1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 4, 2015.

1. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Welcome to 2015 y'all. Around 11 more weeks left to go before they start poppin here in OK. Hope everyone has a great season this year and can't wait to see them pics start pouring in. :)

2. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

3. miked4482

miked4482 Morel Enthusiast

I will be heading to Texas for work the first week of April hoping its a good time to hunt Oklahoma and I'm thinking about leaving a couple days early to hunt in Oklahoma would like to know if you could recommend any parks that would be good to check out. thanks

4. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Howdie Okie Shroom Hunter et al.:
    Despite the total accum precip being slightly below average in Central OK over the last 3 months, I've observed/noticed that the upper soil layers under foliage has been wet/moist since ~mid November. If this trend continues until early March, I predict a heck of a season for our neck of the woods (so to speak). Cheers, happy hunting to 'y'all' & bring on the hard rains (To quote Dylan).

5. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Hmm according to the California message board they found Morels in southern CA in December, and the 2015 Morel progression map on morelhunters.c shows there have also been finds in California in January. Maybe it will be an early year for us. Just hoping.. I have no idea what the weather will decide to do in early March, but I bet we will start seeing more reports of CA or Hawaii or some of the warmer states soon.

6. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

What they're finding in Cal. are called Landscape Morels and will fruit any time of the year. ( Morchella rufobrunnea )

7. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Oh cool. I knew they were landscaping Morels, but I didn't know they grew year round. I thought they started in December or January and lasted through the regular morel season. I thought I read that somewhere before, but maybe not. Thanks for the info.

8. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

And I wish I could find a landscaping Morel right now :wink:

9. wilsonfm

wilsonfm Young Morel

I live in Norman and was introduced to Morels when a co-worker brought in some he had prepared. I was immediately hooked. That was the last time I had the pleasure of trying them. This was 4 years ago. There were promises of taking me along when he would go looking each year but it appears that hunting locales are best kept secret. :) I have access to 10 fairly wooded acres that border lake thunder bird but I am not clear when or where to look for morels. Any pointers regarding my initial quest would be greatly appreciated!

10. pedro

pedro Morel Connoisseur

Oklahoma morles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNSYFlkvu0Y

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oklahoma-Morel-Report/277204182350817

http://www.oklahomawildcrafting.com/#!mushrooms/cea7

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7942927_pick-morel-mushrooms-oklahoma.html
    Mushroom expert dot com is the best web site for information about mushrooms. Go to his site. He has a search engine. Type in morels and start reading. Type in trees and start reading. That site can keep you busy for a long time.

11. okie shroom hunter

Didn't know that about the landscaping morels jack I was like Nate and thought they just grew during the regular season guess ill have to read up about them more.

Drove around Ada today and noticed the Bradford pears are starting to bud but that might be do to micro climate. With the temps like they are it makes me feel like I should be out looking even though I know its way to early.

12. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

[​IMG]

Morel found Feb. 6 in Camarillo, CA. according to morelmushroomhuntingdotnet

I cant wait. Probably only about a month away from things getting serious.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  13. jle

jle Young Morel

its getting close. I can almost taste em. How do I change my profile pic?

14. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

jle Go back to FAQ on the Home Page, it tells you there. 4 th. paragraph.

15. flatbottomfrank

flatbottomfrank Morel Enthusiast

ground temps are warmer than usual this year, if we get some moisture I'm guessing we might get an early start, and possibly have one of those long seasons if it doesn't get too warm.

16. iwonagain

Yep, soil temps have been unusually warm lately:

http://www.mesonet.org/index.php/weather/soil_temperature/okcn/7d

However, an arctic airmass is forecast to sag all the way down to the Gulf coast early next week, bringing icy precip, perhaps some snow and, most importantly, lows in the lower teens - Good news, though, is that models are hinting for 2 subsequent rounds of precip. The more precip we get, the better; to maintain that soil moist under those leaves!

17. okie shroom hunter

Well the warm spring, morel picking feeling is gone this morning. Atleast its some moisture though ill take all we can get.

18. santa shroom

santa shroom Morel Enthusiast

Agree, MOISTURE is what we need

19. iwonagain

Models and NOAA climatic outlooks:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

support colder-than-average temps and a wetter-than-average scenario for the next 14 days. Given this, I wouldn't be surprised if, once again, the morel 'shroom' season in central OK would start kicking on the 2nd third of March-Have been browsing through my morel photos & videos the last 2 weeks (total of ~4000 morel finds in 2 seasons --> $0 made and many happy bellies :) ) and cannot wait to hit the woods ! One of my easy, productive spots (close to work) has been bulldozed to build a gas station...Boo.
    Good luck to y'all and wishing you a fruitful foraging season !

20. lifelong_morelman

lifelong_morelman Morel Enthusiast

Checking in and subscribing to the thread! Can't wait for this cold weather to head back north so we can warm up and the shrooms will start poppin!