Oklahoma Message Board 2018

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by iwonagain, Jan 29, 2018.

1. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Looks like Central OK *may* get some rain this Friday but the chances are still on the low side. The first major Spring-like storm system may arrive next Friday and even bring some well-needed rain in Western OK - Too early to tell at this point but at least there is some hope - I want my cedar spots to produce their usual clusters of mini gray morels :)

1 person likes this.
  2. stormy

stormy Morel Connoisseur

How much longer do you think you have with your season over there? Thanks

3. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Morel Connoisseur

Outsiders guess is probably 2-3 more weeks depending on location

2 people like this.
  4. pratherpea52

pratherpea52 Morel Enthusiast

When is it over in n w Arkansas or has it been been over and I’ve been just walk n the country side look n 4 no reason haven’t seen 1 here beginning 2 think they don’t even grow here in Washington co like they took some kinda magic mushroom spray took to the road and made a trip around the county line and maby it’s me 4 getting 2 look down. I’m gonna try looking down like people tell me 2. IDK

5. Deere Man

Deere Man Morel Enthusiast

IMG_2111.JPG IMG_2110.JPG Well I found 100 under one tree in a 25 minute hunt sad thing is if I would have been there a week ago I'd have close to 200 thanks to the cold it really hurt these. And of all trees I found them under it was an oak tree blown over. Wasn't even going hunting was looking for cows out.

5 people like this.
  6. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

hey Nate. Are you the one who had a profile pic a few years back of layin' in a tub with a hat and shades on covered with morels?

2 people like this.
  7. iwonagain

Found about 60 morels after work - many of which Ray Charles ! :) IMG_8232.JPG

3 people like this.
  8. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

20180410_220255.jpg 47 this evening

3 people like this.
  9. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Well, maybe if you mean this one IDK. Someone may have photoshopped me some shades. received_10213179706701490.jpeg

6 people like this.
  10. stormy

stormy Morel Connoisseur

Wow, that’s crazy, I hope you’re right, but it doesn’t seem likely?! Good luck

11. trotline

trotline Morel Connoisseur

Nate nice flathead!

1 person likes this.
  12. flatbottomfrank

flatbottomfrank Morel Enthusiast

Anyone else have experience with holes completely drying up? Two of my past goto spots have either not produced at all or only produced 1-2, in the last 3 seasons. The only thing I notice is a large increase in armadillo traffic. If its other pickers beating me there, they leave no sign, trace or even footprints.

13. flatbottomfrank

flatbottomfrank Morel Enthusiast

Check out Madison County Wildlife Management area, might be called McIlroy now.

1 person likes this.
  14. yocham85

my spot have not did Well for the past few seasons and two of the have did nothing in 3 years. I will check them again this weekend but it' been a rough year for me so far, only have 371 for the season. I also have been checking tons of new spots and am coming up empty.

1 person likes this.
  15. iwonagain

Most of my spots did not produce as well either [total of 800-900 morels so far]; except those which rely on Elms only *and* got >= 0.75 in of rain on March 27 [which I found was a minimum to trigger fruiting] *and* received >= 0.15 in [maintains top soil moist to allow the triggered morel embryos to grow] the following ~ 10 days. For Cottonwoods/cedar spots, there needs to be back to back [~7 day interval] soakers [> 0.5 in] - not surprisingly, none of my cedar spots produced (unless an elm was mixed in). All of this theory assumes, naturally that there aren't long stretches (>= 5 days) of >= 80F weather (especially windy days) embedded in between and especially before the main "triggering" rain event.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    4 people like this.
  16. bh

bh Young Morel

WOW

17. yocham85

I have some spots with a lot of cotton wood that hasn't produced anything in a while, like 5 years. The last time I got any thing there it was a good find. Probley pulled 500 out that year just at those cotton woods.

18. goshawk75

goshawk75 Morel Connoisseur

I know, dumbass yankee question. What is a Ray Charles? Been at this almost 50 years and haven't heard that one.

2 people like this.
  19. Deere Man

Deere Man Morel Enthusiast

Yea I haven't ether but I'm going to guess so big that a blind person could see it but I'm not sure.

1 person likes this.
  20. iwonagain

Found about 60 more freshies after work ! :) - and yes the Ray Charles are the large yellow morels that can be easily seen from the road or from afar; only a blind person would not be able to see them ;) IMG_8260.JPG