Oklahoma Message Board 2018

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by iwonagain, Jan 29, 2018.

1. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Happy New Year dear fellow foragers; already counting the days before the new season starts ! - which hopefully will be more bountiful than the last 2 ones. This year we have a stronger-than-average La Nina signal, which may bring hotter and drier conditions over the SW-US but near average rainfall/temps over central OK. Thou shall see -

2. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

What trees do you look for down there

3. iwonagain

Mainly Ulmus Americana (American Elm), red cedars (later in the season), Cottonwoods and Ashes

4. tommyjosh

When we went to southwest Missouri (cassvile-Joplin area) and we could barely find and elms, we came down from Minnesota for a week and only found 9. Is northeast Oklahoma like that too.

5. iwonagain

Minnesota is definitely one of the best morel territory in the US so it is hard to compare. There are plenty of American elms in NE OK, but these tend to grow in through / low lying areas owing to a more semi-arid climate-

6. tommyjosh

We always hunt hills and never hunt low lands

7. djkernelpanic

djkernelpanic Morel Enthusiast

Best luck in mixed cedar cottonwood. Hands down I'm a believer. Watch the precipitation bands when they come through next week. Use mesonet.com

1 person likes this.
  8. tommyjosh

Cottonwoods seem to always do good too. Once we were at the Nebraska/Iowa border and found a cut down cottonwood field area and man were they everywhere. We walked out of there with 7-10 lbs we also met up with a guy and said yesterday he picked 30lbs in there. If we would have got there earlier we would have came out with 40-50lbs

Jeanna likes this.
  9. tommyjosh

Looking at the temps and man they are rising

10. okie shroom hunter

okie shroom hunter Morel Connoisseur

Iwon and tommyjosh good to see y’all again this season!! Excited we’re getting all this rain hope it keeps a coming!! The temps the past few days have gotten me ready to go this year, it’ll be right around the corner ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Hello friends, I haven't had a chance to be on the computer much this year, but you can bet that I am anxiously waiting for Morel season! I'm probably only about 2 weeks away from my first hunt... of course the first hunt usually is about a week or so too early, but still fun.

2 people like this.
  12. tommyjosh

Yea the temps have been high but I see they are going down in the next week.

13. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

Hey y’all! I believe these rains arrived just in the nic of time!

14. tommyjosh

It will definitely help on the season

15. shro0minat0r

shro0minat0r Young Morel

I am back. i had to start a new account its been that long on this site. love the rain, sleet, anything liquid cause it was tooo dry. im like a rookie hunter again on this site lol. so this year will be fun posting this season.

1 person likes this.
  16. JT_Hawk

JT_Hawk Young Morel

I'm getting chompy too. Had a great place in Edmond for them, but the last two years were disappointing, and now I've transplanted to Tulsa and am clueless about the local terrain...

1 person likes this.
  17. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

I am ready, got a lot of rain and now just need to slowly warm up. Hope to have a little better year then the last couple.

18. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Yeah Shroominator... the site has changed a little. Its still fun to use though. How did you end up doing last year?

19. iwonagain

Nice to hear from you all ! This well-needed rain came right on time to condition the morel sclerotia - I am pumped and ready :) - March appears to hold average rainfall this year - all we need is a good soaking by the 15th-25th and hopefully, we will have a bumper crop. I am curious to see if this prolonged drought we had this Winter stressed host trees enough to yield an above-average season across the state. Thou shall see !

20. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

I can’t remember the last time we’ve had such a good soaking in late winter. Things are setting up for a very good season!

MAdmin and (deleted member) like this.