Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 4, 2015.

1. sjones

sjones Young Morel

Where do you decide to look? Near creeks, certain trees etc?

2. shroombandit63

shroombandit63 Morel Enthusiast

Iwonagain, recently you mentioned using google earth to look for places to hunt, based on moisture and other factors. Could you post the steps on how to utilize this method, as I'm trying to watch some of my current spots and would like to use this tool in order to better manage my already too few days off to prioritize which spots to look at first. Thanks for your help!

3. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Shroombandit63: It is not Google Earth but Google Map with satellite view (lower left corner icon to click). Then just zoom in (lower right corner) and find your promising spots based on tree canopy and the regular (non satellite) maps of creeks/rivers. Note that the street view (little yellow man) can be used to ID the trees on the side of the road. Enjoy-

4. iwonagain

PS: in Google Maps there is also a new option on the lower left corner: If there are enough roads in the area you are viewing on the map: you can actually play pac-man ;) -

5. shroombandit63

Thanks Iwonagain, I think I have figured out how to utilize this tool. I'm thinking by the weekend I will need to go early and stay late as all the places I've looked at picked out of in the past were really dry. This moisture should get things going with a bang!

6. rodneyp64

rodneyp64 Morel Enthusiast

Deepforkmorelchef call 785-741-0909 I might be able to help. Thanks Cowboy bet you put a smile on grandpa

7. johzsum

johzsum Morel Enthusiast

Found my first morel a few minutes South of Ada today. It was about the size of quarter around and maybe two inches tall, stem and all. A lot of different types of mushrooms have popped up in the last 48 hours, seen some white and brown regular shaped shrooms, false morels, and some weird cup shape dark brown type. Expect to see many more around this area this weekend.

8. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

just got back from hunting some of the best looking morel land i've ever seen down in johnston county, only there wasn't many morels. lots and lots of old and dying elms and only found about four morels under them. then hit some cedars close by and found three or four lbs in about thirty minutes. also hit and elm/ash spot and only found about ten. still seems like things still haven't really got going down here.

9. iwonagain

Today's bounty exploring a new spot - about 50 morels - few of these were quite large. Consistent with what many folks reported this year is indeed strange - they are found usually in large groups in very specific places (either under cedar groves mixed in with other carrier trees or moister north facing slopes) - clearly some of these were triggered by the new rains:
    http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/morel101/Screen%20shot%202015-04-01%20at%207.49.30%20PM_zpsny4gbmaj.png

10. mmmszz

mmmszz Morel Enthusiast

I have been walking out to my favorite spots on my own land every day this week (Pink) and FINALLY today I found 2 small grays. The yellows are usually a week or so behind the grays around here. We had a ton of rain last night, so I expect they will really start popping by this weekend! The eternal optimist.

11. vc

vc Morel Connoisseur

4.8 Lbs.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/VCoo71/001_zpsj5omro4s.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/VCoo71/014_zpsvrsa8yuo.jpg

12. cowboycarnival

cowboycarnival Morel Enthusiast

Yeah buddy ! Back in tn going out to look in the morning hope I get lucky . Checking out a few new spots. We will have to get out Yall next time I'm in .

13. 8balljana

8balljana Morel Enthusiast

where do you live? I can go I can come pick you up on Friday probably if you live near Oklahoma City

14. lifelong_morelman

lifelong_morelman Morel Enthusiast

I've always made sure to use mesh bags so the spores can escape as I'm still walking through the woods... I've always understood this to be normal procedure for morel hunting... am I wrong?

15. iwonagain

Went for a quick hunt this morning and the result is 50 more morels - including 10 large yellows. I could not believe it when I saw these gorgeous yellow caps in the woods ! All around one live elm.
    http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/morel101/c528dedf-8822-4d08-82e5-7e5cd56d8804_zpsnclfb2vr.jpg
    http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/morel101/photo%203_zpspan0womh.jpg

16. morelbooster

morelbooster Morel Enthusiast

Finally found a small batch. 24 yellows, all along a small creek spread out over about a 40 yard stretch. It was in mixed woods with some ash, sycamore, elm, and oak. Found in the Fittstown area south of Ada. Looks like they could be coming on strong here any day now.....

17. shroombandit63

Found just a few close to home before work today.

18. purple_spore

purple_spore Morel Enthusiast

Still nothing in my neck of seminole county.

Sorry to go of topic, but here's that pecan tree I was talking about yesterday, though no one seemed interested. And no one has actually even responded to anything I've ever said, I find it interesting, and maybe you guys have seen bigger!

It's actually 11ft 4in in diameter, I was way off with 8 ft lol.

[​IMG]

Here's my marlin 60 next to it.

[​IMG]

It's dropped limbs bigger then some trees....

[​IMG]

And just to show you guys I'm not just here to talk about lame pecan trees, here's a pic that I promised last year and never posted it. Here's a few of my backyard morels. I found a double morel but I can't find the damn pic.

[​IMG]

They need to hurry up! I'm dying!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  19. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

that is a very large pecan tree indeed. i'm surprised by the size of trees i've come across morel hunting in oklahoma. pretty sure i've come across one of the largest hackberry and sycamores on public land.

20. ssforager

ssforager Morel Enthusiast

Hey Purple,
    I know the feeling of no one comments, replies to your posts. Only my second post but this is a tight group that does not welcome newcomers much, etc. I posted my county so people would know where in OK I found my morels but only some do that. It does help to know if you should expect to see stuff in the woods in certain counties, yet, etc.
    Anyway cool pecan tree. If you find an elm tree that big you might be on some morels.
    I have only found 4 more since my first six but I am watching some grow from just out of the ground yesterday to probably picking them for supper tomorrow. Thanks to all on this board for their knowledge the past two years. I have figured these things out after a blank first year in the drought years a couple of years ago. At first I thought it was a myth or impossible to find type of mushroom. Now I dry them out to last the year, etc after I eat my fill.