Oklahoma Message Board 2017

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by okie shroom hunter, Jan 2, 2017.

1. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

Nice finds, Nate and pacertom! Haven't found anything yet in my most reliable north hill country spot, so will probably hunt the state line this weekend. Good luck, all!

2. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

This would usually be the weekend I drive down to southern Oklahoma and walk miles and miles to only find a few. So I'm gonna restrain myself, save some money, and hit it serious this next weekend.

3. willydawg1

willydawg1 Young Morel

Nothing today. Tulsa county

4. sparky2453

sparky2453 Morel Enthusiast

Morchellica you might want to look again, found fifteen eaters today near home. near Tulsa,was very surprised to find them this early. maby after the rains this weekend I will find bushles.I don;t know how to picture them in this maby my wife will help later.

5. morchellica

No kidding???!! Sounds like one of those seasons where they come up en masse across the whole state. Definitely gonna be hitting the woods this weekend now!!!

6. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Found 7 in Pontotoc County this evening all in probably a 12 x 18 foot area, ranging in size from about 1/4in tall to 2 or 3 inches, defiantly gonna look some more tomorrow

PS they were on a south southeast slope

7. lurkinlizard

lurkinlizard Morel Enthusiast

Agree with Iwonagain...sooooo dry here in Central OK that I haven't been out to look at all yet. Excited to see that some of you are finding some already though! Good luck to all and pray for rain, or do the rain dance, or whatever it is you do! :)

8. seagle63

seagle63 Morel Enthusiast

I'm going south to Red River area tomorrow or Monday. Has anyone tried there yet?

Stevr

9. okie shroom hunter

Found one more on anouther spot in pontotoc county only bout 1/2 tall, next weekend should be great

10. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

I tried my luck further east near Shawnee exploring several new potential spots but did not see a thing; nature still is a good 2 weeks behind I'd say (relative to the morels that is). The best indicators for morels in OK isn't red buds in my view but baby red cedars showing their first light green growth clearly sticking out. Given that most of OK was *royally* skunked by the rains today and that next week will be somewhat cold and 'rainless', this should place the start of the "real" season somewhere around the 25th - aka near average. The sporadic finds here and there from most of the southern states are just anomalies due to microclimate aided by the recent warmer spell. Thou shall see and can't wait to have my first butter-sauteed morel-asparagus omelet ! :)

11. morchellica

Iwonagain, you can have your morel-asparagus omelets and white wine reduction sauces and i'l eat mine fried ;)

12. okie shroom hunter

I'll eat them anyone of those three ways :-D

13. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

I'll eat them anyone of those three ways as well. In fact, I have not found a way to eat them that I don't like. I enjoy them in alfredo sauce on fettuccine, sometimes with chicken or shrimp, sometimes just the morels. I found a crab stuffed morel recipe that I plan to try this year. I do find that baked or sautéed seems to retain more "morel" flavor than breaded and fried to my pallet.

14. iwonagain

Hahahaha. Deal Morchellica and Okie ;) ! I also like to make morel soups: Try out this recipe if you feel like it:
    http://arizona-mushrooms.org/2014/05/20/swiss-recipe-vegetable-cream-soup-morels/
    Sometime the best recipe is just sauteed in butter with home made bread.
    My scouting experience yesterday in the cold and drizzle in areas that received 0.5-1 inch of rain last Monday convinced me to save gas for the next 2 weeks ;) - I have 'markers' in my garden and none have met their respective criterion yet. I know it is will be a difficult task for the next ~ 2 weeks but I need to exercise patience.
    PS: Nice to hear back from you Lurkin' ! Wishing you a more fruitful season this year - Last one was well below average for everyone (I collected around 350 morels vs the average 2000-2500).

15. morchellica

Honestly, I like them every way I've tried them but just giving Iwonagain a hard time bc in seasons past I think I remember him saying something about not liking to fry them. Really, there is no bad way to eat a morel other than raw, which can make you sick. Had black morel stroganoff over egg noodles for my bday last summer and it was fantastic.

Just looked in my spots around the house and didn't see a thing. Good thing not much is up in the northern part of the state bc they'd be getting some serious frost nip this week.

16. sparky2453

sparky2453 Morel Enthusiast

Hello friends, Im having trouble logging A picture any ideas,

17. iwonagain

Thought I'd share this article here regarding ticks;
    http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/03/11/519518318/beyond-lyme-new-tick-borne-diseases-on-the-rise-in-u-s
    I was wondering if folks could give me a heads up whether DEET or Permethrin is more effective at repelling those little devils ? My best defense so far has been to use long sleeves and tuck everything possible in (socks, shirt, etc) followed by at least 2 daily thorough tick-checks at home.
    Sparky: Upload your pic to e.g. Photobucket, get the hyperlink of the photo and, then, copy and paste it here.

18. okie shroom hunter

Actually rained this morning for like 30mins 8-O just a steady like shower.

19. rango

rango Morel Enthusiast

I use DEET and Permethrin as a tag team so to speak. I apply Sawyer Permethrin to clothing and allow to dry for 4 hours before wearing them according to manufactures instructions. One application will last up to 42 days and remains effective through 6 washes. Then apply DEET around ankles, wrist, waist and neck before getting dressed. In the past, when I used DEET alone, I would find them crawling on my clothes when I got in the truck and find them crawling on me when I got home to the shower. Since I started treating my clothes with Permethrin, 2 years ago, I have not found one on my clothes or on me. Ticks are nasty little critters that have the potential to change your life and lifestyle. Any and every precaution is justified!

20. morchellica

A natural remedy is taking a shot of apple cider vinegar. Do this every morning for a week or two and ticks will not like how you taste and not bite you. Also, there was a time in my life where I was permanently stoned pretty for every waking hr, a few years on end. It's funny to note that I never had ticks bite me ever over the course of those years. Would go out with friends who didn't smoke and they would get covered in ticks and I would literally never have a single bite. Im starting the apple cider vinegar remedy again bc ticks love how I taste nowadays.