Oklahoma Message Board 2017

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 2, 2017.

1. sapworm7979

sapworm7979 Morel Connoisseur

Everyone knows what buck brush is. It is the little knee high bush that greens up before the trees. It has little red berries on it.

2. sapworm7979

been seeing some pretty nice fresh ones on facebook. A lot from OK.

3. morchellica2.0

morchellica2.0 Morel Enthusiast

have you been finding any??? they're big and nice this season. perfect growing weather

4. Shagbarkhick

Shagbarkhick Young Morel

And should have been the first thing talked about in the video. The first shot of the video should have been that big elm stump with his chainsaw sitting on it, yet, he never said a word about it.
    He was too busy getting two tablespoons of ashes from his fireplace and POW! Morels!:D

Traditional/primitive/wilderness skills is my passion, and everything I know about it, I owe to someone who was gracious enough to share their knowledge. Much of what Iv'e learned about morels came from you fellas right here on this board and I'm grateful for it. With teaching though, comes responsibility, the responsibility of honesty. Honesty = good. Forgetting to mention giant elm stumps = not so much.;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. sapworm7979

Only got to go once but did good lots of three inch fresh ones

6. Shagbarkhick

Shagbarkhick Young Morel

I'm right there with ya, Catscratch.
    I'm trying something new this year and it's gonna work this time!:rolleyes:

That's crazy(to me) that the walnut you killed produced all those morels. I've never bothered looking under them because their roots have a poisonous effect to other plants. Since morels aren't plants, I guess they are unaffected?

7. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

[​IMG]

Found a good flush 61 under 2 elms and a cedar. 63 total Oklahoma County.

3 people like this.
  8. Catscratch

Catscratch Morel Enthusiast

It's the only Walnut I've ever found them under. The chemical in Walnut that kills plant competition is called juglone and I know that it affects most plants but not all, I have no idea if it affects fungi.

I find a lot under dieing Cottonwoods and healthy Sycamores too. I haven't found one under an Elm for a long time...

If what you try this yr works let me know ;)

9. Catscratch

Catscratch Morel Enthusiast

It's the only Walnut I've ever found them under. The chemical in Walnut that kills plant competition is called juglone and I know that it affects most plants but not all, I have no idea if it affects fungi.

I find a lot under dieing Cottonwoods and healthy Sycamores too. I haven't found one under an Elm for a long time...

If what you try this yr works let me know ;)

Shagbarkhick likes this.
  10. Shagbarkhick

Shagbarkhick Young Morel

Come to my neck of the woods and you'll never find another. These posts of dead elms with carpets of morels under them are like looking at pictures of unicorns for me.
    The only "predictable" morels to be found in Sequoyah County are under one species of tree, in one area of the county and that tree most certainly isn't elm, or cedar for that matter. Other than that, it's pretty tough sledding here.
    I'm thankful to have some to hunt though.

11. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Finally feeling better so will probably give tomorrow a try, good seeing all the pics of everyone's finds, Nate have you found any in any counties south of I40 lately ?

1 person likes this.
  12. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Okie: Glad you are feeling better ! Believe it or not I am still finding some freshies. About a handful (5-10) a day and about the same amount that are past. You know the motto: No shrooms shall be left behind ! ;)

1 person likes this.
  13. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

Picked 18 fresh ones yesterday but found alot of dry ones. Going to do some looking this weekend.

1 person likes this.
  14. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

My brother and I found 18 fresh ones last evening before dark. Also 6-8 that were past. Oklahoma County. Still nothing under my sycamores or cedars. That has me somewhat perplexed. My count is 340 for the season which is already ahead of last years dismal total but not near 2016 totals.
    Anybody heard anything from the western side of the state? I am planning to hunt in Dewey County either Sunday or Monday.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  15. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

I have a similar total for this year. Last year was near 400 and 2014/2015 I gathered near 2300/2500 morels, respectively. Quite a stark difference ! My most faithful spots this year produced nearly nothing so most (70%) of my morels came from new spots west of I-35....I'll give it a try further north this w-e as well. Good luck to y'all

1 person likes this.
  16. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

I have 320 rango going for 400. This year is alot better than last but i am way down from normal. I never get to 2000 but most yeas do 700 to 1000.

1 person likes this.
  17. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

[​IMG]

So I tried to post this pic Tuesday nite without success. So here it is. This is the flush of 61 in one spot. 2 small elms with a cedar beside them. Several morels well outside the drip edge of any of the trees. I like these "Ray Charles" finds, lol.

1 person likes this.
  18. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

LOL, I did not know why the times on the post were always 5 hours off. I went to the edit preferences tab and found my time zone setting was American Somoa instead of American Central. I think maybe I am starting to like this this new site format and look a bit now. Now if I can figure out why my pics are so big?

19. rogo50

rogo50 Young Morel

Well, nothing yet, but wondering if I am looking in wrong areas.....used to live in west Oklahoma abd always found some near river....now live in south central Oklahoma and been looking along creek bed banks but nada....any insight?

20. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

[​IMG]

We found 28 this evening after work in Oklahoma County. A few more that were past.