Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 4, 2015.

1. missourishroommate

missourishroommate Morel Connoisseur

I'm glad you are feeling better IWonagain!

Hello Rico! I hope you are well! Good luck this year!!

KB, I think I was a little too early for the angle we were discussing. But I will try again this weekend!

Mitch

2. sapworm7979

sapworm7979 Morel Connoisseur

Rodney sorry to hear that.

3. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

My sincere condolences for your dad, Rodney.

4. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Now that I think of it KB. Most of the big healthy trees they were obviously making a circle around were the big ash. There were Elm saplings within close proximity to the base of tree along with a little Elm leaf litter and some elm limbs from bigger ones nearby. It was getting dark. I started finding them in my normal area on a slope near some Cedar, Elm, and Ash. usually they are so sporadic on that slope I haven't even thought about which tree was helping them fruit. I started finding them in some grass out in the bottom. Just down from the slope. It was pretty open with just a few saplings and a few big Ash and Elm. It was nearly dark before I got into them. I will take a better look in a day or two when I go back. I have found some near live Elms for sure though. Sometimes just when it has a big downed limb or some bark on the ground. You have me curious now because I was going faster than normal and didn't observe it as well as I should have. I know for sure though that the 25 I found the day before were 4-5 here or there in a low lying area full of Elm. They would only be growing around the elms that were on a little ridge in the low area, and even then. Only around 1 Elm every so often.

5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Nate, It does get hard to tell sometimes what the source is. Okie is really hard with all the cedar mixed with elm and ash. I have found some on live elm. Usually though the elm was passing, it just did not show yet. And sometimes they grow in places and nobody knows why. Sounds like you are having some fun though. Mitch, It will be interesting to see if that pans out. Sounds though like a little more rain that way would be nice.

6. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

And Morel Maniac. I haven't tried many of my spots in Ada yet. I will start taking them more serious from this weekend forward. I did stop and check one spot on my way through the other day and didn't see any.

7. rodneyp64

rodneyp64 Morel Enthusiast

Thank you fellow morel maniacs. Have to get back in the timber. I left some small ones north of 33 hwy last Wed. Hope they grew. I'm going to cook morels for everybody at the funeral dinner so I had better get busy. Good luck to all.

8. iwonagain

Rodney: Allow me to suggest to you this simple recipe, which conserves the taste of the morel and is easy to make for a group (in contrast to frying them which pretty much annihilates everything - including their vitamins and minerals):

http://arizona-mushrooms.org/2014/05/20/swiss-recipe-vegetable-cream-soup-morels/

In addition to cabbage and carrots, I'd strongly advocate adding potatoes and asparagus to the mix.

9. shroomcuttin

shroomcuttin Morel Enthusiast

Thanks Buckshot and good luck to you my friend.

10. iwonagain

Went for a 1h30 hunt after work and the result was rather below my expectations:

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/morel101/IMG_7292_zpsy8t1qbgy.jpg

Went to a few easy spots and except for 1 all the other were dry with no sign of morels at all. The woods felt also generally dry - even under the leaves. Most babies I left behind did not grow much except for these in the photos. Looks like the rains last Wed only triggered a few isolated spots here and there. Conclusions: we definitely need more moisture. Storms are currently firing in W OK and, hopefully, those will merge and move to Central OK overnight ! Only then we will be in business-

11. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

29 keepers today, left 1 or so that were to small. Gotta agree with you iwon did seem dry, and all but 2 were on the west side of a creek and most down near the water id say probably no more than 10 feet.
    [​IMG]

Heres an image that shows how close to the water.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  12. deepforkmorelchef

deepforkmorelchef Morel Enthusiast

So I found a huge cluster of what we think to be oyster mushrooms has anyone else found these in Oklahoma? And is anyone going hunting tomorrow that would wanna take me along! Single dad with 3 kids and my cars brokedown! Hard to get to the woods!

13. cowboycarnival

cowboycarnival Morel Enthusiast

I would morel chef but I had to head back to tn today . Good luck hunting everybody . Sorry to hear about the loss of your father Rodney . We were in Oklahoma celebrating the life of my grandfather and putting him to rest so I understand that .new to this forum but it's good to meet everyone. Hope Oklahoma sees some rain the small ones I found looked to be drying out in spots ?!

14. lilpnkbnny

lilpnkbnny Morel Enthusiast

FINALLY!!!things aren't exactly popping, but I found 55 at one dead tree. I can live with that :-D

15. okbob

okbob Morel Enthusiast

We missed out on the rain!!!

16. horseapple

horseapple Morel Enthusiast

Found 30 grays yesterday east of ada. We got .08 inches of rain, that should help.

17. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Got alittle over 3/4 of an inch, so good rain, think ill give today a break and check again tomorrow. Seen Bowlegs got a whopping 5.85 inches 8-O , a lot of morel spots probably under water up there.

18. iwonagain

Yep - a large supercell pretty much sat over the site for several hours. Not good - My predictions for the mergers of the W OK storms verified :) - Most of my spots received decent rains. There will be a noticeable cool down on the week end, which will allow the moisture to remain in the soil longer. Days like yesterday in the mid 80's are no good as morels cease to grow if the soil is too warm - The 'fruiting' can also stop prematurely if the soil remains too warm for a long period. Last year I start finding my bigger hauls near April 8th - so looks like this year will be a similar, rather late start of things despite a much milder and wetter winter..mmmh. So far I gathered ~ 40 morels and am waiting on 31 to grow. Can't wait for Sunday-

19. purple_spore

purple_spore Morel Enthusiast

Yep I'm near bowlegs and wewoka and we got nearly 7 inches news 9 said. Mesonet only shows 5.85 though. Sure is wet out. No flooding at my house but I sure hope it helps them along I'm not seeing anything. But I have only looked in my back yard, which is highly wooded. Thats where I found about 10 pounds I would guess last year. It also has a creek and many cottonwoods and dying elms. Along with every tree you can imagine. A few pecans tree are nearly, if I was guessing, 8 feet in diameter maybe more. I think they're old growth but I have no idea. But they are sure the biggest I've ever seen. I'll take a pic one day maybe you guys could tell me things I don't know.

20. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

finally found quite a few small morels coming up in the cedar/cottonwood mixes in pontotoc co. with the moisture should be looking good for weekend hunts. still haven't found much around elm or ash but will know more at the end of today!