Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Oklahoma Message Board 2016

28K views 273 replies 56 participants last post by  Okmorels024 
#1 ·
Happy New Year!! I can't wait for the warm weather. Until then I guess we will have to settle with heating up the message boards!!! What's new people?

#3 ·
Iwonagain, our 5th and 8th grade took a class trip to the National Weather Center in Norman yesterday. I didn't know how to get ahold of you or I would have said hi. I think my son goes there Thursday when our 6th and 7th grade visit. Pretty cool place!!

#4 ·
Hello all and good to see you back Nate, hope you and the family is all doing well.
I've been wondering With all the rain we had in 2015 (over 80in in quite a few spots) and all the flooding how do y'all think it will make this years shrooms pop? More? Less? Closes year I could think of maybe like '08 after all the rain in '07 ?

#5 ·
I'm trying to remember for sure, but that 2007 may be the year I took a pic in the bathtub because I had so many shrooms. I think one day I found 67 lbs that year, and a few other days I had 40 plus. First time I ever found so many that I sold some.

#8 ·
Howdy y'all and Happy New/Shroom Year 2016 !
Nate: Sorry to see your message so late, but I was traveling in Patagonia (Chile/Argentina) hiking the many glaciers in a surreal landscape. Just returned home today :) - If you/your classes plan on visiting NWC in the near future, just let me know (afierro@ou.edu) and I'll be very happy to meet with them/you and answer some critical questions [on topics related to either shrooms or weather] ! ;)

#9 ·
That one was a 70 lber. The biggest I caught last summer was a 77. That's funny though the first time I read your message bill...."How big Nate", I read it as how, big Nate...as if you were telling me hello, but when I logged back on I realized how ridiculous I was being. I must have been in a hurry. LOL and that sounds good Iwon. It was a cool place.

#12 ·
It's getting closer! I see some of the first Morels of the season were found in southern California!!! Even though there landscape Morels it is still exciting!! Plus the groundhog says it's going to be an early spring. I can't wait to find out if he's right!!

#13 ·
The current strong positive phase of ENSO (known as El Nino), would indeed be consistent with an early season ! For those who do not mind the drive, I wouldn't be surprised that some areas near El Reno/West OKC, which were hit badly by an ice storm ~3 months ago could produce large flushes (lots of trees were stressed by the ice). Okie Shroom Hunter: RE the flooding rains we had in April/May: From what I have seen, low lying areas that remain flooded for quite a while usually won't produce anymore for several years, but this will be compensated by other areas (slightly higher terrain) producing higher quantities than usual courtesy of those rains- Can't wait !!

#18 ·
Nice to hear from you MSM and Ricomorelo!
Nate: A quick question: Throughout all the years (10 or 15?) you've been foraging morels in OK, on what day did you document your earliest find (in terms of 'mature' 3-4 inch size morels) ?
Seasonal outlook for the next 30 days hints at average temps and slightly wetter weather:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/
Thou shall see if this verifies, however.

#23 ·
Here is a list of my first finds the past few years... I would have to do some digging to find my older logs, but they were all pretty much between March 20th and March 30 before 2010

2008-March 31
2011-March 17
2012-March 7
2013-March 16
2014-March 26
2015-March 20

#24 ·
Thanks for sharing this info Nate - There is a rather notable spread (24 days) in just those 6 years of data. Quite interesting. I'll unfortunately be out of town for work in early March (until the 17th) - I just hope that the morels will wait for me ! :) Cheers and thanks again for sharing this interesting piece of info.

#26 ·
Mitch, pnkbnny, livewire. Good to hear from y'all again, quite a few trees here in Pontotoc County are starting to wake up the maples in the yard are blooming, elms, Bradford pears and a few others are budding, daffodils are in bloom and honey bees are out. Don't see any redbuds waking up yet. So still a little ways off.

I've only been morel hunting since around 04/05 so I Don't by any means consider myself an expert or veteran, and never will cause there's always things to learn bout em ( ol mans been picking em for 60 something years and last year or yer before was the first he's found a red) So now for my question how have first year clear cut spots ( with still a few pockets of trees) produced for y'all in the past? Has been a great morel producing spot in the past so was disappointed to see some loggers have been there, but thought maybe the stress on the trees and land ( kinda like ice storm or tornado) might make a pretty good flush. Not sure though since I've never hunted a spot like that. So would like to hear y'all experiences with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.