Oklahoma Message Board 2016

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by nate, Jan 2, 2016.

1. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Happy New Year!! I can't wait for the warm weather. Until then I guess we will have to settle with heating up the message boards!!! What's new people?

2. jimmy dann

jimmy dann Young Morel

Happy New Year Nate. Also looking forward to the warm weather. We wont see shrooms for about a month after you guys but ill be watching this state like i did last year. You guys had a killer year and i hope you do again, also hoping we have one like that soon.

3. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Iwonagain, our 5th and 8th grade took a class trip to the National Weather Center in Norman yesterday. I didn't know how to get ahold of you or I would have said hi. I think my son goes there Thursday when our 6th and 7th grade visit. Pretty cool place!!

4. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Hello all and good to see you back Nate, hope you and the family is all doing well.
    I've been wondering With all the rain we had in 2015 (over 80in in quite a few spots) and all the flooding how do y'all think it will make this years shrooms pop? More? Less? Closes year I could think of maybe like '08 after all the rain in '07 ?

5. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

I'm trying to remember for sure, but that 2007 may be the year I took a pic in the bathtub because I had so many shrooms. I think one day I found 67 lbs that year, and a few other days I had 40 plus. First time I ever found so many that I sold some.

6. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

I can't wait for warm weather! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  7. santa shroom

santa shroom Morel Enthusiast

8. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Howdy y'all and Happy New/Shroom Year 2016 !
    Nate: Sorry to see your message so late, but I was traveling in Patagonia (Chile/Argentina) hiking the many glaciers in a surreal landscape. Just returned home today :) - If you/your classes plan on visiting NWC in the near future, just let me know (afierro@ou.edu) and I'll be very happy to meet with them/you and answer some critical questions [on topics related to either shrooms or weather] ! ;)

9. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

That one was a 70 lber. The biggest I caught last summer was a 77. That's funny though the first time I read your message bill...."How big Nate", I read it as how, big Nate...as if you were telling me hello, but when I logged back on I realized how ridiculous I was being. I must have been in a hurry. LOL and that sounds good Iwon. It was a cool place.

10. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Good to see y'all back again to Santa, and Iwon. And I was thinking along the same line as you Nate I think the spring of '08 was the year I was haulin'em out by the buck loads but not sure since I can't find my records from 2010 back.
    Must say this touch of spring weather as got me ready for this year.

11. shroomhigh

shroomhigh Morel Enthusiast

Sup guys i cant wait for that first hunt and all after!! Ive been on this sight for about five years now and im glad its back end strong!!

12. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

It's getting closer! I see some of the first Morels of the season were found in southern California!!! Even though there landscape Morels it is still exciting!! Plus the groundhog says it's going to be an early spring. I can't wait to find out if he's right!!

13. iwonagain

The current strong positive phase of ENSO (known as El Nino), would indeed be consistent with an early season ! For those who do not mind the drive, I wouldn't be surprised that some areas near El Reno/West OKC, which were hit badly by an ice storm ~3 months ago could produce large flushes (lots of trees were stressed by the ice). Okie Shroom Hunter: RE the flooding rains we had in April/May: From what I have seen, low lying areas that remain flooded for quite a while usually won't produce anymore for several years, but this will be compensated by other areas (slightly higher terrain) producing higher quantities than usual courtesy of those rains- Can't wait !!

14. santa shroom

santa shroom Morel Enthusiast

I see some articles on how this is going to be a banner year. This one is interesting.

http://griffinsguide.com/content/2015/04/06/this-year-may-be-the-biggest-morel-mushroom-harvest-in-the-history-of-the-world-pics/

15. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Lol Santa this is 2016. That article is from last year it looks like, but you are right. I have read several different places predicting,....(or at least hoping) that this will be one of the best years in recent years.

16. missourishroommate

missourishroommate Morel Connoisseur

Hey folks, good afternoon to you all! I too am starting to get the fever looking at Texas weather. Hope to run into some of you again this year!!

Good luck ShroomMates!
    Mitch

17. ricomorelo

ricomorelo Morel Enthusiast

Oh yeah those Tx soil temps are almost there shroomate. I can't wait, I think it will be a good year for the midwest. Good luck to everyone this year and be safe...

18. iwonagain

Nice to hear from you MSM and Ricomorelo!
    Nate: A quick question: Throughout all the years (10 or 15?) you've been foraging morels in OK, on what day did you document your earliest find (in terms of 'mature' 3-4 inch size morels) ?
    Seasonal outlook for the next 30 days hints at average temps and slightly wetter weather:
    http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/
    Thou shall see if this verifies, however.

19. lilpnkbnny

lilpnkbnny Morel Enthusiast

I see I'm not the only one getting antsy. The weather is near perfect down here in southern OK. Just need the night to warm a little. I'm ready!

20. livewire

livewire Morel Enthusiast

Nate I'm predicting you as the first find in Okie.