Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 4, 2015.

1. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Mature specimens that only a blind person could not notice ;)

2. oumorel

oumorel Morel Enthusiast

Ahaha, ok I get it. Thanks for the info. :)

So many people in the Oklahoma Morel Report group posting shots, I'm guessing they already had a few spots known beforehand in order to get those hauls. Or are further east where there's a bit more habitat for them.

3. ssforager

ssforager Morel Enthusiast

New to the board that has helped me the past two years. Hunted 4 times so far this year in Tulsa County. Found first 6 today under cottonwood as others have stated. Greys and not too big. Hunted a bunch around this find and nothing else. Tulsa County.

4. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

morchellica I haven't found any under any cedars yet but I haven't gone out and checked the past few days. I know the 1 I found it was out in the sun so MIGHT still be a little early to be finding them under the cedars.

5. okbob

okbob Morel Enthusiast

Haven't really started looking yet up here. Cottonwoods and elms are hit or miss here usually. Sandy ground covered with oaks and cedars are productive for us provided enough moisture.

6. horseapple

horseapple Morel Enthusiast

I finally got out Saturday and found 19 grays, ran over maybe 5 while mowing my parents lawn in stratford. Took some lunch to a friend here in ada and by accident I saw what looked like shrooms on the east side of his lawn, under two old elms I picked 155 yellows, you can view the pictures and video on my Facebook page under Joe Don Jones it's probably the most I've ever found in such a small area.

7. flyer

flyer Young Morel

Still none here in Creek County. Been looking everyday but nothing

8. cowboycarnival

cowboycarnival Morel Enthusiast

Found 3 false morel today about the size of softballs but no morels. Going out again tomorrow.

9. stone morels

stone morels Morel Enthusiast

I've found 20 lbs so far 10/30mins south of Ada but this year is weird, big blondes coming up before grays.... Then grays popping..... Very very isolated areas but when I've found them it isn't the 2s 3s and 4s its 20-250 per batch. The best way to morel hunt is walk all day long, I'm averaging 3 miles a pound. Not numbers indicating they are really up yet.... Let's see what this rain does. If it's a lot it could get craZy. It seems like it wants to :roll:

Also more numbers and larger false morels. I've seen some the size of your
    Head..... Wish they where nontoxic one would be like 5 meals

10. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

I found 25 on Saturday trying new spots. I went to one of my below average spots Sunday which I didn't even hunt last year because I don't have that much faith in it. It is a little further south than most of my other spots. I got there about an hour before dark. I found 130 of them totaling 4 lbs. It got too dark on me. I continued finding them with the flashlight on my phone til about 9:30. I guess I will have to run back to that spot in a day or two. My buddy who was with me picked around 100 too:)

11. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  12. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

[​IMG]

13. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

P.S. nearly all of them were under big healthy Elms. There were some in leaf litter mixed with Elm saplings and some in small green grass under Big Elms and a few under Big Ash. I tried hunting cottonwoods hard on Saturday and didn't find any. The 25 I found Sat. were also under Elm.

14. missourishroommate

missourishroommate Morel Connoisseur

Nate,

Nice finds, looks like it is ramping up!

Good luck ShroomMate!
    Mitch

15. missourishroommate

Hi all,

Well we had some luck this weekend as well in the Texas Hill country and southern Oklahoma. Not quite what we were hoping for in a 1,400 mile trip but better than a sharp stick in the eye! (which I got as well...) Cedars were showing smalls in Texas and Oklahoma was ash and elm.
    &lt;a href=&quot;[​IMG]"&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;[​IMG]" alt="" /&gt;</a>

Good luck ShroomMates!

Mitch

16. missourishroommate

17. iwonagain

Wow: Nate &amp; MSM: Congrats on your finds ! My stomach woes are about over and am ready to hit the woods all week long to monitor the progress of my spots ! . I knew that your apparent silence was synonym of good news ;) - Lets hope I can meet my average total of 2000-2500 morels this season (average between the 2013 and 2014 season) ! This years I have many folks who've asked me to let them have some (since I give them away for free) - better get to work ;) . Cheers and happy hunting to y'all !

18. morelmaniac

morelmaniac Morel Enthusiast

Nate
    Have you hunted any around Ada yet? I haven't found but a few rogues in this area.
    Kevin

19. iwonagain

Now that I *finally* feel better I could not resist a 15-min 'hunt' on my way to work this morning: Found 28 1-1.5 inchers and 5 'fresh' specimens (which included those 3 in the photos) - 4-5 days and we are talking !

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/morel101/d39c044c-4718-4fb6-bbfe-68caba738bfb_zpsfd4f9jza.jpg

20. ricomorelo

ricomorelo Morel Enthusiast

Nice haul Mitch and Nate. We need rain down this way bad... sure hope this year is better than last year in Ks. Im headed down to central OK tomorrow hoping to find my first of the season. Good luck to everyone this year be safe..