Oklahoma Message Board 2017

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 2, 2017.

1. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

rogo50: I don't find as many close in the creek and river bottoms as I do in the 1st rise in elevation out of the bottom, if that makes sense to you. Sometimes the bottoms have tightly compacted soils and I find more morels in looser well drained soil usually on a slope so that water doesn't ever stand on it. The pic I posted earlier is probably 600 yards from the nearest creek. But this is what works for me. Something different may work for others. Like fishing or hunting, I find the pattern the game is using for the area I am in and then I use that pattern to be successful. Hunting morels is really no different.
    Hope this helps. Hang with it and good luck.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. creeper

creeper Young Morel

I'm next door, in Cherokee County. So far not a thing. Morels don't seem to grow well in rock.

3. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

Starting to see alot more dry ones now. Think i will try one more long hunt to see what i can find. It may be about over here around me.

4. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Nearly 100 morels today - most fresh :) ! Bringing my season total near 500. Payne county, Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 8.30.49 PM.png

4 people like this.
  5. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

Well my trip to Dewey county was non productive as far as morels go. We have a hunting lease there. We needed to fill the feeders, change batteries and swap out cards on our cameras. Bumped into a couple of locals who told us it was still a bit early for morels there. Sand plums still in bloom and most elm trees just starting to bud out. The soil temps have been running 7-9 degrees cooler than in Oklahoma County. So I will try again next week. We did slip over to the upper waters of Canton Lake and found the sand bass beginning their run, mostly males, mostly small, but did bring home a few, 19. "Enough to stink up some grease" as my grandfather used to say it.

1 person likes this.
  6. sapworm7979

sapworm7979 Morel Connoisseur

Quick hunt for supper. Just enough to go with these wild turkey oysters, All that is lef is ti skin and bread then fry.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. iwonagain

Found my largest morel ever today :D Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 9.56.31 PM.png

2 people like this.
  8. iwonagain

Today's finds Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 9.57.40 PM.png - North Central OK.

2 people like this.
  9. boone

boone Morel Connoisseur

Nice Iwon!

1 person likes this.
  10. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

[​IMG]

I went to one of my spots in Oklahoma County after work yesterday. Only found one fresh morel. Found about 30 that where fat stemmed and spored out, past, like this one. Looks like it's about over here. Disappointing because I never found any in my sycamores and very few around cedars but none under them. Strange year. I am making the trip back to Dewey County tomorrow in hopes that it will produce this year.

11. Ron lindsey

Ron lindsey Young Morel

Hey, I'm looking for someone to travel the country, following the rains. If interested contact me at [email protected]

12. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

[​IMG]

I had to meet my brother this evening after work to get some parts from him. Half way between our jobs is also one of our favorite spots for morels. He had asked me earlier if I thought the recent rains and cooler weather might bring forth more morels. I never say never but I had my reservations. When we met he decided to go for a walk and see if he could find anything. I had something to do and couldn't join him. So I gave him my 40% DEET, told him to send me pics and left as he was walking into the woods. About an hour later he sent me this pic! Found around the cedars which had not produced earlier as they have in past years. This is Oklhoma County. I have seen a few pics of fresh morel finds in the state on Facebook, including finds yesterday in Cleaveland County. What do you think? Is there going to be a second season here or is this just an anomaly that will get me another bad case of poison ivy, lol?

13. morchellica2.0

morchellica2.0 Morel Enthusiast

rango, that's pretty amazing! were they found under cedars?

14. iwonagain

I wouldn't believe it either until I went to the woods today. Nice fresh ones !...a bummer that tomorrow it will rain cats and dogs. Found mostly under thick cedar patches
    [there is a receipt I found on the curb with today's date as proof]
    Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 8.14.58 PM.png

1 person likes this.
  15. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

He said under and around cedars. He said there was a place he could see at least 2 more but he could not get to them without crawling through poison ivy so he left them. He gets it bad! He feels like there were probably more but it was pretty late and overcast and hard to see in the thick cedars. He did not have his clothing treated with Permethrin but he sprayed down with 40% DEET. He had 5 ticks when he got home. They are just horrible this year!

16. D. Tameny

D. Tameny Young Morel

Hi Ron - my name is Jimmy and I'm in Tulsa, looking for someone to follow the growth…..free schedule here……can go wherever and whenever … where are you and when were you planning the travel?

17. iwonagain

Found a handful yesterday -this being the nicest specimen. I wonder if the cool temperatures this week may trigger another small batch...A wacky morel season goes hand-in-hand with wacky weather for sure - IMG_6246.JPG

1 person likes this.
  18. iwonagain

Jackpot today ! Nearly 70 morels, most fresh :D. Cleveland county. All found under cedars.
    Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.36.00 PM.png

Catscratch and (deleted member) like this.
  19. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

iwonagain - I saw your FaceBook post. Very nice! I see in the comments people don't want to believe, but I do! I am not discounting anything this year. Truly whacky! I scooped up my shroomin clothes before I left the house so I can get out there after work.

Catscratch likes this.
  20. Catscratch

Catscratch Morel Enthusiast

When you find them under cedars; are you finding them in patches or just a single here and there? Are they healthy trees or sickly?