Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 618 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year dear fellow foragers; already counting the days before the new season starts ! - which hopefully will be more bountiful than the last 2 ones. This year we have a stronger-than-average La Nina signal, which may bring hotter and drier conditions over the SW-US but near average rainfall/temps over central OK. Thou shall see -

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mainly Ulmus Americana (American Elm), red cedars (later in the season), Cottonwoods and Ashes

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mainly Ulmus Americana (American Elm), red cedars (later in the season), Cottonwoods and Ashes
When we went to southwest Missouri (cassvile-Joplin area) and we could barely find and elms, we came down from Minnesota for a week and only found 9. Is northeast Oklahoma like that too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Minnesota is definitely one of the best morel territory in the US so it is hard to compare. There are plenty of American elms in NE OK, but these tend to grow in through / low lying areas owing to a more semi-arid climate-

·
Registered
333 Posts
Minnesota is definitely one of the best morel territory in the US so it is hard to compare. There are plenty of American elms in NE OK, but these tend to grow in through / low lying areas owing to a more semi-arid climate-
We always hunt hills and never hunt low lands

·
Registered
333 Posts
Best luck in mixed cedar cottonwood. Hands down I'm a believer. Watch the precipitation bands when they come through next week. Use mesonet.com
Cottonwoods seem to always do good too. Once we were at the Nebraska/Iowa border and found a cut down cottonwood field area and man were they everywhere. We walked out of there with 7-10 lbs we also met up with a guy and said yesterday he picked 30lbs in there. If we would have got there earlier we would have came out with 40-50lbs

·
Registered
261 Posts
Iwon and tommyjosh good to see y’all again this season!! Excited we’re getting all this rain hope it keeps a coming!! The temps the past few days have gotten me ready to go this year, it’ll be right around the corner ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hello friends, I haven't had a chance to be on the computer much this year, but you can bet that I am anxiously waiting for Morel season! I'm probably only about 2 weeks away from my first hunt... of course the first hunt usually is about a week or so too early, but still fun.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Iwon and tommyjosh good to see y’all again this season!! Excited we’re getting all this rain hope it keeps a coming!! The temps the past few days have gotten me ready to go this year, it’ll be right around the corner ;)
Yea the temps have been high but I see they are going down in the next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello friends, I haven't had a chance to be on the computer much this year, but you can bet that I am anxiously waiting for Morel season! I'm probably only about 2 weeks away from my first hunt... of course the first hunt usually is about a week or so too early, but still fun.
I am back. i had to start a new account its been that long on this site. love the rain, sleet, anything liquid cause it was tooo dry. im like a rookie hunter again on this site lol. so this year will be fun posting this season.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm getting chompy too. Had a great place in Edmond for them, but the last two years were disappointing, and now I've transplanted to Tulsa and am clueless about the local terrain...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am ready, got a lot of rain and now just need to slowly warm up. Hope to have a little better year then the last couple.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am back. i had to start a new account its been that long on this site. love the rain, sleet, anything liquid cause it was tooo dry. im like a rookie hunter again on this site lol. so this year will be fun posting this season.
Yeah Shroominator... the site has changed a little. Its still fun to use though. How did you end up doing last year?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice to hear from you all ! This well-needed rain came right on time to condition the morel sclerotia - I am pumped and ready :) - March appears to hold average rainfall this year - all we need is a good soaking by the 15th-25th and hopefully, we will have a bumper crop. I am curious to see if this prolonged drought we had this Winter stressed host trees enough to yield an above-average season across the state. Thou shall see !

1 - 20 of 618 Posts