Oklahoma Message Board 2015

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 4, 2015.

1. benthegrate

benthegrate Morel Connoisseur

Drove up from Dallas to check my OKC area spot yesterday. The ash trees there reliably produce 3-4 pounds every year. I only found a total of 13 yellows, all were on the smaller side with short stems that barely rose them above the leaf litter. They were firm and fresh, seemed like no more than a day or two old, dripped water when I picked them, but looked half dried out at the same time. Bizarre.

[​IMG]

As many folks have been saying, it's a weird year. Trees that normally produce 10 big morels had none. Small, young ash trees had 3 or 4. The ground was VERY damp, fully shaded, conditions were perfect. (However, last year the ground was bone dry and the trees produced like crazy.)

[​IMG]

While deep in the woods, I stumbled across a heron rookery! I counted at least 10 nests, but the birds were obviously disturbed by my slogging far below on the forest floor, so I high tailed it out of there as quickly as possible to let them be. I've never seen anything like it, though, those giant birds swooping around from nest to nest.

On my way back to the car, I encountered a giant downed oak that was absolutely overloaded with giant lentinus lepideus!!

[​IMG]

This relative of the shiitake grows bigger than any mushroom I've seen in this area, has a really pungent, fragrant odor, and is delicious! I seem to find it more often than any other wild mushroom...it's not supposed to be that common, I guess my nose just leads me to them. I harvested more than 15 pounds and didn't even take half of what was there. This is gonna make a great soup for my restaurant.

[​IMG]

With a few hours to burn before sunset, I checked out a spot on the South Canadian River that is privately owned but allows public access with a small fee. Tons of cottonwoods, both living and downed. Lots of disturbed ground. Almost immediately out of my car, I was stepping on big gyromitras...first time I've ever found them, actually.

[​IMG]

They were everywhere! Deep shade about 100 feet from the river. I searched carefully for a couple of hours, but no morels.

Leads me to ask this question...could we still be early in the season for central OK? I know the regulars are hauling them in by the pounds, but my OKC spot produced so poorly despite being VERY damp, and the gyromitras usually precede the morels by a week or so. Wondering if I should head back up there in a week or so to see if my spot produces the way it normally does, and hunt along the Canadian again when the ground is warmer...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

very weird year. my spots on the south canadian that i picked 25 lbs at last year had only about a lb. all my other regular spots have produced very little to years past or nothing at all. i think i need new hunting ground.

3. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Today's bounty: another 150 fresh morels (+ 25 not shown in this pic that were given away) - most of the large ones were found in a burn area around dead elms:
    http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/morel101/CIMG9099_zps1cogryj4.jpg
    Best cluster of the day:
    http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/morel101/Screen%20shot%202015-04-04%20at%207.56.49%20PM_zpsnrxukvzj.png

4. filtalr

filtalr Morel Enthusiast

Iwonagain - we are green with envy here. Very nice haul there. We went again today and only found three smallish yellows in MWC in the area of the same tree that we found a half dozen on Friday afternoon.

We hunted thru some areas that looked like there shoulda been plenty ... but nuttin at all. We were only out a couple of hours -- I didn't want to stay out tooo long because my young son was getting discouraged and tired. If we were finding some I'm sure he would have wanted to stay longer .. but coming up dry was discouraging. But after I showed him the pics of your haul today he's ready to go again tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Got 101 keepers today, from tiny Greg's to good size yellow. Having some difficulties so ill upload the pics tomorrow.

Nate/Luke y'all been finding any? Haven't seen y'all post much.

6. lifelong_morelman

lifelong_morelman Morel Enthusiast

Went and searched two of my best spots today... last year spot 1 produced 80+ morels and last year spot 2 produced 30+... neither spot had a single mushroom today. I know we aren't late because there weren't any old dried up ones, just nothing at all... very weird year.

7. purple_spore

purple_spore Morel Enthusiast

Iwonagain, oh, thats a palm tree on your towel or something lol. I thought you had some yarrow on the bottom haha. really though what is that?

picked my two greys today.... Don't think they'll get any bigger.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  8. morelbooster

morelbooster Morel Enthusiast

37 yellows yesterday, mostly sporadically spread down a creek bank in Johnston county. Nothing I'd consider a cluster, or close to one though. Looking for that magic elm with the motherlode still. Looked for a couple hours today in another spot in Johnston county, no luck, then wife spotted 6 from truck in an area of limestone gravel with the exception for some leaf litter (which was elm) in Pontotoc county. Her first find, now she thinks it's easy. Strange spot to find them, but they were all nice fresh yellows. Need to get a flickr account or something started I guess so I can post a few pics.

Nice finds guys. I feel I'm in prime morel country down here in Pontotoc and Johnston counties, but you guys around the city are proving me wrong. Very impressive.

9. lilpnkbnny

lilpnkbnny Morel Enthusiast

Found enough to make the household happy, give some to my boss, and dropped some off for my sister in law to get to try a batch for the first time. I finally feel like it's mushroom season. :lol:

10. lilpnkbnny

lilpnkbnny Morel Enthusiast

And I still have 40 in the fridge to eat tomorrow *happy dance*

11. vc

vc Morel Connoisseur

19 lbs sold yesterday.....10 lbs picked today!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/VCoo71/001_zpsecc2a8bc.jpg

12. ricomorelo

ricomorelo Morel Enthusiast

Iwonagain
    those are some beauties... are you still hunting around Ponotoc Co?

13. vc

vc Morel Connoisseur

someone say clusters?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/VCoo71/11139511_630470217087922_799536496_n_zpsogq2pojn.jpg

14. purple_spore

purple_spore Morel Enthusiast

That is a sight to behold.

15. cowboycarnival

cowboycarnival Morel Enthusiast

VC are you hunting in southern oklahoma ?

16. 8balljana

8balljana Morel Enthusiast

Vc and or iwonagain, I would be willing to buy some from you since I don't want hunt by myself

17. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

8balljana: Unfortunately I do not sell my morels - I still have ways to go before I can satisfy some friends/colleagues and family members with their own shares. VC would be more than happy to sell them to you though-Today I'll be heading to my last productive spot but I am not optimistic - the last 2 days have been really a game of luck as most of my usual spots did not produce much: On each day I end up stumbling on a new spot on the way that ended up producing many (yesterday was a small burn area with 6 recently killed elms and the day before a medium sized cedar patch on the side of the road.) Go figure !

18. rockchalk89

rockchalk89 Young Morel

I have only found 2 small yellows up here near Tulsa. Anyone finding them in NW OK? Guessing even if you are, they are not plentiful...sigh.

19. tickseed

tickseed Morel Enthusiast

Does anybody know if crosstimber habitat produces morels?

The crosstimbers are the native scrubby forest found mostly in OK.
    Because of the scrubbiness, they held little timber value allowing
    some of it to miraculously survive today as a unique type of old-growth forest.

I wanna do a little hiking in some of this habitat and it would be great to also find some shrooms too.

20. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

The cross Timbers are where all but 1 of my shrooming spots are, and all the shrooms iv found in the past years have been in the cross tembers