Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 4, 2015.

1. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Ricomorelo: We are still about 5-day-1 week early here in Central OK. You will have better luck farther down south near the border.

2. ricomorelo

ricomorelo Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up Iwonagain. I figured i would start around OKC and head south from there, until i find some of those lil burgers.... Going crazy sitting around here waiting for them to hit Ks. If i dont find any at least i can scout some good spots to noodle this summer. Good luck this season

3. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Ricomorelo: No probs. Two friends of mine who have been hunting morels for at least the last 12-15 years told me that finds are now relatively scarce: i.e., There are spots with mature ones - but isolated nonetheless. If you are willing to brave the ticks for a less-than-optimal reward then go for it and best of luck to you too fellow picker!

4. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Well there starting in western Pontotoc Co. Found 24 between 2 of us most on a south/southeast facing slope. Funny how most were in the spot where I haven't found many since 3 - 4 years ago. Left 1 that was about 1/2 inch tall. Also checked on the 1 I left 4 Days ago and it hasn't grown very much so left it again, all it did was turn brown. Surprised no others have popped up around it. Ill go try another spot tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Biggest was about 4 1/2 in tall

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Nate, when you said big healthy elms, were they live elms? Or dead elm. I rarely have any luck on live ones. Nice early ones by the way. And Mitch those look great.

6. shroomcuttin

shroomcuttin Morel Enthusiast

If they are that size they started awhile ago. All of you need to get out there and get me PUMPED up here in Iowa!!!!!

7. goshawk75

goshawk75 Morel Connoisseur

kb
    What does a healthy dead elm look like?

8. morelbooster

morelbooster Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up on the elm / ash tip Nate. I've been striking out on all of my bottom land / cottonwood areas. Tried some areas of elm today but no luck. I know there is something to the elm-morel relationship, too many people have made the connection. All my elm finds in the past have been by dead or nearly dead ones though. Know it's early still, but have never gone through March 30 with zero finds. It's really got me scratching my head.

9. buckhunter

buckhunter Morel Enthusiast

Shroomcuttin. Where at in Iowa?

10. shroombandit63

shroombandit63 Morel Enthusiast

Well I spent from noon until nearly dark looking in spots that have historically produced for me. I found nothing. I'm beginning to wonder if the moisture isn't partly to blame, as in my opinion, the temps are about right. Maybe by the weekend, Pottawatomie County will start lol.

11. sapworm7979

sapworm7979 Morel Connoisseur

This coming week end should be good. Red buds look nice and elms have a green cast. I am pretty sure a few could be found here but they would be small. A few more warm days a couple warmer nights and a little rain would really help. I think the dead tall grass should be good as it saves moisture and shades the ground just enough to simulate woodland conditions. It has always been good for us. Probably shouldn't tell as I have yet to see other hunters looking in this type of cover. I have had crappie four out of the last six nights and froze some today. They will go good with some new morels.

12. cowboycarnival

cowboycarnival Morel Enthusiast

Found some today finally after looking hard but to small to pick left to grow but I gotta head back to Nashville tomorrow... Least I spotted some .

13. rodneyp64

rodneyp64 Morel Enthusiast

Hey Goshawk 75 KB is a morel hunter from way back and he knows when you are hunting morels the only good elm is dead one

14. rodneyp64

rodneyp64 Morel Enthusiast

I would challenge you Okies to a mushroom hunt and a noodling contest but I would have to wear a blindfold and handcuffs to make it fair. Just kidding but my daddy taught me well and I have been lucky enough to hunt from Texas to Minnesota, Alaska ,Canada, for the last 35 years and tonight I lost the man who made it all possible. Rest in Peace Leroy Paden my father.

15. missourishroommate

missourishroommate Morel Connoisseur

Rodney, I am so very sorry to hear of the passing of your father! LeRoy Paden has always been and always will be a legend in my mind when it comes to Morels. I'm sure he is a legend in yours for many more reasons! My heart hurts for you this morning!

Shroom on ShroomMates!

Mitch

16. shroomcuttin

shroomcuttin Morel Enthusiast

Buckhunter I'm in sw Iowa near Omaha Nebraska..

17. buckhunter

buckhunter Morel Enthusiast

Shroomcuttin. Thanks. I was curious because my dad is from centerville/unionville area and he usually goes back every year to hunt shrooms. Good luck this year

18. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Rodney, My heart goes out to you and your family. Leroy is just morel hunting in a better place now. I was one of the lucky ones who got to hunt with him. Anyone who is any good at hunting morels in Kan/Mo. knows your dad was the Champ, although he always said his son was better than he was.

19. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

goshawk75, I guess I am just an older picker who gets confused easily. I do know looking around live elm is most likely a waste of time. Never seen any different in Oklahoma. My money is on RP in either contest.

20. morelmaniac

morelmaniac Morel Enthusiast

Rodney,

Sorry about the loss of your dad...sounds like you've got a lifetime of great memories which will always be a blessing.