Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 4, 2015.

1. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

purple, no native pecans up here in N. Mo. but that is a monster. I get into big old growth forest. Very few areas left anymore more that have not been cut. Used to be lots of elm like that up until the 70's.

2. vc

vc Morel Connoisseur

12 lbs for today!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/VCoo71/001_zpsbkddmc9r.jpg

3. ricomorelo

ricomorelo Morel Enthusiast

Wow VC nice haul man. You always seem to bring in some good loads. I might have to scroll back thru the old post to see if i can remember what county you hunt this time of the year??? I searched all over Garfield and Logan county yesterday and not a single one. I don't think i was far enough South yet... Everything i saw was really dry, looking like Ks. I pray we get rain soon, or there wont be much of a season again in central Ks. Good luck to everyone this year. Hope all of us find huge sack fulls.. Be safe..

4. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

This afternoon;'s bounty: 150 morels (+ another ~ 50 not shown in this pic as they were given away to a friend before we arrived home) - total for the day 250 morels :) - (more than 10lbs total for sure):
    http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/morel101/IMG_7304_zpsad6ro9xf.jpg

5. iwonagain

Best cluster of the day:
    http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/morel101/Screen%20shot%202015-04-02%20at%209.42.28%20PM_zps0nl1didv.png

6. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

25 morels between 3 of us and many miles walked :lol: Looks like its gonna be another one of those years for me, did leave some little ones behind.

7. ksmorelhunter

ksmorelhunter Morel Enthusiast

Very nice pics iwonagain! What part of the state are you having luck in as those are beautiful morels.

8. ssforager

ssforager Morel Enthusiast

lwon: Very nice cluster shot. That is why we walk the acres - to find that kind of aah haa moment. I will try to take and post some pics of my harvest tomorrow morning. Might have to use a flash as I plan to be early.

9. iwonagain

Thanks guys :) - I found those in Central OK (near OKC). Believe it or not there were many stumps when we arrived so someone has been scouting the area before we did (but obviously did not look well enough ;) or either came before the rains on Tue). Tomorrow I'll take a break and perhaps look around some easy spots along the road. The most beautiful morel I found today was actually this morning (and was as large as my hand):
    http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/morel101/Screen%20shot%202015-04-02%20at%2010.40.39%20PM_zpsb9o8ukto.png

10. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

sleep ksmorelhunter and chase the rains where when you wake up, Spoken has Yoda.

11. cowboycarnival

cowboycarnival Morel Enthusiast

Rodney hope you and the family is doing better. We had a rough go with grandpa but made it back to Nashville yesterday . I just got word my friend found about 40 blondes in Pawnee ok. Yesterday. I'll be back down April 27th hope season will still be in ?! Morelchef let me know how the hunt goes and if ya need a ride next time I'm in we can roll to a few spots.

12. 8balljana

8balljana Morel Enthusiast

Iowanagain will you share where you hunt okc area? I'd like to go but can't get anyone to go with me and ready don't think it's safe for woman to go out alone

13. iwonagain

8balljana: It is a private property where at least another person hunts in every single year. I've scouted some of my other spots and most are totally dry with no signs of morels. This year has been very strange so far: Lots of areas that produced abundant crops the last 2 years have few isolated specimens while spots that did not produce much the last 2 years have clusters. I am partly blaming these 80+ degree days we had. I am hoping that we are still early in the season and that the rains next week will materialize. On Sunday, I will go hunt on 2 other private properties (that usually produce) with a friend and will see. After that, all my best spots will have been exhausted; Thus there is no spots left for me to share but new ones to explore. I hear you about the safety problem foraging here in OK (wild hogs, feral or aggressive dogs, hunters etc) and usually go accompanied in these private spots - Last year I start finding them on April 7-8th and the year before even later than that (April 12th) so who knows what this year will bring.

14. oldguy

oldguy Morel Enthusiast

found about 40 yellows this morning, same place I found 15 greys last weekend, in OKC proper

15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

old guy has most likely answered your question Iwonagian as the greys from last week become yellows. By the way what kind of tree produced those nice yellows? I see oak leaves on the ground,I think. But Oak rarely is good.

16. iwonagain

The cluster was indeed under a cedar patch along a trail. There were some black jack oaks on the other side of the trail (where indeed no morels were found) - Thus, I assume the wind must have tucked those leaves under the cedars.

17. giraffe123

giraffe123 Young Morel

The current posts & pictures are a very good sign! Happy hunting everyone :)

18. 8balljana

8balljana Morel Enthusiast

Iwonagain: thanks I think I'll see if my sister wants to go we used to go hunt out in western oklahoma off the Canadian river past El Reno

19. lifelong_morelman

lifelong_morelman Morel Enthusiast

Got out for about an hour this morning and checked my known good spot. 1st year I picked there I found 75+ shrooms, then the next year I only found 17, then last year I found 20ish, and today I only found 13... Wish we would have another year like the first year I picked in that spot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I always find a good handful right near the base of this tree. What kind of tree is it?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  20. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Looks like an American Elm to me.