Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

481 - 500 of 618 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
those are nice ones Deer man. What type of trees are you picking those on if you don't mind me asking? Looks like you got a buddy to hunt with there, I miss those days.

·
Registered
261 Posts
6151CD9B-3D39-4288-A00B-2514354AA1B0.jpeg
Finally felt decent and got time to head out and boy was I glad I did!!!
Finally found a decent motherlode!! Hauling them out in 5 gal bucket again! Most were all in one area got dark so didn’t get to check everywhere, left who knows how many older ones but picked all I could since it’s suppos to freeze hopefully that won’t hurt for future pickings.
Might not look like it but 11lbs total 13.34lbs - 2.19lb bucket

·
Registered
44 Posts
those are nice ones Deer man. What type of trees are you picking those on if you don't mind me asking? Looks like you got a buddy to hunt with there, I miss those days.
These have mostly been elms but we did find quite a few around hackberries which was a first for me.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
View attachment 4540 Finally felt decent and got time to head out and boy was I glad I did!!!
Finally found a decent motherlode!! Hauling them out in 5 gal bucket again! Most were all in one area got dark so didn’t get to check everywhere, left who knows how many older ones but picked all I could since it’s suppos to freeze hopefully that won’t hurt for future pickings.
Might not look like it but 11lbs total 13.34lbs - 2.19lb bucket
What county if I may ask ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Ray Charles are out - ironically I found most of those near my house lol - my quick hunt in the Lexington WMA turned out to be a near complete bust [about a dozen are not shown as I gave them away to a friend]- View attachment 4491
Iwon, since you seem to be the more, or less resident expert here, how do you really know how long a morel has been up when you find it? Obviously, there are a few factors, like air temperature, the wind, etc. What’s your take on that? Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
20180406_200808.jpg found 38 yesterday evening. Got a dusting of snow last night, I am going morel hunting in the snow to day, didn' think I would ever be doing that.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
iwon, where i hunt in iowa, when the Ray Charles show up it's about over usually, is it that way where you gather?
Not always: Ray Charles under Elms often means that the red cedar morels are at/reaching their peak. To get cedar morels to fruit, however, above-average rainfall are needed - which has not occurred for the last 3 years (including 2018)...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
Iwon, since you seem to be the more, or less resident expert here, how do you really know how long a morel has been up when you find it? Obviously, there are a few factors, like air temperature, the wind, etc. What’s your take on that? Thanks
Hard to say, but a slightly drier top and/or thinner and wider gills and/or oversized foot are the usual indicators that, given average environmental conditions, a morel has been "up" (fruited beyond embryo stage) for at least 14 days. Microclimate gradients can be drastic within the same forest patch with areas exposed to the sun fruiting 2-3 weeks before areas further downhill under thick cedars/facing east. Until you haven't walked the miles to study your patches year after year, there is no real way to know for certain. Morel hunting=lot of dedicated hard work :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello all Been watching this forum for 3-4 years now and have posted a few times. Glad to see everyone finding good numbers. I have found a total of about 200 east of okc so far. Was just wondering yalls thoughts of this crazy snow that we got. Am I just optimistic or do y’all think it will help with the rest of the season due to snow melting and absorbing slowly into the ground and all the nitrogen that it brings with it? Just wondering what y’all think.

481 - 500 of 618 Posts