Oklahoma Message Board 2018

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by iwonagain, Jan 29, 2018.

1. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Morning (first photo)/afternoon (2nd photo) foray: nearly 120 morels; most still very fresh :) IMG_8190.JPG IMG_8205.JPG

2. stormy

stormy Morel Connoisseur

Still can’t believe you’re finding all these grays?!

3. stormy

stormy Morel Connoisseur

Must be nice just to have a place to pick them, and not have to hunt for them?! I hope you guys know how good you have it?! ;-)

1 person likes this.
  4. shroomseeker

shroomseeker Morel Enthusiast

Another good find iwon!!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Sir kayakalot

Sir kayakalot Morel Enthusiast

They have it so good because of years of research and 100s of miles of boots on the ground. You get out of it what you put into it

6. stormy

stormy Morel Connoisseur

I can relate to all the boots on the ground, did that years ago back in Illinois! The point is, the ground is only going to produce what it’s going to produce no matter where you’re at, and obviously, it produces pretty well in Oklahoma! These guys have the same timbre now to hunt year after year, and they know where everything grows at, so it’s pretty much a no contest. Don’t go raising your eyebrow to me fella. Anybody can find mushrooms if they’re in the timber?! At least I can

1 person likes this.
  7. stormy

stormy Morel Connoisseur

What happened, you guys have a 9:30 curfew in Oklahoma?! ;-))

1 person likes this.
  8. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

240 today in an afternoon hunt. 12 pounds. These were much bigger than yesterday and all but a couple were really fresh and healthy! Oklahoma County. I had already sold a few pounds before pic. IMG_20180409_002042.jpg

Nautique, DirtyDog, Daxcat and 9 others like this.
  9. bh

bh Young Morel

1 person likes this.
  10. bh

bh Young Morel

AWESOME!!!!

1 person likes this.
  11. stormy

stormy Morel Connoisseur

That took some time just to lay them puppies out, I’m impressed! Nice display, A+ for extra effort! :))

1 person likes this.
  12. ilmorelgirlintx

ilmorelgirlintx Morel Enthusiast

13. ilmorelgirlintx

ilmorelgirlintx Morel Enthusiast

You still have your touch or should I say good SPOTS!!! Whew!! Congrats Nate :)

2 people like this.
  14. Charles Wood

Charles Wood Young Morel

I forgot sycamore trees as well

1 person likes this.
  15. ndwoods

ndwoods Morel Enthusiast

Isn’t the growing season about soil moisture and temp?? I’d like to think on a warming trend, these puppies will really pop!!! NE Okla has some really choice moisture in the soil...it’s just cold as hell !!!!

16. BigLou25433

BigLou25433 Young Morel

That my fellow morel pickers is where you can find a load, under a dead elm with the bark still on the dead tree. However after the tree has been dead for more than 2 seasons the likelihood of a morel find declines significantly. Best times for me has been the season following the death of the elm either natural or a cut stump and the next year after. I have found "shrooms in MN, IA, IL, IN and MI. Been hunting over 25 years. I have found yellows, greys, blacks, half frees and even the dreaded false morel. It's been a great hobby. I really enjoy being in the woods in spring. I also hunt oyster, chicken of the woods, hen of the woods, and lobsters but the small black morel is the king mushroom for taste. Grows on poplar tree roots in northern states and rocky mountain slopes.

dean martin likes this.
  17. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Nate, Nice Haul. Nice picture. No BS. Did you get those on cottons or elm or a mixture of stuff?

18. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Found these ~40 morels after work + a dozen not shown on this pic (were given away to a friend). IMG_8211.JPG

2 people like this.
  19. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

KB, a mixture. The first day it was predominantly cottonwood/cedar mix. The second day was more elm.

2 people like this.