and snails all the time for eating on the morels!

8. lurkinlizard

lurkinlizard Morel Enthusiast

Looked from 9:30 am to about 3:30 pm today in two spots that have produced well for us as recently as last week, in Logan county and in OK county, and nothing...not even some dried up ones. Checked under cedars, etc. Ground was dry as a bone except for the creek bottoms.

On the bright side, thanks to Iwonagain for helping me have a successful season! I'd only ever found them accidentally before this year, and he showed me how to find them deliberately. Thanks Iwon!

9. jodydt

jodydt Young Morel

Does anybody around guthrie kingfisher okc calumet areas wanna sell an extra couple pounds they have to an unlucky hunter?

10. iwonagain

Went out for ~1h after work today and found 20 more fresh morels.

11. garden

garden Morel Connoisseur

Hey from the eastern Ozark foothills, Iwonagain or other shroomers.
    We have barely got started over here. Everything is in full bloom. Today I walked 3 miles of the river bottoms where I normally find my morels. I found 5 big red/beefsteak false morels. We seem to be about 2 to 3 weeks behind here. Do you have any thoughts on the relationship between when the red ones come and when the morels will start after them? And wouldn't the morels be in the same vicinity at the red ones, near the dead elms? It is a strange year with all the bitter cold we have had this winter and the late start of spring warm weather. Thanks for any input.

12. shroommaster

shroommaster Morel Enthusiast

Not a great season for me oklahoma around tulsa. Not enough rain early in the season was the biggest problem wet out all season long watching the radar and where the little bit more rain happened found moderate amount of morels nothing like some years past. Did find some yesterday very few fresh some with tops blown off and most water logged and gone to stem. Time to hunt north and northeast into oklahoma and missouri. Thank god I have some great hunting spots in Illinois. Have already heard it should be a great season there. Going to give oklahoma one more shot today near Kansas missouri border. By the way great find Nate. I've only seen that once myself in the 40 years I've hunted them. Foliage growing up here is gonna make finding your morels much harder to see

13. iwonagain

From what I've seen here in OK and Europe, gyromitra tend to emerge about 2 weeks before morels. Usually soil conditions and type of trees for both remain very similar. In fact, whilst scouting a particular area (tree) early this year, there were 3 false morels under that particular tree (young elm). 2 weeks later (or so) I've found 4-5 morels under that same tree. I had much better luck in wash areas rather than river bottoms. I've figured out this year that cottonwoods+cedars seem to be a magic mix for morels.

14. garden

garden Morel Connoisseur

Thanks Iwonagain. I was hoping that is the case. Wish us luck over here. Saw the first copperhead snake while mowing the cemetery today. Time for knee boots. Thanks again....

15. ricomorelo

ricomorelo Morel Enthusiast

Does anyone think the rain we got will encourage new flushes to pop up? I sure hope so... It has been a really weird year. I have found maybe 4-5 lbs if that. Hole i pulled 84 lbs out of last year produced 2 lbs???? The good side found alot of potential spots for years to come. Good luck to everyone be safe.

16. iwonagain

You're welcome garden ! poison ivy are starting to invade most morel spots...went out today and grabbed ~30 more morels..all along the road.
    http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/morel101/Screenshot2014-04-24at75828PM_zpsb97ed33e.png

17. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

Iwonagain, cottonwoods+cedars was where I found the majority of my finds this season. And oilfield trash, Osage co. was a complete bust for me as well. It's usually where my best picking is

18. okshroomer

okshroomer Morel Enthusiast

Congrats on all the finds!!!
    Still nothing in the Caddo County area. I have been out more times than I care to say.
    Spoke to only one person that found 4 so the weather must have kept them from growing around here. Strange season.
    After the rain I have a tiny bit of hope to keep looking but the optimism is running low. LOL

19. iwonagain

Morchellica: It is ironic but wherever a road dips and has on its side cottonwoods+cedars, you can be almost 90% certain to find at least one morel there. Yesterday was no exception; I checked google maps for country roads south of the Norman area with those features, drove there and found a bunch. Only ~30 were edible, however.
    So far I've gathered ~ 1500-1550 morels, about 600 short from last year. I gave away already more than half.
    I do not think these new rains will trigger a new flush because the soil is starting to get covered by vegetation and most importantly the 2-4 inch soil temps are near 70F, which is too warm. It is yet still possible, however, that thick E and NE facing cedar patches might produce a few more. Thou shall see.

20. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Only had enough time for about a 30 min hunter today.Checked one spot I checked a week ago and found 31 (2lbs), had to leave some that were too far gone most of them are alittle old and did find 3 that is say we're about 3 days old gonna give it a longer try again tomorrow

[​IMG]

They may not be the best looking morels but thell eat :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017