Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

541 - 560 of 618 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #541
Looks like Central OK *may* get some rain this Friday but the chances are still on the low side. The first major Spring-like storm system may arrive next Friday and even bring some well-needed rain in Western OK - Too early to tell at this point but at least there is some hope - I want my cedar spots to produce their usual clusters of mini gray morels :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like Central OK *may* get some rain this Friday but the chances are still on the low side. The first major Spring-like storm system may arrive next Friday and even bring some well-needed rain in Western OK - Too early to tell at this point but at least there is some hope - I want my cedar spots to produce their usual clusters of mini gray morels :)
How much longer do you think you have with your season over there? Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
When is it over in n w Arkansas or has it been been over and I’ve been just walk n the country side look n 4 no reason haven’t seen 1 here beginning 2 think they don’t even grow here in Washington co like they took some kinda magic mushroom spray took to the road and made a trip around the county line and maby it’s me 4 getting 2 look down. I’m gonna try looking down like people tell me 2. IDK

·
Registered
44 Posts
IMG_2111.JPG
IMG_2110.JPG
Well I found 100 under one tree in a 25 minute hunt sad thing is if I would have been there a week ago I'd have close to 200 thanks to the cold it really hurt these. And of all trees I found them under it was an oak tree blown over. Wasn't even going hunting was looking for cows out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone else have experience with holes completely drying up? Two of my past goto spots have either not produced at all or only produced 1-2, in the last 3 seasons. The only thing I notice is a large increase in armadillo traffic. If its other pickers beating me there, they leave no sign, trace or even footprints.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Iwon, I am from West Central Illinois, but now I’m living in north eastern Arkansas near the Missouri border. There is hardly any public access around here to hunt in. I have only found a few last year, and this year so far. There is no vegetation growing in the hills around here and Ashgroves are kind of sparse, so I’ve been trying to find creek and river bed areas to look for them in I am desperate to find a decent place to hunt, but I’ve driven all over and have really struggled to find any place. Only thing I can think of, is to start knocking on people’ doors and ask if I can hunt on their property, what do you think? Sure wish you were around to help give me some advice!
Check out Madison County Wildlife Management area, might be called McIlroy now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Anyone else have experience with holes completely drying up? Two of my past goto spots have either not produced at all or only produced 1-2, in the last 3 seasons. The only thing I notice is a large increase in armadillo traffic. If its other pickers beating me there, they leave no sign, trace or even footprints.
my spot have not did Well for the past few seasons and two of the have did nothing in 3 years. I will check them again this weekend but it' been a rough year for me so far, only have 371 for the season. I also have been checking tons of new spots and am coming up empty.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #555 (Edited)
my spot have not did Well for the past few seasons and two of the have did nothing in 3 years. I will check them again this weekend but it' been a rough year for me so far, only have 371 for the season. I also have been checking tons of new spots and am coming up empty.
Most of my spots did not produce as well either [total of 800-900 morels so far]; except those which rely on Elms only *and* got >= 0.75 in of rain on March 27 [which I found was a minimum to trigger fruiting] *and* received >= 0.15 in [maintains top soil moist to allow the triggered morel embryos to grow] the following ~ 10 days. For Cottonwoods/cedar spots, there needs to be back to back [~7 day interval] soakers [> 0.5 in] - not surprisingly, none of my cedar spots produced (unless an elm was mixed in). All of this theory assumes, naturally that there aren't long stretches (>= 5 days) of >= 80F weather (especially windy days) embedded in between and especially before the main "triggering" rain event.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have some spots with a lot of cotton wood that hasn't produced anything in a while, like 5 years. The last time I got any thing there it was a good find. Probley pulled 500 out that year just at those cotton woods.

541 - 560 of 618 Posts